Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Return of the Champions League

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Finally.
We are playing Barcelona on Wednesday and after their defeat to Valencia tonight, I am not sure whether that's a good thing or not. I expect us to be competative throughout the game and if we manage to get a 0:0 I would be quite happy. I do hope that Rafa will go for the win.

Inter vs Valencia I suspect will be an awesome game.
Anyway, I expect these teams to go through:

AC Milan (too much quality for Celtic even if without strikers)
Man Utd (will be too strong for Lille and will have Giggs and Ferdinand rested)
PSV (just coz I am hatin')
Real Madrid (shock of the round)
Liverpool (obvious reasons)
Chelsea (will scrape through)
Lyon (in form, Roma isn't)
Inter (be a hard game, but Inter should shade it)

I bet you all agree with me!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i think...

ac milan will go through, but wont win both legs.
    man u will spank lille all over the pitch both legs.
    arsenal will lose 1st leg, win the second and go through.
    real madrid will overcome munich
    i would love liverpool to win, but i think barca will progress
    chelsea will beat porto
    lyon will beat roma
    and inter will (just) get through against an unlucky valencia.
    Thank God Champions League is back. I've been salivating over this round since I saw the draw. I remember I'd just come out of my last exam before Christmas, straight to the pub at 11.30am - Sky Sports News scroller: Manchester United vs Lille :D ... Barcelona vs Liverpool :D:D

Saying that, I don't think Lille will be a pushover but if we go out to them I'll be just as fucked off as last year's disaster.

Anyway, to go through:

AC Milan
    Man Utd
    Arsenal
    Real Madrid
    Barcelona
    Chelsea
    Lyon
    Inter

Which will leave the best 8 teams in Europe in the competition, which is what everyone wants really.
    C'mon Lille!
    Yes, hopefully Man United get found out. Evil can only triumph when good men do nothing, so hopefully Lille get stuck in.

I'd imagine Celtic will get found our too because they probably won't get a bottler of a ref like they did at they weekend. It'd be nice if they got through though, if only for the co-efficients and to piss off the "BUT WUR STILL IN THA UEFA CUP" brigade from Govan.

Arsenal should be fine, and I've a funny feeling the Scouse will pull it out of the bag.
    AC haven't been playing the best this season so maybe Celtic can pull of a shock and maybe even win the whole thing, picture them singing "30 years of hurt..." :D

Mon the pool! :thumb:
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    AC haven't been playing the best this season so maybe Celtic can pull of a shock and maybe even win the whole thing, picture them singing "30 years of hurt..." :D

If Celtic could transfer a fraction of their home form to away games they'd be a force to be reckoned with. They have some great players like Nakamura and Jan biggest name in footballlink, but they leave it so difficult for themselves by always getting done away from home, even by relatively poor sides.
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Yes, hopefully Man United get found out. Evil can only triumph when good men do nothing, so hopefully Lille get stuck in.

how appropriate, if a little ironic.
    arsenal on the way out (fingers crossed)!
    It's a shame the French police are cunts of the highest order (for once it wasn't the Man Utd fans causing the violence) and its a shame Giggs is a cheat.

Arsenal are lazy and deserve to get knocked out.
    Kermit wrote: »
    It's a shame the French police are cunts of the highest order (for once it wasn't the Man Utd fans causing the violence) and its a shame Giggs is a cheat.

Why's that? Still having trouble with rules are we?
    Giggs goal - Perfectly legal and should be no complaints!

The dis-allowed Lille goal to me was perfectly ok, little arm on the shoulder that looked a lot worse in slow motion than it actually was. You get collisions like that when challenging for a header, if this had being a meaningless header in the middle of the park nothing would have being given IMO. This was a very lucky escape for the scum IMO!!
    Addict wrote: »
    Why's that? Still having trouble with rules are we?

I think not waiting to the whistle is very dodgy, and that includes when my team score goals like that.

*shrug*
    Celtic were outplayed last night, there’s no way they’re going to get anything in the San Siro.

Milan didn’t even do much in the final third, but then they didn’t have to because they know Celtic will collapse away from home.
    I think not waiting to the whistle is very dodgy, and that includes when my team score goals like that.

*shrug*
    Hows that? Its just like any free-kick anywhere on the pitch, you can just put the ball down and take it, just because the ball is in front of goal then it should be no different! Obviously if you want the wall to be moved back you have to wait till the whistle!!
    These are profesionals and know the rules, they shouldn't be stupid enough to get caught out like that! The keeper should be ready for the free-kick and only set his wall up if the ref counts it out!
    and its a shame Giggs is a cheat.

I seem to remember Henry doing that a few times and I can't recall anyone branding him a cheat. I imagine that, just like Henry, Giggs asked the referee if he could take it. Otherwise, the ref should stop the game. It's not Giggs' fault that the French took forever to organise their wall.
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Celtic were outplayed last night, there’s no way they’re going to get anything in the San Siro.

Milan didn’t even do much in the final third, but then they didn’t have to because they know Celtic will collapse away from home.

Yup, the Jungle Jims will be found out big time time in the San Siro. Thank fuck for that too.
    I seem to remember Henry doing that a few times and I can't recall anyone branding him a cheat. I imagine that, just like Henry, Giggs asked the referee if he could take it. Otherwise, the ref should stop the game. It's not Giggs' fault that the French took forever to organise their wall.
    You're right, you could clearly see the ref asking giggs if he wanted the whistle, giggs said no and took the free-kick, it was a perfectly legal goal!
    I'm torn, I do think it a little unsporting, and I thought it unsporting when Dean Windass did it to score the winning goal against Arsenal for us too.

Not that I cared too much then :lol:
    It's a controversial goal, nothing more nothing less.
    I believe that the ref should have made sure that he told giggs to wait for the whistle. But since he didn't, Giggs had every right to take advantage.
    And the walking out was just stupid, they would have been fined, banned and have had to forfeit the away leg too. Stupid Lille.
    Thay should have won anyway, they had enough chances. Oh and Vidic really needs to ask Ronaldo for advice on a good dive. :thumb:
    migpilot wrote: »
    I believe that the ref should have made sure that he told giggs to wait for the whistle. But since he didn't, Giggs had every right to take advantage.
    Why would you believe that??
    If the ball was in the middle of the park you don't have to wait for the whistle, its up to the players if they want the wall moving back and to then wait for the whistle. It is no way the refs choice!!
    I'm torn, I do think it a little unsporting,

Me too. It's within the rules and so Lille cannot complain. Perhpas the other unsporting thing is to foul someone and then take your time building a wall to prevent the attack which you stopped in the first place :chin:
    I didn't see anything wrong with Lille's disallowed goal either, but at the same time, you see attackers penalised for the slightest of tugs/pushes in the box all the time. Those decisions nearly always favour the defence or keeper.

Giggs was within his right to hit the quick free kick. I'd be pissed off if it happened against us, but it's not against the rules. It's not a controversial goal and I don't know why the Lille players saw the need to act like 12-year-olds because of it. Whoever that guy was who was waving them off the pitch could have ended their champions league participation.
    Addict wrote: »
    I didn't see anything wrong with Lille's disallowed goal either, but at the same time, you see attackers penalised for the slightest of tugs/pushes in the box all the time. Those decisions nearly always favour the defence or keeper.

Giggs was within his right to hit the quick free kick. I'd be pissed off if it happened against us, but it's not against the rules. It's not a controversial goal and I don't know why the Lille players saw the need to act like 12-year-olds because of it. Whoever that guy was who was waving them off the pitch could have ended their champions league participation.

Agree with all that.

What does everybody reckon about tonight? I can see Liverpool sneaking a draw.
    i thought it was highly amusing when ferguson said in his post match interview that lilles actions were intimidating to the referee

this coming from the team that for years screamed in the ref's face when a decision went against them
    Why would you believe that??
    If the ball was in the middle of the park you don't have to wait for the whistle, its up to the players if they want the wall moving back and to then wait for the whistle. It is no way the refs choice!!

So if a ref gave a free kick anywhere else on the pitch and a couple of Lille guys were standing a few yards away trying to form a wall and giggs went and hit the ball into them, should they receive a yellow card?
    If you say a freekick from which there can be a goal scoring opportunity is the same as a free kick anywhere else, why is making of a wall allowed then and not at half way line?
    The ref saw that the Lille guys were setting up the wall and that one of them had his back away from the ball, he saw all that and yet he walked away and Giggs scored.
    Would you be happy if someone sucker punched you while you were looking away?
    Don't think so!!!
    Liverpool's beaten the scum at the Nou Crap.

Oh the joy! :D
    Good results for Liverpool and Chelsea. Didn't see anything wrong with Giggs' goal. As someone else said, if you've stopped someone's attack illegally, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to take the initiative and carry it on. Of course in that case, it's completely acceptable to stand over the ball until the referee has told you to get back ten yards. If Lille didn't do that, then it's their own fault. Oh, and I can still see Arsenal getting through.
    Craig Bellamy's golf club goal celebration made me chuckle...
    Would love to see Celtic Vs Man Utd in the final, would be a cracker of a game.

Can see Celtic beating Milan after last night, never underestimate them.

Man Utd didn't play well at all last night, should have done alot better.

Glad for Liverpool even though i don't support them, coming back from 1-0 at Nou Camp to beat Barca.
    migpilot wrote: »
    So if a ref gave a free kick anywhere else on the pitch and a couple of Lille guys were standing a few yards away trying to form a wall and giggs went and hit the ball into them, should they receive a yellow card?

If they're not 10 yards and they're deliberately obstructing the flow of play then yes, they should get booked.

If you say a freekick from which there can be a goal scoring opportunity is the same as a free kick anywhere else, why is making of a wall allowed then and not at half way line?

Why would the defending team make a wall at the half way line? :confused:

The attacking team decides whether to take a quick free kick, or wait for a wall. The defending team don't have a say. The only way Giggs could've been in the wrong was if he asked for a wall, then subsequently kicked it before the referee had blown his whistle.
    The ref saw that the Lille guys were setting up the wall and that one of them had his back away from the ball, he saw all that and yet he walked away and Giggs scored.

That's because Giggs chose to take a quick one and not wait for a wall to be set up. Just because the Lille players were setting their own wall, didn't mean Giggs had to take one.