Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sofie wrote: »
    I'm seriously worried now - went to bed last night (admittedly it was after a few harsh emails) and all I wanted to do was slash my wrists.:(

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time at the moment, I hope things get better for you, I really do. Sorry, am a bit messed up myself right now so I don't have any advice but I hope you start to feel ok soon and this evening is better xx.
  • Options
    Liv/Sofie have you seen your doctor(s) recently?

You shouldn't have to go through this alone, and trust me there are others that feel exactly how you do although i know it doesn't feel this way
  • Options
    No. I've never been to the doctors about my self harm, despite being told that I need help.
  • Options
    Imo its the first step to recovery. It takes so much courage to go, but what have you got to lose?
  • Options
    Me neither. No-one knows apart from my boyfriend so I guess I've got no right to complain as I'm not trying to help myself. I'm just scared, don't want to waste people's time and I can't risk the uni finding out, think I'd be asked to leave the course if they knew seeing as I lied on the form at the beginning of the year.
  • Options
    I'm in a smiliar situation as Liv. I think if my tutors find out about my SH, then it's possible that I'd be kicked off my course and my parents will find out what's going on.

Quite a few people know about me. With the expection of two (who don't know the first thing about self harm) anyone that knows has been trying to help me - even if it's just advising me to go and talk to one of their friends, who has been a great help.
  • Options
    The wont kick you off because you wern't diagnosed with anything when you started.

It doesn't sound like you are wasting anyones time, you honestly have nothing to lose, its really hard but the best thing you can do to get on the road to recovery, the only way is up.
    if you truly want to get better you have to go to the doctor, it will get easier. They won't section you or anything, and in my experience if you dont like a particular doctor, go see another until you are happy.

Seriously, the more people you talk to the more help and advice you will get, and if someone insults you or tells you you're weird then they are not worth knowing, just dont suffer in silence, speak out and get help
  • Options
    Thanks. :( if I was to go to the doctors, what is likely to happen to me? Will they just talk to me and then tell me to make an appointment in x amount of weeks? (which is what happened when my parents thought I had ocd - the doctor never really did anything apart from talk to me to understand what was going on)
  • Options
    Know what you mean, there's no way I want my parents to find out, I get enough grief when I just loose a tiny bit of weight now after my past food issues, I hate to think what it would be like if they knew.
  • Options
    You dont need to tell your parents, i didnt for a long time and i feel so guilty still, like i am a worry to them and i hate talking to my mum about it as it upsets her as there isn't much she can do to help.

The doctor will advise you what to do i.e medication (doesnt work for everyone), time off or maybe refer you for cognitive behavioral therapy or a counselor.

There is lots of help out there, you just need to go and get it, the doctor deals with this probably every day, its pretty common, he/she will not tell you that you are totally mental.

if your uni kicks you off your course for it surely that is discrimination as you have not chose to be this way. Although you feel it will be like this forever it won't be if you ask for the help
  • Options
    Dinted wrote: »
    if your uni kicks you off your course for it surely that is discrimination as you have not chose to be this way. Although you feel it will be like this forever it won't be if you ask for the help

:yes: But surely they could kick you off if they think that you can't cope? or it's shown in your work that you can't cope with the workload?
  • Options
    But if you speak out and start your path to recovery you will find things easier, and im pretty positive if you have spoke to your doctor and they know about your situation and uni kicks you off you will have a leg to stand on.

Tell your tutors, it will probably make life a lot easier with them knowing whats going on
  • Options
    I feel so frustrated.

I have an appointment with my counsellor on Friday. Its the fourth one. Usually they are only six sessions long, however she said she'l try and extend them a bit. However, i feel like everything is so rushed, and that i can't tell her everything i feel due to the time frame.

Its stressin me out so much that i think im cutting more now, than before i started the whole thing. Ive also started burning, which is something ive never done before. I don't know whether to just give up now. It doesnt seem to be making me any better.

:crying:
  • Options
    I wish i did have the guts to speak out but I just can't, I've wanted to be a nurse for so long and I want to stay on the course.
  • Options
    Jordy explain it to her. and if you have to keep going back for a while then so be it.
  • Options
    Liv wrote: »
    I wish i did have the guts to speak out but I just can't, I've wanted to be a nurse for so long and I want to stay on the course.
    Why cant you? the doctor will not judge you, they will help. It seems so impossible but once you have done it you will feel so relieved i promise
  • Options
    Why cant you? the doctor will not judge you, they will help. It seems so impossible but once you have done it you will feel so relieved i promise

I know I will feel relived. I 'm not worried about the doctor judging me, I'm just scared which is just so stupid.
  • Options
    The is nothing to fear but fear itself, just keep telling yourself its for the best, book an appointment and go, its hard but you just need to look at what the outcome will be.

Feel free to pm me, knowing what i am going through i dont want to see others suffer, because you havent chose to feel this way and i know it is so unfair.
  • Options
    The is nothing to fear but fear itself, just keep telling yourself its for the best, book an appointment and go, its hard but you just need to look at what the outcome will be.

