Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Basic Quiche Filling

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi!

Tomorrow I'm planning on cooking a quiche, but instead of pastry the base will be sausagemeat. I've forgotten how to do a simple quiche filling though- onion, cheese, egg and milk, and all the online recipes are with other fillings.

Can anyone give me a quick rundown of quantities? ta!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I buy my quiche. might give a homemade one a go if somone posts a quiche for idiots guide...
    i just put the filling in that i want (mushroom, leeks, onions etc) and then mix an egg or two (depends how many I have!) with some milk/cream/soft cheese like you would if you were making an omelette and pur that on top with lots of black pepper. Sometimes you'll have a firm quiche (more egg less milk) and sometimes a wobbly one (less egg more milk) or a creamy one (egg and cream). Cheese on top and in the oven until it looks done

Erm not really a recipe but thats what i do
    do you make your own or use a shop pastry crust?
    I make my own. half fat to flour. I usually use stork, but I've used utterly butterly rip off, flora and real butter...anything really! shop bought is ok but more expensive
    Shortcrust pastry is quite easy to make. It's puff-pastry that's hard, because you need to roll in layers of butter. pastry recipe.
    I looked at the shop bought ones, and at 60-65p they were way too much to make it worthwhile, when a quiche is only 80p. I love quiche. might try making my own...
    Delia has the most rediculous recipe for one of the simplest things, she makes it much harder than it is

You can use half butter half lard that's traditional but as long as the fat/flour ratio is right you'll be fine. I normally just use all marge. I've also used old flour and strong white flour when I've been short and my pastry has been fine. I never sift the flour either and I don't add salt
    Being light with your fingers is not a special gift, it's just a conscious decision, a signal the brain gives to the fingertips, and then a bit of concentration.

Ok what the hell is she on about now?
    Keep cool – this means yourself, psychologically, as well

Seriously :eek2:

It's better to leave the pastry to stand, but not all of us have time for that and unless you want to proudly serve up your quiche at 1 in the morning I wouldn't bother. Your pastry might crack a little when you're rolling but the great thing about shortcrust pastry is that it patches up very well!

I can't find a good recipe so here's my version!

Recipe!
    8oz flour
    4oz fat (whichever you choose, if its hard like butter you'll need to soften it, marge is fine to start)

*Put the flour into a bowl. Add the marge in small chunks
    *Cover the marge with flour and then begin rubbing everything between your fingers and your thumb VERY lightly but fast. What I do is lift the mix into the air while I'm rubbing and let it drop back down
    *Keep doing that until it looks like breadcrumbs
    *Add the tiniest bit of water (less than a tsp) and mix everything around with a knife. It will start to stick together. Add more water if necessary until it all sticks very lightly together. I don't wait until mine is in a flawless ball, there's still a lot of bits hanging off which I stick on when I roll it out - this makes a lovely light crunchy pastry
    *Put on a floured worktop and squash into a ball. Roll out, adding any bits that fall off back on
    *Voila!

I just posted this in the pancake thread, I was so confused that people were making their pastry out of milk and eggs! :confused:
    kangoo wrote: »
    I just posted this in the pancake thread, I was so confused that people were making their pastry out of milk and eggs! :confused:

rofl

thanks for that recipe, if I make it successfully, I'll let you know, otherwise I'll keep quiet about ever having made an attempt! lol
    good luck!
    well the sausage meat quiche has also gone down very well, thanks guys :)
    Big grin on my face, I tried this and it's more than edible, it's almost lush. I wadged some old brie, onion and leek into it and it's unusual- a bit too eggy and the pastry is weird, but next time!