Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Dreaded Lurghy!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not really sure how you spell lurghy, never had to spell it!

Well... I have just got this horrible coldy thing that is going around... still in the very early stages and am feeling my throat becoming very tight pressure around my sinuses - my boyfriend has had it since Saturday and is currently really under it.

The main problem is, we are due to get married on Saturday!

I have all the usual remedies and am eating lots of fruit and drinking water but I wondered if any of you have any other suggestions for getting over this in the next three days?! Any suggestions at all gladly accepted!

Comments

• Options
    Echinacea is supposed to be good you can get it in tablet form aswell as a tea. I got about 10 teabags of it from Fenwick for about 98p but you can get it from different places.
  • Options
    Ooo I've heard Echinacea is good... used my lunchtime up today on a doctors appointment though - humph, will have to see if anyone else is going into town! I know it is herbal but can I take it alongside other cold/flu meds?

The pressure behind my eyes is getting quite sore, I don't like this!
  • Options
    Oh my god! You poor things! I find that mucron helps with congestion, you can buy it over the counter at Boots. I also tend to buy an olbas oil inhaler which is great at clearing your nose and perking you up. Other than that, take it as easy as possible, drink loads, sleep as much as you can
  • Options
    The sleeping bit is the problem... i'm meant to be working until Thursday with lots of stuff to do in the evenings! My lovely husband to be is currently lazing at home but saying that he is further on than I am... I am just hoping it won't come out fully in me and I can keep it at bay!

*drinks orange juice for vit C
  • Options
    Vicks now have a new medicine that you take at the beginning of the cold that stops it coming on. Get to Boots ASAP. Explain this to your boss and hopefully you'll be allowed to nip out.
  • Options
    Thing is since it's a virus it's technically untreatable, all you can do is sort out the symptoms really. Feeding your immune system though will make everything generally less painful.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Thing is since it's a virus it's technically untreatable, all you can do is sort out the symptoms really. Feeding your immune system though will make everything generally less painful.

Yeh, thats kind of what I am thinking. I know Echinacea can fasttrack the virus a little bit so have sent colleague out to Tesco!

I know it isn't something I can really change but this wedding has been 20 months in the planning and it decides a week before to hit! Admittedly it's probably down to a low immune system as now things are organised I am starting to relax... Ho hum :)
  • Options
    What's commonly known as sod's law :razz:

I'm sure you'll have a great day whatever! Pretty much everyone I know had something go wrong on their wedding day :p but most people look back and laugh at it!

What you can do is get paracetomal and ibuprofen, then alternate taking them when the symptoms come on. Best over the counter pain killing remedy I know!
  • Options
    if you have a blocked nose try to see if you can get something called clarinase and take it the night before the wedding as your going to bed, as i've found after taking it for a few days my nose gets runny. The first day is fine though.
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    if you have a blocked nose try to see if you can get something called clarinase and take it the night before the wedding as your going to bed, as i've found after taking it for a few days my nose gets runny. The first day is fine though.

Ooo will make a note of that, thanks...

Just took some Echinacea my colleague got me - fingers crossed it will help!
  • Options
    You said you've made a GP appointment in your lunch hour. What did they say? If it's a cold it was probably a bit of a wasted appointment but I hope he/she gave some tips.

If I were you I would call in sick and hop into bed until Saturday. Honestly, if you keep working not only will you spread it around (and perhaps cause wedding guests to fall ill and thus not be able to attend the big day!) but you'll stress yourself out more and you'lll just get more and more run down.

Get to bed woman and pamper yourself. You said yourself that it's been a long time in the planning and nobody wants to see you holding a hanky to blow your snotty nose whilst saying 'I do'!!
  • Options
    you need to rest and make sure you keep up your intake of fluids. i had a virus/cold and it turned into a very painful case of sinusitis. :(
    hope you feel better soon and good luck with the wedding! :heart:
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    You said you've made a GP appointment in your lunch hour. What did they say? If it's a cold it was probably a bit of a wasted appointment but I hope he/she gave some tips.

