Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What do you put in your porridge?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i think if i remember rightly she has orange juice or water or something else obscure! (imo :p).

:yuck:
  • Options
    i would've thought a shops own brand was more a cheaper version?

Probably is, but there's not that much in it, and I'm not a cheapskate.
  • Options
    My understanding of the origin of porage (resulting from years of being bored to death by dearest daddy about any and all things Scottish) is that it's just one of those things that came about because some Scottish manufacturer or other called their particular oats "porage oats"... and it thus became synonymous with the foodstuff generally over time. Especially in Scotland.

Could be wrong of course :)
  • Options
    i looove raspberry jam in my porridge :) failing that, i like a good dollop of golden/maple syrup! mmmm
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    lipsy wrote: »
    :yuck: you don't add any liquid to it?
    Nooo, I put water in it! The oats are creamy enough with just water. And it is muesli I put orange juice with. ;)
  • Options
    I must be really unhealthy, I make it with milk, then put golden syrup and pour double cream on it. I think I've always had it that way since I was a kid!
  • Options
    I had my porridge with some black cherry jam this morning acquired from my flatmate who gets jam for free :D
  • Options
    Cinnamon and raisins is good especially if you add them before you cook it, it akes the raisins warmer and they seem juicier.

Also good is getting a bag of frozen summer fruit mix or frozen raspberries and adding a handful before you cook the porridge. It is really easy and they keep for a lot longer than fresh berries.
  • Options
    I just buy the already flavored kind. Peaches and cream all the way :thumb: With blueberries and cream at a close second.

But milk is anecissity. I hate thick sticky oatmeal. Runny and soupy all the way.