Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

BBC2 and Channel 4 used to be soooo good!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
BBC2 and Channel 4 used to be sooo good to watch, Friends, Buffy, The Outer Limits, Party of Five, My So Called Life, The Fresh Prince, Fraiser, Sex and the City, Boy Meets World, Red Dwarf, 3rd Rock From The Sun and loads more that I just can't remember right now.

Its all so samey now, like 6pm arrives and channel 4 whacks on the simpsons and hollyoaks, both great shows, but, where's the variety! I couldn't even tell you what BBC2 put on at 6pm. Friday night telly used to be good with plenty of comedy shows, now if i'm unfortunate enough to be stuck in the only good thing is Ugly Betty, but that will be over soon :no:

Whats happened to all the great shows?! I always used to consider BBC2 and Channel 4 to have a good selection of "alternative" shows to watch, more comedy, more paranormal, more controversial but it doesn't seem to be the case any more!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I completely agree with you. The problem now is that they all rely on american imports and reality tv shows but that seems to be the way the mainstream audiences like it nowadays, or else why would they show most of this shit they do ?

As i have said over the years the licence fee has risen and risen yet the overall quality of television has gotten worse and worse. Now sure the Tv license serves more than just what a channel shows, and yes the licence goes to the Bbc but the point is still there that tv toiday is absolutely shite.

I remember when we as a family would sit down in the evening and watch tv together, Casualty saturday nights, Londons Burning Sunday nights. The odd quiz during the week then off to watch neighbours.

It's not the same anymore.

I've practically given up watching tv i only watch CSI these days that's it.
  • Options
    Well all of those supposedly superior programmes of ye olde days were US imports too, so I'm not sure how much effect that has had... I loved Frasier, too, but the series came to a conclusion and I'm not sure how far you can blame the UK TV programmers for that.

There's still lots of good stuff, I guess it depends what you want to see. The channels we pay for through the TV license HAVE to cater for the majority the majority of the time, and I think they do - as much as that means it doesn't exactly cater to my tastes. There are programmes I enjoy on the BBC (and Channel 4, for that matter) and to be honest I'm glad there aren't more I enjoy as I'd never get anything else done and would be a total telly addict. But yeah, it's true that having Sky makes it a lot easier to watch some really good, high quality drama. I'm pretty thankful for that when I want to watch The Wire and Curb Your Enthusiasm and Law and Order on tap ;)

London's Burning was shittier than ANY American import, if any channel should be getting its act together and starting to show something decent then it should be ITV. Enough with these 9pm dramas that all have the same actors and basic plotlines, embarassing.
  • Options
    What I hate about channel 4 is that all day Saturday its Hollyoaks omnibus and then all day Sunday its the same fuckin omnibus again with sign language!!
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    What I hate about channel 4 is that all day Saturday its Hollyoaks omnibus and then all day Sunday its the same fuckin omnibus again with sign language!!

Maybe you need to get out of the house more!! ;):p
  • Options
    BBC2 and Channel 4 have great shows, particlarly in the fields of nature, politics and documentary.
  • Options
    edn1 wrote: »
    Casualty saturday nights, Londons Burning Sunday nights.

It's not the same anymore.

And thank fuck it's not the same. Those are two of the WORST programmes in television history. The only thing that could have made London's Burning worse was being forced to watch it with a heavily tatooed, thickly built, Lou Ferrigno looky-likey who would punch you in the face every 30 seconds while singing random excerpts from the musical 'Cats'.

The quality of TV is constantly improving. I say that with all sincerity. It's just that with so many new channels, programs that may have been grouped together on a friday night are spread around. Last friday night you had a choice of Ugly Betty, My Name is Earl, and Peep Show. All three are vastly superior to the gash that used to make up CH4's friday nights. Nurses anyone?
  • Options
    Don't forget folks that you are paying £134.50 a year for the cuntfest that is BBC.

Now that's what I call a bargain :thumb:
  • Options
    horse.gif
  • Options
    :D

All credit to the BBC, though, Life on Mars, Doctor Who and Lord Terry of Wogan are worth a fiver a month. They're not worth going to prison for, though.
  • Options
    I would pay £134.50 a month if it meant I never had to see or hear that unbearable cunt Terry Wogan on TV or radio again.
  • Options
    I find the channel 4 and e4 is good and perhaps my favourite terrestrial channel, I dont like the bbc and itv much as I am not a fan of uk dramas which seems to be mainly bbc/itv themes.
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    I would pay £134.50 a month if it meant I never had to see or hear that unbearable cunt Terry Wogan on TV or radio again.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Don't forget folks that you are paying £134.50 a year for the cuntfest that is BBC.

And I'm SO glad that I don't own a TV right now. Don't miss much of the stuff on anymore as it is.
  • Options
    bbc2 still has mock the week and buzzcocks which i love, but to be honest i probably watch more stuff on bbc 3 and 4 - its a shame that more programmes don't seem to cross over from bbc 3. They showed a drama series called sincronicity last summer but i missed the last few episodes because we lost our digital and it never got repeated on bbc 2 for shame
  • Options
    Don't watch TV... I watch it a little bit at home as it's a novelty. I despise adverts, they piss me off. People telling me what to buy... Fuck them.
  • Options
    BBC 2 is a a bit pants now, apart from MasterChef. Anyone remember when they used to show Heartbreak High then Dear Dilemma or some sort of problem page show on Tuesday evenings?

4 is okay..although since they lost Lost I don't bother too much, although there was a funny new show on the other day called Balls of Steel.

Haven't watched anything on ITV for ages, it has gone really lame.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »

thought it was on e4 on a saturday

but yeah channel 4 and bbc have got crap the only thing i like now is ugly betty and the friday night project
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »

There's been a few stonking documentrys on BBC4 recently, its a channel which seems to have finally found its feet. And of course they have Charlie Brookers Screenwipe, which is top notch.

That and of course Radio 4 is worth £134.50 a year easily.
  • Options
    I think everyone looks back through rose tinted glasses and says "Channel 2 isn't as good any more. They used to make great programmes like..." then proceed to name about 10 years of programmes that would still struggle to fill a weeks schedule. I reckon at any one time, there's only ever been about 3 or 4 programmes on the whole of TV that I would have to watch every week (and even then, only for 6 to 12 episodes depending on how long a series was).
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    There's been a few stonking documentrys on BBC4 recently, its a channel which seems to have finally found its feet. And of course they have Charlie Brookers Screenwipe, which is top notch.

That and of course Radio 4 is worth £134.50 a year easily.

Some people (ie me and my neighbours) are unable to access digital channels, yet are still forced to finance them through the licence fee.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote: »
    Some people (ie me and my neighbours) are unable to access digital channels, yet are still forced to finance them through the licence fee.

Which is deeply unfortunate, but as I understand it the coverage is very wide now and should be complete soon. Perhaps if the BBC wasnt being forced to pay for the digital switchover (forced on them by the government) then they wouldnt have had to put the licence fee up.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Which is deeply unfortunate, but as I understand it the coverage is very wide now and should be complete soon. Perhaps if the BBC wasnt being forced to pay for the digital switchover (forced on them by the government) then they wouldnt have had to put the licence fee up.

Well I've been in my flat nearly 2 years, it's only 2 miles from a city centre and still no digital coverage, I think it's pants!! Especially now many programmes are only shown on digital and don't get shown on normal TV.