Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Should i call the RSPCA?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
There's a girl on my row whos got 2 young horses (birthday presents from her bf :rolleyes: ) and she keeps them on a bit of a small field opposite. Now, there is no grass there, just mud, the horses are incredibly skinny and we've seen them eating the bark off some of the trees. I dunno what exactly she does to care for them because i'm not in during the day. It doesn't look right though, would it be a good idea to give them a ring?

Comments

• Options
    If you're worried I would anyway. It's not going to do any harm and probably will do a whole lot of good. It sounds from what you said that the horses aren't kept in the best of conditions so for your own piece of mind I would give them a ring.
  • Options
    Hmm, you could do, but best be sure first. A lot of horses are kept in muddy / stoned / grassless fields so they don't get fat :p and are kept on a diet, where they are fed horsemix, chaff and nutrients and other supplements. As for the bark, horses sometimes bite things, I'm not 100% sure why, but they have some kind of grooming instinct as well.

They might look skinny because they're on a diet for competing or something?

fat horse
    horse3.jpg

fit horse
    main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=14061&g2_serialNumber=2

Though I would say, if in doubt it's always better to have the RSPCA come and check it out, rather than they not come and there be serious issues.

eta: my friend who does competing say it wouldn't hurt to have the RSPCA check because it doesn't cost anything
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    The RSPCA are bunch of cunts.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    The breed can make a big difference, if it's an arabian/throroughbred they can be quite tall and skinny looking, cobs are much chunkier though so...

The horses at my stabled would chew their stall or the fence sometimes.

Skive - why?
  • Options
    I think you should give them a call if you are genuinely concerned about the health of the animals.

Normally I wouldn't trust the RSPCA with a bargepole, they're a set of interfering busybodies who only care about themselves, and their politics and practices are dubious at best. This case might be different though.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Hmm, you could do, but best be sure first. A lot of horses are kept in muddy / stoned / grassless fields so they don't get fat :p and are kept on a diet, where they are fed horsemix, chaff and nutrients and other supplements. As for the bark, horses sometimes bite things, I'm not 100% sure why, but they have some kind of grooming instinct as well.

They might look skinny because they're on a diet for competing or something?

fat horse
    horse3.jpg

fit horse
    main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=14061&g2_serialNumber=2

Though I would say, if in doubt it's always better to have the RSPCA come and check it out, rather than they not come and there be serious issues.

i'm not sure what she does with them tbh, i know they're very young and i don't think you can ride them yet (never seen her) and my mum says you can't ride them til a certain age. They certainly don't look like they're competition horses, they're very unkept looking. I don't know what breed they are - my mum might know. She's quite brushed up on her horse knowledge. She says it doesn't look right though and she said the space is too small for them.
  • Options
    I'd say call the RSPCA then, just to be on the safe side. Do you know what breed they are? Can you see the ribs? My girlfriend who keeps horses think it's the best plan, because if nothing else they can just say how to better keep them. Often young horses are fed till they're full :p so they can fill out properly.

:thumb:
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I'd say call the RSPCA then, just to be on the safe side. Do you know what breed they are? Can you see the ribs? My girlfriend who keeps horses think it's the best plan, because if nothing else they can just say how to better keep them. Often young horses are fed till they're full :p so they can fill out properly.

:thumb:

you have a new girlfriend? :p I never get a good look at them as i walk past because there's lots of bush and hedge infront of the field. I can see them now from my window but they're too far to get any detail. My mum has said they're thin though and i remember when she first got them they were very skinny. I'm not sure if you can see the ribs, but they don't look filled out at all. Was just trying to get another look but they've galloped down to the end of the field so i can't see them now.

FAO Kermit and Skive - why?
  • Options
    You asked me several weeks ago!
  • Options
    i did? been to sleep since then love
  • Options
    I've just heard too many stories of the RSPCA sticking their nose in where its not wanted, and prosecuting people for nonsense. The best I heard (legitimately from a criminal solicitor, not "my mate") was the RSPCA prosecuting a couple for going away for the weekend and leaving their cat locked outside. He had a shed with a catflap and enough food to last him a month, but apparently that was "animal cruelty".

