Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

spelling stuff

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
is it grey or gray for the colour or are they inter-changeable?

when you come across words like synchronize or synchronise, is it better to use one specific version?

microsoft word spell check displays both options which doesn't help matters.

Comments

• Options
    grey is UK

gray is USA

z tends to be USA.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    grey is UK

gray is USA

z tends to be USA.

:yes:
  • Options
    random question. when you're writing essays etc do you use the justify function on word (making everything neat and in line at each side) or do you just tend to leave it.

i used to justify, but have stopped doing it because someone told me not to (can't remember who). just wondering what other people tend to do?
  • Options
    I tend to just align it to the left, like normal. Then I think it's correct to leave a space between paragraphs, but not indent them at the start.

But people do word processing a variety of ways, so they're all thought of as correct.
  • Options
    i never indent paragraphs, always told not to do that.

and i don't think all word processing varieties are thought of as correct. i'd be crucified if i used anything other than times new roman size 12 with double spaced lines. i'm pretty sure that's standard for most other unis as well.
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »

and i don't think all word processing varieties are thought of as correct. i'd be crucified if i used anything other than times new roman size 12 with double spaced lines. i'm pretty sure that's standard for most other unis as well.
    Seriously?

I hate Times New Roman :grump:. Hatehatehate it.

When I do things it is always Tahoma, size 10 (with the title as size 14, so it stands out), double line spaced for drafts, single line for final copies. Left-justified, double return at the end of a paragraph.

But that's college...and I guess now I'll have to change my habits :(.
  • Options
    well it depends on the insitution, but as far as i know from having friends at different unis in the city, it's pretty standard practise. at least it's times and not something awful like arial.
  • Options

I don't mean all varieties as in pink text with comic sans font or something would be OK. But your assignment's standards sound a bit strict, but if that's what they ask for, fair enough! Was just saying.
  • Options
    Sometimes I have to use double line spacing (Journalism), other times one and a half (English). I never justify, always align left. And font doesn't matter at my Uni so don't worry just yet Franki! (I use Tahoma too). :thumb:
  • Options
    well it depends on the insitution, but as far as i know from having friends at different unis in the city, it's pretty standard practise. at least it's times and not something awful like arial.
    I don't mind Arial. It is tolerable in small doses. But Times New Roman makes me want to hurt myself >.<. It is almost (ALMOST) as bad as Comic Sans. Not quite, but almost.
  • Options
    And font doesn't matter at my Uni so don't worry just yet Franki! (I use Tahoma too). :thumb:

Good :o.

I think I'd die if I couldn't use Tahoma and had to use Times New sodding Roman for everything. It wouldn't look like my work, if that makes sense. Like some evil forgery of my work ;o.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I don't mean all varieties as in pink text with comic sans font or something would be OK. But your assignment's standards sound a bit strict, but if that's what they ask for, fair enough! Was just saying.

You would be amazed at how many people do submit essays in the daftest fonts that are fairly unreadable. This way, the markers have a standardised version so that they don't have the crud like comic sans in pink, size 4.

I favour verdana when writing anything. That is what my default it :yes:
  • Options
    You would be amazed at how many people do submit essays in the daftest fonts that are fairly unreadable. This way, the markers have a standardised version so that they don't have the crud like comic sans in pink, size 4.

I favour verdana when writing anything. That is what my default it :yes:

Also, if it's standardized it gives the markers an idea of structure and length. For example, if you use Tahoma size 12, it's almost twice as big as Times size 12, so the same amount of text takes up almost twice the space.
  • Options
    As others have said, the correct spellings in the UK are grey and synchronise.

Universities usually insist on the same font, and its usually Times New Roman in 12 point, with double-line spacing. That's universities wanting a standardised font so they can assess length easily.

The house style of the law firm I work for is Arial in 11 point, so everyone has a different chose style and font. You shouldn't be indenting type-written paragraphs, but indents are fine in hand-written work.
  • Options
    Century gothic is aparently the best/most readable font to use, size 12.
    According to my tutor last year (BND IT course) anyway
  • Options
    Kermit: You shouldn't indent typed new paragraphs? WTF? Is it just me, but how are you supposed to tell new paragraph starts?

And as for the justification thing, I always justify left and right. Makes it look neat and tidy, with no overhanging sentences and such like. And 12 point new roman is ace :thumb:
  • Options
    Kermit: You shouldn't indent typed new paragraphs? WTF? Is it just me, but how are you supposed to tell new paragraph starts?

A space.

Like so.

:razz:
  • Options
    Calibri size 10 :)
  • Options
    God... A space? That looks atrocious!!!!

I would say you should indent in an essay if you can. When I mark undergraduate essays, I'm always struck by how shitty it looks if the paragraphs are always separated by a space instead of indented...
  • Options
    God... A space? That looks atrocious!!!!

I would say you should indent in an essay if you can. When I mark undergraduate essays, I'm always struck by how shitty it looks if the paragraphs are always separated by a space instead of indented...

well it's common computer literacy to use spaces to mark out your paragraphs, i can't believe you've never come across that concept.

i suppose because most of my work is written like a scientific report spacing helps separate different ideas etc so i like it. if you were writing a longwinded history essay, perhaps the spacing would disconnect it a bit too much.
  • Options
    space for paragraph

any reasonable font

1 1/2 or 2 line spaced for different subjects

left justify

uk spellings preferred

guess it depends on your uni and subject, we had 'hand books' for each subject with guidlines on that kind of stuff.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Justify text is for newpaper columns and such, not for standard essay text. For that you should use align left.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Seriously?

I hate Times New Roman :grump:. Hatehatehate it.

When I do things it is always Tahoma, size 10 (with the title as size 14, so it stands out), double line spaced for drafts, single line for final copies. Left-justified, double return at the end of a paragraph.

But that's college...and I guess now I'll have to change my habits :(.

How odd, I use exactly the same settings. I did right the way through uni as well, and nobody ever complained. But I usually put a 6 point space rather than a full space between paragraphs, so that it's obvious you've got a new paragraph, but it doesn't look like you're trying to make your essay look longer than it is. The things that always pissed me off though, was the bibliography. Each lecturer has a precise format they want it in, and each lecturers format is slightly different. I reckon as long as you write all the entries the same way, it doesn't really matter which bits are Italic, which are bold and whether the author or title comes first (and don't get me started on referencing websites). Oh and film titles had to be in Italic throughout, which is often useful if the film titles is also one of the names of the charcters.

The only thing I'd change it for would be scriptwriting, where the rules are really strict so they can tell how long the script would be if it was transferred to screen (I've never really understood it, but apparently it works quite accurately most of the time). It has to be Courier New because that's the only font where each letter takes up the same amount of space.
  • Options
    You should use tab for indenting. You can change the size of the indent with the ruler.

Using spaces for formatting layout is the ultimate no go.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    You should use tab for indenting. You can change the size of the indent with the ruler.

Using spaces for formatting layout is the ultimate no go.

Once again, depends who is marking it.

I have to use double line spaces, Times New Roman point 12, with spaces not indents for paragraphs, footnotes in point 10 Times New Roman or I lose marks when I write my essays/dissertation. You just get sort of used to it. Essays aren't penalised as harshly, but I know that if my dissertation doesn't conform to that style then I get an automatic 10% mark reduction.
  • Options
    I meant using the spacebar, sorry lol :p.

I format things with spaces, it makes it easier to read. expand the left margin though so there is plenty of space for it to be holepunched / bound together somehow. At least thats how I did my AVCE ICT reports.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I meant using the spacebar, sorry lol :p.

I format things with spaces, it makes it easier to read. expand the left margin though so there is plenty of space for it to be holepunched / bound together somehow. At least thats how I did my AVCE ICT reports.

That was probably obvious to everyone else, I was up early and had my stupid head on so got it wrong! Doesn't bode well for the chapter of my dissertation I wrote this morning :p
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster

Bang on what we had. :yes: No essays anymore though (just thought I would rub that bit in...I do have exams at the mo to make you feel better)
  • Options
    Online using spaces to show a NP is different, cause tabbing makes you select the next button or whatever, so I'm used to that and it's a different style of writing,

On an academic essay, I would seriously expect NPs to be indented. I suppose it depends on what kind of course you are doing, but I know in the arts and humanities, indenting is the way to go. If you look at all the peer-reviewed journals, indenting is how it's done.

And justifiying both sides isn't just for newpaper articles. Again, all academic journals, dissertations, thesis work, are all justified both side. Left justification just looks... messy.
  • Options
    It differs from university to university, but the standard for creating new paragraphs in word processed work is to create a new line rather than an indent. That is the standard way of doing it, its certainly the way I was taught to do it all the way through a Law and Politics degree at Durham, and it is the way every single solicitor's letter I have ever come across has been typed. It is our house style, and if it was bad typigraphically we wouldn't do it, nor would any other law firm.

The only work that should be justified centrally is printed newspaper/magazine work, and that is because usually they are printed in two or three columns and it helps to define the column. One-column work should be justified to the left.