If I were you I would call in sick and hop into bed until Saturday. Honestly, if you keep working not only will you spread it around (and perhaps cause wedding guests to fall ill and thus not be able to attend the big day!) but you'll stress yourself out more and you'lll just get more and more run down.

Get to bed woman and pamper yourself. You said yourself that it's been a long time in the planning and nobody wants to see you holding a hanky to blow your snotty nose whilst saying 'I do'!!

You are right but unfortunately it isn't as easy as that... I had a lot of time off over Christmas with pancreatitus and I just don't feel in a position to take the time off (if I get a lot worse I of course will).

The doctors appointment was this morning was for something related but different... I found a lump on the back of my neck a couple of days ago and wanted to get it checked out, I thought it might be a swollen gland and the doctor agrees with me, that coupled with my current symptoms I am sure they are linked but it was worth getting it checked out to put my mind at rest!

I am spending this evening putting the favour boxes together but will no doubt crash out straight away after that!
  • Options
    by the way i tend to spell it lurgy - not sure if that's the dictionary spelling though! ;)

what are you putting in your favour boxes? my sister had wine gums and sugared almonds but i don't like almonds so i had a special one made with a wine gum. :D
  • Options

what are you putting in your favour boxes? my sister had wine gums and sugared almonds but i don't like almonds so i had a special one made with a wine gum. :D

I was going to ask that too! Also, how long did it take to plan the wedding? You said 20 months but most websites I've been on say about 6-12. I want to start planning mine right now but it;s not until the end of next year :(
  • Options
    by the way i tend to spell it lurgy - not sure if that's the dictionary spelling though! ;)

Mine are quite personal but I got the idea from the last wedding I went to. I donated £100 to the Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation in memory of my Dad and got bands for the boys and badges for the girls in return.

At least it means that when they are left on the tables it won't matter as the money has already gone to a good cause!
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    I was going to ask that too! Also, how long did it take to plan the wedding? You said 20 months but most websites I've been on say about 6-12. I want to start planning mine right now but it;s not until the end of next year :(

It is completely up to you - when we first set a date I thought it sounded so far away, but by doing bits here and there it has really taken the pressure off me now.

I started looking for my dress in November '05 and gave myself the deadline of April '06 - I found it early March and was so happy with it because I knew I had given myself the time to shop around!
  • Options
    TammyGTammyG Posts: 15 Settling in
    Sorry to take the attention away from wedding chat, but I just wanted to point out a very good article which may help you get over your cold.
    Good luck, and let us know how you get on! :thumb:
  • Options
    Splodgey wrote: »
    Mine are quite personal but I got the idea from the last wedding I went to. I donated £100 to the Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation in memory of my Dad and got bands for the boys and badges for the girls in return.

At least it means that when they are left on the tables it won't matter as the money has already gone to a good cause!

aww that's a really sweet idea! :)
  • Options
    TammyG wrote: »
    Sorry to take the attention away from wedding chat, but I just wanted to point out a very good article which may help you get over your cold.
    Good luck, and let us know how you get on! :thumb:

Thanks for that Tammy! Seem to be doing a lot of their suggestions so fingers crossed I will get over this before it really takes hold :)
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    Vicks now have a new medicine that you take at the beginning of the cold that stops it coming on. Get to Boots ASAP. Explain this to your boss and hopefully you'll be allowed to nip out.

First defense it's called - saw it in the chemist yest. Apparently it's brilliant.
  • Options
    Well... I'm doing ok... Still in the same state as I was Wednesday, not feeling great but knowing something is still waiting to come out - I'm keeping my fingers crossed it will stay in this limbo till Sunday :)
  • Options
    Well just an update - somehow I seemed to have managed to fend it off! (sheer bloodymindedness I think :D) Something may still appear in the next few weeks but the main thing is that I was fit and healthy on our wedding day, as was the groom!

Thank you all for your help and suggestions!
  • Options
    aww happy for you!
  • Options
    I have the lurgy at the moment :(

Its horrible.