Feel free to pm me, knowing what i am going through i dont want to see others suffer, because you havent chose to feel this way and i know it is so unfair.

Thanks, I appreciate it. What happens when you go?
  • Options
    Liv wrote: »
    I know I will feel relived. I 'm not worried about the doctor judging me, I'm just scared which is just so stupid.

*feels the same way*

Something you may find useful is part of the email I was sent when I asked a friend for advice about self harm and doctors:

What happens will depend on the resources in your local area, I'm afraid! But I think that it might well be useful to see a counsellor or
    psychologist (and if you want that to happen try to be insistent to your GP that you want referring for that sort of help). It can really help to talk to someone about self harming, it can help you figure out better why you do it, what might trigger you to do it, what things you might do to keep yourself safe. I am, of course, biased(!) but I do think it's good to talk - I'm sure you have an idea why you self harm, but it can be helpful to explore these things with a professional in a safe and confidential space. Expect to be asked questions about suicide - if you've ever thought about it, if you had thoughts about how you could do it if you had etc - but don't be alarmed by that, it's a professional's job to ask questions like that. You'll probably also be asked lots about how your mood is, if you feel depressed, what your home life is like, if you have close friends, that sort of thing. It might feel a bit overwhelming, but remember people are trying to find out lots about you to help you as best they can.

When you feel like self harming, try to stop yourself and think about why - what was happening right before you felt like that? Think about what the triggers are - are they anything you have any power to prevent or change? Try writing down your feelings - those private thoughts you have. You could try a book called 'think good feel good' - it might be aimed at people a bit younger than you, but the ideas in it hold for people of every age. I know it's on amazon, but it does cost about £20. Perhaps it is in your local library? Or there might be other helpful books there?
  • Options
    been harming so much just lately and stressing cos cant let anyone find out cos they'll have a massive go at me

i hope you do get help cos in the long run itll be good for you to get help-just keep it up and im always here
  • Options
    Thanks hyper person. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Options
    Why cant i stop harming? why do i feel so desperate to cut right now?

I'm so sorry everyone
  • Options
    i went back to see counsellor person at college today-why do i feel so rubbish after?

it sucks so much and im doubting about whether i should go back again next week

sorry just needed to get it out my system-hows everyone?
  • Options
    Hello again

Counselling isn't for everyone hyper/jordy. Try and stick with it a little longer though to see if you have any kind of breakthrough, especially if, like jordy said, you have a lot of stuff that you want to talk about. If you're not finding the counselling sessions long enough, you could always ring the Samaritans. It's free and confidential and the people on the other end are trained to listen and possibly offer advice.

I personally didn't like counselling as I hate talking about my problems. I find that writing down how I feel can help me to deal with it and so that's what I do ... and is probably the reason that I'm still a member of the site. I like the boards but I find myself coming back more and more just to talk about how I feel.

Sofie/Liv ... don't be scared of going to the doctor. They're there to help after all. If you don't want to talk about the problems that you are having, then write them down and just hand them over when you get there. They'll still ask you some questions but at least they'll have most of the details there in front of them. If you find making an appointment too pressurised, pop in to your local drop in centre. That was what I did the other week. I don't think that I really spoke to anyone; I just handed over my bit of paper and cried at them! They did then refer me to my local GP but that was because I needed signing off. They might just talk through your options with you. They were really good with me and talked to me about stuff until I'd stopped crying and shaking. I got the impression that if I'd wanted to stay there all day and just talk about my problems, they would have let me. They made me feel safe and like I wasn't cracking up.

Good luck everyone and I hope things start to get better for you soon. I don't want to nag but in order for things to get better, you have to start taking control. It's bloody hard but you can do it. Hugs to all. xxx
  • Options
    The only reason i'm not cutting is because I NEED to get into uni, and NEED my medical report from my doctor/ counseloor to say i'm getting on well. Slips aren't so natural now it seems.

I hate myself so much.

Edit- fuck it.
  • Options
    hey

its not that i cant talk bout my problems just not with her because she makes me feel so rubbish and worse than i felt before-she makes me see how much im hurting people more, even though i already know im hurting them and find that so difficult to deal with.

i just want to cry and harm and i cant

im sorry just feel like im cracking up
  • Options
    Thanks, I do want help so much but it just seems so hard to do, how stupid is that? Also I want to stop but just don't feel ready. Is this normal, I need to stop but just don't feel like now's the right time for me. I don't know if that makes sense. I told my boyfriend this and he says that means I don't really want to help myself. Maybe he's right, perhaps I don't really deserve the time, there are people much worse off than me. I'm so not making any sense. What is the point in all this? Sorry for all that.
  • Options
    Liv - I'm in exactly the same position as you.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Liv - I'm in exactly the same position as you.

I'm sorry you are, I wouldn't wish this feeling on anyone. I hope it gets better for you soon though xx