Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Using the Tube

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
How would I get from Kings Cross to Hyde Park (W4) on the tube? My destination being the Hilton Hyde Park hotel.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Just down the Picadilly line I think. Should only take 10 mins
    Picadilly line :yes:

Are you going to be carrying a lot of luggage? I can have a look at bus routes for you if you want? *hates the Tube* ;)
    If you did decide to go by bus you could get a 73 or a number 10.

You might find Transport for London's journey planner website helpful, it's pretty good but not perfect: http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en

Also if you are wondering about getting around London by foot during your trip then I really like this website: www.walkit.com
    Just on a similar vane, would people recommend getting an Oyster card? I'm expecting to be in London a few times in the coming months, and I know Oyster is so much cheaper (half the price on the buses, more on the tube). Is it worth the faff?
    Kermit wrote: »
    Just on a similar vane, would people recommend getting an Oyster card? I'm expecting to be in London a few times in the coming months, and I know Oyster is so much cheaper (half the price on the buses, more on the tube). Is it worth the faff?

Definately as it now cost £4 for a zone one SINGLE on the tube without an oyster card!

You have a choice with oyster, if you can't be bothered with the form or don't want to provide any information on yourself you can just buy the card (for three pounds) and then top it up with some money and start using it.

If you can be bothered to fill out a short form (like name and address etc) then you can "register" it and then if you lose the thing or it gets stolen you can get back any money that you had put on it.

Also you won't have to queue up everytime to by a ticket and on the buses it doesn't matter if the machine at your stop is out of order (as none of the central London buses now let you by the ticket on board, you have to buy it from the machine at the bus stop for £2 or just use oyster for £1).

I looked at getting an Oyster before, but they really arent worth the hassle I found!

If your only in London for a day at a time, just buy a day travelcard.

Hope that helps

:thumb:
    Calvin wrote: »
    If your only in London for a day at a time, just buy a day travelcard.
    That's true actually, day travel cards from your original destination can work out cheaper.

If you were thinking of buying a day travel card whilst in London (if you are staying here) then it is worth knowing that the oyster cards are "capped" so it should never cost you more than the price of the equivalent day travel card within London e.g. If you travelled zones 1 to 4 lots of times with your oyster on a given day it would never cost you more than the price of a zone 1 to 4 day travel card. This can be useful if you aren't sure what your day might entail so don't know if the travel card would be better value that day or not when you set off in the morning.
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    How would I get from Kings Cross to Hyde Park (W4) on the tube? My destination being the Hilton Hyde Park hotel.

I've just looked up that specific hotel and it seems that the nearest tube is actually Bayswater not Hyde Park Corner. Therefore it would seem that from Kings Cross the tube line you need would be the circle line (yellow on the tube maps).

This website might help you too for your trip (this is the page for that hotel): http://www.londontown.com/LondonHotel/Hilton/Hilton_Hyde_Park

Also the above website has a tube map too and other info on London you might find helpful.
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I've just looked up that specific hotel and it seems that the nearest tube is actually Bayswater not Hyde Park Corner. Therefore it would seem that from Kings Cross the tube line you need would be the circle line (yellow on the tube maps).

This website might help you too for your trip (this is the page for that hotel): http://www.londontown.com/LondonHotel/Hilton/Hilton_Hyde_Park

Also the above website has a tube map too and other info on London you might find helpful.

That's really helpful, thank you!

Havnig had a look at all the websites etc, we've decided to take a cab from the station to the hotel. We're saving loads on the train down to London because a friend works for GNER and we're getting less than half price accomodation because a family member works for Hilton Hotels, so I think we'll take a cab.

So, anyone know how much a cab is likely to be for the 8 mile journey?

I think I might ask Uncle Allen to pick me up, since he's a London cabbie... :chin:
    Shouldnt be more than £20, a lot more than the tube obviously, but you pay for the luxary of not carrying all your stuf through crowded platforms.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/pco/taxi_fares.shtml
    olaola wrote: »
    Shouldnt be more than £20, a lot more than the tube obviously, but you pay for the luxary of not carrying all your stuf through crowded platforms.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/pco/taxi_fares.shtml

£20?! I think I'll be giving old Uncle Allen a call!
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    £20?! I think I'll be giving old Uncle Allen a call!

