Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What would you do?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, i am currently a care assistant and have been since last june. But i have been off sick with depression since december.

Recently been on holiday and realised i want to go back into payroll which i did for 2.5yrs previously, i have 3 job interviews this week but i dont know what to tell them because i am still signed off sick at my current job and its just making me look like a week candidate, which maybe i am but i need a stable job.

I just can't cope with going back to my current job for numerous reasons.

On application forms it keeps asking about my health and how much time i have had off sick in the last year. i dont want to lie incase i get caught out and if i tell the truth it will most definately put employers off me because of my sickness. I just don't know what to do, i just really want a job so i can sort my life out.

So what would you do?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How did you get these interviews? Just by sending a CV? (ie you've not had to mention you're currently off work yet)
    through agencies, i got offered a job today from a interview i had today but they dont know about my sickness as ive not filled out the application form yet, but i start on mon
    I'm sure someone (maybe Kermit?) will know about the Disability Discrimination Act (I think that's what it's called, and I think mental health, inc depression, is covered by it), but I'm fairly sure they can't recined the offer on the grounds of you having [had] depression.

However, I do I think you should at least make them aware of your past. It would be good for them to know your trigger points and how they can help you overcome them. I'm sure they would appreciate you telling them and you may well feel a bit better - takes the pressure off, so to speak.

Are you to complete the application form and take it with you on Monday or send it in before? If it's hand in on Mon, I'd ask the HR person you give it to if you can go back later in the day for a chat about it (hitting them with it at 9am on Monday morning might be a bit much!); if it's before, I'd phone up before hand.

Good luck :)
    I'm sure someone (maybe Kermit?) will know about the Disability Discrimination Act (I think that's what it's called, and I think mental health, inc depression, is covered by it), but I'm fairly sure they can't recined the offer on the grounds of you having [had] depression.

However, I do I think you should at least make them aware of your past. It would be good for them to know your trigger points and how they can help you overcome them. I'm sure they would appreciate you telling them and you may well feel a bit better - takes the pressure off, so to speak.

Are you to complete the application form and take it with you on Monday or send it in before? If it's hand in on Mon, I'd ask the HR person you give it to if you can go back later in the day for a chat about it (hitting them with it at 9am on Monday morning might be a bit much!); if it's before, I'd phone up before hand.

Good luck :)

Letting your immediate boss and the HR manager aware of the situation in as much detail as you want (esp. if you need/may need time off for couselling/doctors appointments) is a good idea. Just be honest on appilcation forms and also explain that you want to get back into payroll as you think it will suit you better then you current career.
    You're right with the need to be honest, but just go for it and see what happens. If you've had a lot of time off and you're still getting interviews you're obviously doing something right. If you're getting the interviews and they don't know you've had time off then they think you are a reasonable candidate.

Explain your reasons for wanting to go back to payroll, you don't like your current working environment, you've had previous experience in payroll and feel well suited to it etc. If you're a good candidate you'll have a good chance.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    You're right with the need to be honest, but just go for it and see what happens. If you've had a lot of time off and you're still getting interviews you're obviously doing something right. If you're getting the interviews and they don't know you've had time off then they think you are a reasonable candidate.

Explain your reasons for wanting to go back to payroll, you don't like your current working environment, you've had previous experience in payroll and feel well suited to it etc. If you're a good candidate you'll have a good chance.

:yes: sound advice.

Hope you're ok Dinted, just thought I'd drop in to give you a link to TheSite's article on mental health at work in case you haven't seen it :)