Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Polysexual people

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What is polysexual?

I am a member of another community and a lot of the women on there talk about being 'poly' and loving several men. I really don't get it...how is there time, and do people really not get jealous?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think there are several different meanings to polysexual. But I thought loving more than one person and being in more than one relationship was polyamory?
    go_away wrote: »
    I think there are several different meanings to polysexual. But I thought loving more than one person and being in more than one relationship was polyamory?

Oh maybe that's what I meant. They talk about being 'poly', I just guessed the end part of the word.

So would someone who is cheating on their partner be called poly? Or only if their partner knew about it and didn't mind?

:confused:
    So would someone who is cheating on their partner be called poly?

I doubt it. My boyfriend and I aren't exclusive to each other sexually, but we have a strict set of rules to adhere to, and we're always aware of what the score is. I think someone who cheats on their partner is just someone who cheats on their partner!

If these other women are talking about it in terms of love etc, they're probably polyamorous.
    someone cheating on there partner would be known as promiscuous-polygyny is one male many females, and polygarny(sp?) is one femal many males-evolutionary psychology
    Polysexuality is basically Pansexuality (there are subtle differences), which means as well as liking men and women, you are attracted to trans, intersex and so on. It essentially means you love the person, not the anatomy.

If somebody refers to themselves as "Poly", it ususally will mean that they're Polyamorous, which means that they have more than one loving and intimate relationship at once, of course with full knowledge and consent of all parties involved.

The last person I was kinda seeing was poly, which didn't bother me at all (as long as they don't rub what a great shag their other partners are in your face, but the point of polyamoury is not that). I think that it's something I could tolerate, so long as they're not asking for threesomes and are playing fair.
    PussyKatty wrote: »
    Oh maybe that's what I meant. They talk about being 'poly', I just guessed the end part of the word.

So would someone who is cheating on their partner be called poly? Or only if their partner knew about it and didn't mind?

:confused:

It wouldn't be cheating if they knew... And it would have to be a relationship.

Polyamoury and open relationships are different.
    polygyny is when 1 man has many female partners and polyandry is when 1 woman has many male partners!
    Polysexual is a club event in Birmingham. Popular with hard house clubbers who also frequent Sundissential and B2T. I don't know the word in any other way.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Polysexual is a club event in Birmingham. Popular with hard house clubbers who also frequent Sundissential and B2T. I don't know the word in any other way.
    Yes it is, I think there's a Polysexual club night in London too.

Wikipedia
    Lol and how does one go about being poly? :chin:
    They call it "poly" to help try and avoid the word which society would brand them, slut.

I'm not bothered about it personally,it's about time women are able to have sex without being called derogatory names.

Nice get out, but I suspect that the first line is a closer glimpse into the mind of MattLiverpool...
    Lacy wrote: »
    Lol and how does one go about being poly? :chin:

:lol:
    They call it "poly" to help try and avoid the word which society would brand them, slut.

I'm not bothered about it personally,it's about time women are able to have sex without being called derogatory names.

I'm sure they probably call it "poly" because it's less of a mouthful.
    There was a really interesting debate amongst the Metropolitan Community Churches (MCC) about whether to bless polyamorous unions. It strikes me that the point is that no partner is ever "superior" or "inferior" to any other, so it's not abusive. I have to admit that although it wouldn't in a million years work fo me, I can understand that they aren't necessarily bad at all.
    To be honest i consider all persons who have random sex with many people to be sluts. i often wonder if, besides the obvious human nature thing, the fact that there are more women and fewer men in the world that it makes men who are sluts seem more acceptable. anyway, i could never be with anybody who was poly. i'm a bit of a jealous person and that part of me would ruin any relationship with a poly person. that and the fact that i'm rediculously nosy.
    To be honest i consider all persons who have random sex with many people to be sluts.
    Comments like that always make me laugh.
    If consenting adults that enjoy having sex with who they please are sluts, then so be it.
    But slut is a very derogatory word - I always wonder why some people like to put others down when it comes to this.
    To be honest i consider all persons who have random sex with many people to be sluts. i often wonder if, besides the obvious human nature thing, the fact that there are more women and fewer men in the world that it makes men who are sluts seem more acceptable.
    This is bull imo. Being poly is not about having a partner and random sex... Nor does having many partners make you a "slut".

Women's sexuality has always been controlled, or for at least as long as Judeo Christian and Islamic faiths have been around.
    someone cheating on there partner would be known as promiscuous-polygyny is one male many females, and polygarny(sp?) is one femal many males-evolutionary psychology

I'm pretty sure it's polyandry for men. I think I read it somewhere...
    Namaste wrote: »
    Polysexuality is basically Pansexuality (there are subtle differences), which means as well as liking men and women, you are attracted to trans, intersex and so on. It essentially means you love the person, not the anatomy.

I'd heard that being referred to as "cardiosexual", but then i think thats a new word floating around. I have poly friends, they're bisexual, married to a man but have a gf on the side.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    To be honest i consider all persons who have random sex with many people to be sluts.

Polyamorous people don't just have sex with random people though. They have more than one relationship on the go at a time. For example, Woman A will be having a relationship with Man A (who is possibly her husband) and Man B (who is boyfriend). They aren't just out on the pull every weekend using the excuse that her and her partner aren't exclusive.

Remarks like yours can be offensive and are simply uneducated.
    I dont think the main issue is just the fact they're having sex with more then one person but the fact they're having whole relationships. Im not saying I ever could myself but surely someone cant be classed as a 'slut' for loving more then one regular partner. I thought the word slut was an insult to women who sleep around with many different men which isnt the case at all with polyamoury.
    piccolo wrote: »
    There was a really interesting debate amongst the Metropolitan Community Churches (MCC) about whether to bless polyamorous unions. It strikes me that the point is that no partner is ever "superior" or "inferior" to any other, so it's not abusive. I have to admit that although it wouldn't in a million years work fo me, I can understand that they aren't necessarily bad at all.

What was the outcome of this debate?
    i didn't mean to be offensive and my comment wasn't directed at polyamorousness, although i still don't believe in it. i do have a male friend who's a slutskank and he's had like 60 partners (or so he says). he thinks very highly of himself for that even though he treats them so very poorly. despite how cool he thinks he is, he really does fail at life more than alot of people, and many of my friends that know him will attest to that.
    OMG 60 partners! really? 60?
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    i didn't mean to be offensive and my comment wasn't directed at polyamorousness, although i still don't believe in it. i do have a male friend who's a slutskank and he's had like 60 partners (or so he says). he thinks very highly of himself for that even though he treats them so very poorly. despite how cool he thinks he is, he really does fail at life more than alot of people, and many of my friends that know him will attest to that.

But that is not polyamory. Which is what we are discussing in this thread.
    i know, it was just meant as an off topic comment. and yes, 60, really. and in only just over a year i might add. his goal is over 100 by the end of this year.
    Who doesn't love a bit of Roly Poly!! :D

Nothing further to add :( I hate arriving late to threads!
    oh! that's not so bad then, I thought you meant all at one time ;)
    ha, not so bad, eh? i don't think i'd ever want that many partners. i will admit though, he's got a good system. he listens just enough to get the information he needs, then he takes over the situation. he tells the girl what she wants to hear and then he bangs her and she leaves in the morning. he's a good person at heart, but he's a bit fucked in the head.
    There's nothing wrong with having as many conquests as you lie, as long as you all know where you stand.
This discussion has been closed.