Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Electric tokens

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just moved in to a new flat which uses electricity tokens but I haven't been able to get a swipe card from the energy supplier (I'll have to wait til monday for that) and it's already using the emergency credit.

I know someone who has got the same type of meter, would I be able to use their swipe card to obtain tokens for my meter? IIRC the tokens don't seem to be linked to the swipe card machine so would this work in the intrim?

If it's any help, the token it would take are the long rectangular green ones with a black strip running underneath it.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You can use another persons swipe card to buy tokens as the cards are not actually unique to the meter, so this would work for the time being. However if your energy provider are sending you out a card they should be able to give you the number off the card which you can then quote at the shop to buy the tokens- this would be the best thing to do as it can get a bit messy usin other people's cards. Also if your emergency credit gets below 50p and you have no other means of topping up your meter, your energy supplier should agree to send out an engineer to top it up until your card comes through.

I work in a call centre for an energy supplier (only for the time being thank god!) and this is how it works with our company so i would imagine there all pretty much the same!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you use someone else's card, at the end of the billing year they would get the money back for it as they haven't used it. And you would have to pay again.