I also disgaree with the bullshit they've spouted about hunting, and if they can afford to whazz those millions away on that then they don't need my money. Most of the RSPCA's donations get spunked away on the management's politics, nothing else.
  • Options
    maybe, but i'm sure they also deal with real cases too
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    The best I heard (legitimately from a criminal solicitor, not "my mate") was the RSPCA prosecuting a couple for going away for the weekend and leaving their cat locked outside. He had a shed with a catflap and enough food to last him a month, but apparently that was "animal cruelty"

weird! some people keep their cats indoors always, like house cats.
  • Options
    If they are young horses it could well be that they haven't filled out, young horses often slim as they reach their 2nd or 3rd year. I got my horse as a four year old and he was skinny and not well kept -partly because he was underweight and partly because he lacked muscle. He was a totally different horse after a month out in a grassy patch. Now after three years my gangly boy is a big chunky horse (and a bully), hehe.

Them going for the trees could be natural, many where I keep my horse put old christmas trees in the paddocks and they love gnawing it and picking it up and run around with it. They might also be doing it out of boredom. It doesn't need to be because they are hungry (but could be).

It's kinda hard to tell without seeing the situation they are in or knowing if they do get fed at all. If there is no grass in the field and they do not get fed at all then that is a sign of neglect. If there is some grass they can however be left for themselves for a while. My horse is in a field for up to 6 months a year and I check up on him very infrequently -but that is with me knowing he has access to plenty of food and water.
  • Options
    I've just seen them both knawing at the same tree, and i can see that it's been stripped of bark all down that side. Is it usual for them to do this?
    I've asked my mum and she says it's none of our business. She's probably afraid they'll set their dogs on us or something.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I've just seen them both knawing at the same tree, and i can see that it's been stripped of bark all down that side. Is it usual for them to do this?

Probably. My sister horses used to do this and I've seen it a few times before.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    if in doubt, call them

if you feel an animal is in danger, ring them, its not worth risking an animals life for the sake of a phone call x
  • Options
    Littleali wrote: »
    if you feel an animal is in danger, ring them, its not worth risking an animals life for the sake of a phone call x

It's not just for the sake of a phone call though. You risk upsetting your neighbours and more importantly you could put them through hell for nothing really.

A mate of mine was reported for mistreating his dog by neighbours who he really doesn't get on with. The RSPCA were cunts to him and were severely OTT without any evidence that he'd ever mistreated his dog.

Read on...
    http://www.jewittc.fsnet.co.uk/victims/victims-links.htm
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    oh right so because your mate went through hell for nothing, no one should ring the RSPCA to report suspected animal cruelty?

i've had run in's with the rspca and have found them to be reasonable

its sad that your friend went through that, but if someone thinks an animal is being mistreated, it should be reported IMO

:)
  • Options
    oh right so because your mate went through hell for nothing, no one should ring the RSPCA to report suspected animal cruelty?

No but you should be sure the animals are being mistreated. My mate wasn't alone in what happened to him. Google it, read that link, there are plenty of examples where the RSPCA have been cunts to people over their beloved animals.
    if someone thinks an animal is being mistreated, it should be reported IMO

I'd have to be pretty certain before I contacted them, and I don't think she is. Ponies can seem quite skinny when they're in good health. A lot of ponies where I live often look rough as fuck this time of year, but are in perfect health and stripping bark is not a sign of mistreatment.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    No but you should be sure the animals are being mistreated. My mate wasn't alone in what happened to him. Google it, read that link, there are plenty of examples where the RSPCA have been cunts to people over their beloved animals.

I agree with this. A lot of the time, people don't know nearly enough to make a sound judgement on whether an animal is being mistreated or not. Being the owner in these cases is not fun.
    Skive wrote: »
    I'd have to be pretty certain before I contacted them, and I don't think she is. Ponies can seem quite skinny when they're in good health. A lot of ponies where I live often look rough as fuck this time of year, but are in perfect health and stripping bark is not a sign of mistreatment.

I also agree with this. She doesn't seem sure at all, and it is not a reason in itself if the horses are not on grass or are gnawing at trees. If they get fed regularly and have acess to water and can move about, that suffices. Especially if they are young horses.

This is something that's very hard to say anything about without seeing the animals in question.
  • Options

If you see someone kicking Rover down the street, or throwing Tiddles into the canal, then you should be reporting it.

But reporting an animal that may be a bit skinny in the middle of winter? You'd have to be pretty sure.

the RSPCA always assume that everyone is a cat-killer, and treat everyone accordingly. They have been granted powers way beyond their station and they do not have the controls to ensure that they are used properly. Whilst they have the power to prosecute people they very rarely bother to adhere to PACE, for instance, and rely on people not knowing what's going on. At least with the police you know where you stand.