Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

dating someone you live with?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
just sighned contrcts to live in a house with some mates next year and recently theres been some sparkage between us, im worried it could be awkward if it went wrong, anyone been in a simmilar situtaton?

Comments

• Options
    close to it. heres the trick. you can go out with eachother, but dont spend every waking moment with eachother. youll get real tired, real fast.
  • Options
    Avoid.........................................

I'll elaborate later... Just easier not to, mainly for the other housemates.
  • Options
    Yeah, I really wouldn't...
  • Options
    I wouldn't do it. You need space and what happens if it all goes wrong but you still have to live together for months? Not nice. Especially if they bring other women back and you have to hear them in bed together.
  • Options
    Proceed with caution.. It could work or it could fail. It is difficult to know what the outcome will be.

Could you handle living together if it all fell apart? Do you want to be in that situation?

I started seeing someone I lived in Halls with (literally across the hall) last year, still with him and we share the same house now (with 2 other people) and its fine. We do spend an crazy amount of time together as well.. Trick is not to be too couply round housemates, cause that could just get weird for everyone!
  • Options
    It worked for me! Lived with my other half in a student house for 18 months before we got together, and we are now 4 years down the line...:love: You have to decide what is best for you. Asking people on here is going to give you experiences of both sides of the coin, but only you really know how you feel. If you are just looking for a bit of fun i would probably say dont do it due to the possible fall out. However if you think you could have something really special then i would go for it...you dont want to spend the rest of your life thinking what if? :yes:
  • Options
    don't.
    you'll regret it later if you do, i guarantee it.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    However, if they don't date and keep living together with the OP liking the roommate, won't it still be unpleasant when they start bringing people over etc?
  • Options
    I did temp work last year at a uni and a guy in the office, met his gf when he moved into a hous e with her and his mates and he rmates. They didnt know each other b4 then. They got togther after they moved in, 6 years later he announced that they had got engaged that weekend.

so I guess it can work.
  • Options
    Don't. If it fails you'll be hell to live with. If it doesn't fail you'll be hell to live with.
  • Options
    I have been in your exact situation.

I lived with my boyfriend for a year while at uni (but he wasnt my boyfriend at the time), we found out we had feelings for eachother the day before we were due to move out, missed eachother over the summer and therefore visited eachothers homes, became a couple last august then moved back into the same house in september.

I had alarm bells telling me it was a bad idea, so far the living situation has been 100% fine but theres still time for it to go wrong.

The reason i chose to risk it is because in the year we lived together as friends we clicked so well, i knew he was a good person and is good to live with. And if i hadnt have risked it we wouldnt have been able to be a couple, so for me it was worth it after wanting him for about a year beforehand.

So in my opinion it can be great. But who knows if it will stay great for me, i have no idea, but even if it does all go wrong im glad i risked it.

Therefore it depends on your circumstances. Sometimes you just know. And sometimes its worth the risk. But i wouldnt risk it if its just a spark your experiencing. And if you've never lived with him before now its very risky.
  • Options
    Blah wrote: »
    I have been in your exact situation.

I lived with my boyfriend for a year while at uni (but he wasnt my boyfriend at the time), we found out we had feelings for eachother the day before we were due to move out, missed eachother over the summer and therefore visited eachothers homes, became a couple last august then moved back into the same house in september.

I remember you posting about that, so good result then, eh?
  • Options
    what are you on about, did you even read the thread?!

pfft.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    what are you on about, did you even read the thread?!

pfft.
    Spam.
  • Options
    Spam.

ha i noticed when i quoted it, saw the link then.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I remember you posting about that, so good result then, eh?

yes, thanks. Its going really good :)
  • Options
    i personally would try to avoid!!

first year at uni i really fancied my flatmate - and in the second week of the first term i went out and got reeeally drunk, ended up confessing my feelings for him (that werent reciprocated cuz he had a girlfriend) , i cried... and then after that for the whole rest of the year, things were never the same!!
    i got over him pretty quickly after that situation actually, but i think he still thought i was obsessed with him because he never really talked to me for the whole year!! so i buggered that up :chin:

just not worth the risk basically!
  • Options
    if a girl confessed her feelings to me, I'd be pretty flattered.
  • Options
    Aye - to a point... It's not always a good thing when somebody does that.
  • Options
    well if they are a bit of a pyscho and you knwo that already it isn't.

I had that happene to me b4, i treated her snesitvely and let her down gently tho then a few months later she did attack me with an aresol can...

but I don tthink the guy should always have to make th emove or confess the feelings and if he does - unles he is some brain dead chav dick with all the depth of a shallow puddle, it took him a lot of balls to do it. Believe me. So He should be given respect for that and understanding and hey - he LIKES YOU, out off all the pretty girls you no doubt compare yourself to everyday. He picks you.

And if a girl made a move on me, made the moves, told me her feelings I'd totally respect her for it and it would make me see her ian goo dlight that she could do that and actually took the time and know and like me.
  • Options
    i wouldnt do it, been there myself and it was a disaster.

i moved in with my bf and two of his friends in 2005 and living together meant having no time to myself.

we broke up last easter and he kicked me out of the house straight away. i had to go home and then finish my summer term of university living in halls of residence.

if it goes well can be perfect but it puts a lot of pressure on a relationsip.
  • Options
    I wouldn't do it tbh.

I knew a couple that moved into halls together and a month down the line, they split up. For the rest of the year, they were extremely unhappy. Not good :no:
  • Options
    If you think you (both) could handle the aftermath of a possible messy split then go for it. If not, it's not worth the hassle incase things end badly.