Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The Vista thread...

14567810»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Whats Vista Talk?
    CoolMe wrote: »
    Whats Vista Talk?

It's not 'Vista Talk'. Lol. Type in 'Windows Speech Recognition'. You need a mic though. You can control your computer through it. But it doesn't like me :p i.e. doesn't work terribly terribly well.
    For those worried about DRM:

XP - 'An Error has occured because of digital protection' or something

Vista - played full screen beautifully.

Of course, you can get round it in XP by using Media player classic.
    Ugh, I hate booting back into XP.

My mouse and keyboard dind't work. Oh yea, that's because they're USB, and they're not in the same slot they were installed to. And the fecking webcam doesn't work either. Driver CD fun.
    Ok I installed it and it's still not working. It seems it doesn't like my USB ports. But works fine in Vista.
    2 Words

Vista Rocks
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    2 Words

Vista Rocks
    That heavy a system, is it?
    That heavy a system, is it?

I am typing this with windows voice recognition, it is quite intuitive but you need to do the training first, otherwise it will come up with some weird results. I'm starting to get the hang of it now, but it feels weird talking to a computer. It is also frustrating when it doesn't get the correct word.

:) < I even did that with speech recognition!
    haha, i might give the speaking thing ago later
    *bumps big time*

Well i think i should get thiuuis thread going again.

"Writes vista bloggeh"

Things were going alright until 2 days ago when i got a blue screen! (horrifying) something about a physical dump so it restarted i logged in went on to MSN this is all happening about 1AM in the morning.
    I then was talking to a friend when suddenly everything just Stopped.
    I looked at the lights on my computer and the hard drive one just had stopped flashing.
    So i thought "oh lordy" the following morning i backed up everything and did a format of vista:)
    And until then everything has been fine!

Except the fact that McAfee's "Vista CD Patch" will not work unless you have a 'Real' CD:grump:

So hintz why my other thread was about Antivirus & Firewalls for vista
    (im still looking)

Apart from that its been really good!

Apart from that its been really good!

:yeees:
    I think once you get used to Vista you don't want to go back to XP, it's features just allow you to do stuff much... 'quicker'. Would definately benefit from two screens though, the one is really limiting.

To be honest though, I've never used the Windows Key + Tab thing, I just alt tab without looking at what program I'm changing to. The single most useful thing is the integrated search. I like the sidebar, there's also a downloadable dock a la OS X, it is quite memory hungry, but it's a deception. If you have a lot of system ram, it will try and run programs in the background that it thinks you're going to use, as using 25% of your ram as apposed to 50% doesn't make any performance difference whatsoever. You do notice the difference when you open programs.

I think Microsoft have taken a good look at Apple's philosophy that it should work out the box, and as such everything is easier to do. The only weird thing is my webcam has two drivers installed at once, because windows automatically installed drivers for it, but I discovered that the company that makes it are stupid! I like the sidebar, there's also a downloadable dock a la OS X, it is quite memory hungry, but it's a deception. If you have a lot of system ram, it will try and run programs in the background that it thinks you're going to use, as using 25% of your ram as apposed to 50% doesn't make any performance difference whatsoever. You do notice the difference when you open programs.

Their 32 bit drivers do not support windows vista.

Their 64 bit drivers DO support vista 32 bit.

I'm clueless as to why. But got that sorted now, the only problem I have is generals - zero hour won't run' but I suspect that's because I'm using a nocd crack. It stops at the validation stage. How does it know though. When in XP it was like 'oh yay that's fine lets go ahead :)'. Oh also, AVG slows the system down when it does a virus scan in the background, whereas in XP it didn't. Not sure why that is.
    I think me and you are the only Vista bloggers around .org Ive fixed the McAfee problem!:)

Downloaded it right off their website

Your right thought with about switching back to XP.

Althought i use XP everyday of my life because not ever PC+laptop i touch is vista fied :P

Although i dont think i could switch back to XP and stay that way.
    Too many things i would miss
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I am only posting this to say - Vista STILL sucks.
    i wouldnt mind it but i think its far too expensive
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    I am only posting this to say - Vista STILL sucks.

Deep down we know you love it :thumb:
    luvmeright wrote: »
    i wouldnt mind it but i think its far too expensive

It depends on where you get it.
    I got Home Prem 32Bit for £77:D
    Deep down we know you love it :thumb:

It depends on where you get it.
    I got Home Prem 32Bit for £77:D

I got it for £69 :). Well, + a few pounds for delivery too :p.

And I wouldn't say Vista sucks. It's a very powerful, very fluid and very user-orientated operating system. If you prefer to hack the system to bits, linux is one option, or stay with XP for now. Mac OS X is in my opinion probably the ultimate in end-user experience, its apparently very intuitive, I like the way you can see all the open windows at once, it just 'works'. Windows Vista is definately going in that direction. I have to say, the idea of a proprietry user-friendly system that works well is lovely. Unfortunately, you still need to hack vista a bit, but nowhere near as much as XP.

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=2 apparently this is a source showing how windows market share is going to decline, but I'm :confused:

Got my webcam working. A4tech had mislabelled the drivers. Now I've got two drivers installed for it :confused: but it works anyway :yippe: