Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Resigning to go travelling

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm planning to go travelling about May time, and leaving my job to do it. I have no desire to go back once I return and I've quite frankly, had enough of it for various reasons. However I need to know when the best time is to resign. I have no formal written contact, but those that do for the same company have to give four weeks notice, which is I'm assuming I need to do as well.

However, I need to book my tickets/flight up about two months in advance, so in about three weeks time, and need to make sure I can leave the country on the booked dates. So I do give them the four weeks, or give them six or more (once I've booked flights etc) considering I'm the only person in the department and me leaving is going to cause quite a few problems.

I just dont know what to do.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you have no contract then statutory minimum is one week.

Of course depending on if you want a favourable reference and how key your position is, you may want to offer a month, but it would be up to you, and there would be no legal obligation to do so.

Mind you, with no contract they've no obligation to keep you, either.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You can't really do harm by giving a bit more notice, but you don't really have a moral duty to.