If you are staying in that hotel you should be able to afford it!! :P I was in London at the end of January there and we were staying in the cheapest hostel we could find but for a classy night out went to the bar on the 28th floor of that particular Hilton- the view is amazing! The cheapest drink on the menu however was a £7 beer though so we didn't drink much. lol. :)
    silverhalo wrote: »
    If you are staying in that hotel you should be able to afford it!! :P I was in London at the end of January there and we were staying in the cheapest hostel we could find but for a classy night out went to the bar on the 28th floor of that particular Hilton- the view is amazing! The cheapest drink on the menu however was a £7 beer though so we didn't drink much. lol. :)

Yes, but...
    we're getting less than half price accomodation because a family member works for Hilton Hotels

Plus, I think you're thinking of the Park Lane Hilton anyway.

Even if I was super rich I would begrudge £20 for a short journey. I'm cheap like that!
    Kings Cross to Bayswater, will be more than £20.

I went for Regent Street to Bayswater and that was £15!

But it will depend on what time of day your arriving.

:thumb:
    You have to remember that going by car anywhere in central London takes ages, which contributes to higher cab costs.

Kermit, if you're not going to be getting your train and travel cards combined then it's definitely worth getting oyster. They don't need to be hassle, you can buy it (£3), put some money on it at the same time and off you go. Far easier than ticket machines, cheaper and doesn't need you to have change. If you want you can buy it online and register it etc, or just get it from anywhere that sells them.
    I was thinking of getting Oyster, basically because I don't know how far I'll be travelling each day and I know it always chooses the cheapest fare. Seems like I'll have to get one ordered.

I'd register it because I'm cheap and want the £3 back:D
    In which case get one, I don't use mine that often as I live outside London, but I love it when I do.
    I was thinking of getting Oyster, basically because I don't know how far I'll be travelling each day and I know it always chooses the cheapest fare. Seems like I'll have to get one ordered.

Definitely get one. The one Rich got me has made my life SO much easier. No more waiting for ticket machines :hyper:.

I hope you're going to come and see me while you're in London, young man...
    If you do get an Oyster card, definately register it. I was pickpocketed within the first hour being in London and had just forked out for a 7 day pass. It cost me £22. I wasn't told about the whole registering thing and had to fork out another £22. It annoyed me so much when I was told that I could have got it back :grump:

Oyster cards are so much easier though. I have one and still do. If I ever go back to London, I suppose I'll use it.

You don't get the three pounds back, just the cash on the card itself (e.g. if you bought the oyster card and the put £20 on it you'd get the £20 back).

But still worth it. Also you can register it at the sales desk at the station if you ask (the staff are lazy and / or over worked so rarely tell people that they can do this but they can).
    (the staff are lazy and / or over worked so rarely tell people that they can do this but they can).

:grump: I know.

The guy I saw when I went to buy another card went "Didn't you register it?" and I was like whattt? :(
    Also another major advantage of Oyster is that is you do get a bit mixed up and lost and end up in a zone that you didn't expect to travel into then you don't have to worry that your ticket is not valid if you get inspected and as they only moniter where you swipe in and swipe out you won't usually end up paying for crazy little detours as long as you stay on the right side of the ticket barriers.

I'm sure it's not only me that does this :blush:
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    That's true actually, day travel cards from your original destination can work out cheaper.

If you were thinking of buying a day travel card whilst in London (if you are staying here) then it is worth knowing that the oyster cards are "capped" so it should never cost you more than the price of the equivalent day travel card within London e.g. If you travelled zones 1 to 4 lots of times with your oyster on a given day it would never cost you more than the price of a zone 1 to 4 day travel card. This can be useful if you aren't sure what your day might entail so don't know if the travel card would be better value that day or not when you set off in the morning.

Last time I was in London (Novemberish?) Oyster's were capped at 50p less than the day travelcard. For example Z12 is £5.10 normally but £4.60 on Oyster.

The other trick is to buy a combined rail/travelcard ticket. ie: Finsbury Park to Z12 travelcard. Or at least it used to be.
    JsT wrote: »
    Last time I was in London (Novemberish?) Oyster's were capped at 50p less than the day travelcard. For example Z12 is £5.10 normally but £4.60 on Oyster.

The other trick is to buy a combined rail/travelcard ticket. ie: Finsbury Park to Z12 travelcard. Or at least it used to be.

I didn't know that!

The only issue with the combined rail/travelcard ticket is that you have to buy them outside of central London. So like when my family visit me they buy a combined travel card which includes the train and tube but when I do the same journey in reverse to visit them I have to by two tube singles plus a return ticket for the train which works out a lot more expensive than the exact same round trip done the other way around :grump: