Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Promotion and payrises

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi All

I'm hoping for some uber HR bods or law students to help out.
Basically I need to know where I stand with being promoted and having a payrise

Ok so history goes like this

- Employed for 2 years as temp
- after 2 years, made perm and given 2k payrise to come in line with peers
- 1 month later was given higher role but no payrise
- 6 months later, end of year review. Given bonus and payrise backdated from this january

My question is - without sounding like an ungrateful so and so, should I have been backdated this from when I was promoted?

Do you think it would just look awful if I spoke to my HR manager about this. I'm on a pretty good wage now and had a good bonus but business is business at the end of the day :chin:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Speaking as a HR Administrator who's been doing the job for 51 weeks (a year next week!) and who's just had to ask for her own review, I'd say just be grateful for what you got.

My job spans nine salary grades (small increments between them!) - I started on the lowest grade and just got moved up to the 7th, guaranteed to go up to the 8th on 1st July this year (we have auto progression every July for everyone).

Quite often you won't start the job on the highest grade - you only reach the desired standard of work after a while and then get the reward of the rise later.
    You're not going to magically improve over night, so unless there was a significant change in your responsibilties the day you got promoted then you wouldn't necessarily deserve a pay rise immediately, but one slightly later when you'd earnt it.
    Hmmm i think you missed the point completely.

I was promoted and does that not mean a payrise.
    I obviously had improved over a period of time to get a promotion. For instance take the army- a private gets promoted to lance corporal, no there skills didnt improve overnight they had to have those skills already.
    So my case is that a promotion deserves a payrise right?

Anyways i work in the city not a civil job so we dont work on "pay scales". In our business money talks so I think they are saying something by promoting me and not compensating me for that. The payrise I did eventually get is only due to an increase in inflation

Its ok i'm not really an arrogant ar$e like ive just potrayed and i'm not greedy so I wont complain, its just for curiosity reasons i would have liked to know how I could have handled that situation
    You did get a hefty pay rise just before you were promoted, and like you said, money talks so if they'd thought you had merited they would have probably given you it.

If you want to look into it, then you could ask why you got promoted but no payrise to go with it. I would have asked at the time. Maybe the promotion was one that would give you the potential to earn more money rather than instantaeneously get it.

Every company works on payscales of some kind, just some are more obvious about it than others.

If you want to know how you could have handled it then I would suggest that whenever a change of role is discussed, one of the questions an employee should ask is what the changes in reward will be.
    I have a feeling that they didn't increase your pay when you were promoted because they felt they could get away with it. I'd ask them about getting it backdated, shy bairns get nowt.