Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Subway

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote: »
    Because they know what they getting.

You've hit the nail on the head there, to be honest. It certainly isn't because its tasty.

I can understand why people would be drawn to the Starbucks sign or the Subway sign in a city that they don't know. It won't be fantastic but it won't give them the squits for a fortnight. I get that much. But still drinking naught but Starbucks in their home city? I don't get that at all.
    To be honest I think McDonalds do an above average burger (in terms of taste) when you consider how many burger vans there are. I think McDonalds is far from bland, and there arn't many chicken fast food outlets that can match KFC for taste.

I don't think McDonald's is that bad anymore, the quality of the meat is certainly higher. It is pretty bland, though, like all corporate food is. If you make food with a strong flavour then some people will love it and some people will hate it; if you make it with a weak flavour then most people will think it OK. It's the reason why so much alcohol tastes of precisely nothing these days too- bland is safe, and safe is popular.

It's mostly the idolising of bland, and the resultant effect that every town looks the same, all made of ticky-tacky, that really irritates the hell out of me. I think anyone who thinks a Subway butty to be fantastic needs their head looking at, but I couldn't give a toss if Subway was the best damn sandwich in the universe, its still destroying the country.

And yes, I'm well aware that I'm in a minority. Most people like safe and bland corporate branded stuff, otherwise towns wouldn't be full of people drinking Fosters in a wetherspoon's pub. And that's why every town in the universe has exactly the same shops, exactly the same coffee, and exactly the same pub. It's depressing.
    Kermit wrote: »
    kangoo, what on earth are you drivelling on about? Punctuation is your friend, don't be afraid to use it.

My problem with Subway is no more than with any other corporate plastic shite. If you'd bothered to read what I said, I said I'd always choose the non-corporate-shite shop. I always do. I buy a sarny at the local shop, when I haven't made my own, I drink my coffee in the independent cafe. I'll end up with a Big Mac ooh, once every six months, usually at the train station or airport. Or at 3am, when its infinitely preferable to a shitey kebab.

There have been several comments on this thread about how people will have one every day. That's just sad, I really don't get why anyone would prefer that to something that actually tastes of something.

I can't believe people are jumping to defend some plastic Canadian shite. You'll be trying to tell me that Starbucks is the best coffee and Magners is actually tasty next :eek2:

Do you know what I think.
    I think that you are getting way to worked up about something which really is not such a big deal.
    We all like to eat different places.
    OK accept it, no one is MAKING you eat at subway or any other plastic place you don't like.
    So chill!
    I can just imagine you having smoke coming out of your ears like puff the magic dragon!
    kangoo, what on earth are you drivelling on about? Punctuation is your friend, don't be afraid to use it.

My problem with Subway is no more than with any other corporate plastic shite. If you'd bothered to read what I said, I said I'd always choose the non-corporate-shite shop. I always do. I buy a sarny at the local shop, when I haven't made my own, I drink my coffee in the independent cafe. I'll end up with a Big Mac ooh, once every six months, usually at the train station or airport. Or at 3am, when its infinitely preferable to a shitey kebab.

There have been several comments on this thread about how people will have one every day. That's just sad, I really don't get why anyone would prefer that to something that actually tastes of something.

I can't believe people are jumping to defend some plastic Canadian shite. You'll be trying to tell me that Starbucks is the best coffee and Magners is actually tasty next :eek2:

you'd be hard pressed to find a cider nicer than magners in most bars.
    ashlee wrote: »
    I think that you are getting way to worked up about something which really is not such a big deal.

It is such a big deal, though. Corporate shite is destroying where we live, turning everything into the same plastic mess. It's depressing.

I bought a house in Newcastle because I like Newcastle, I don't want Newcastle to turn into Anywhere-on-Tyne.

I don't want to be forced to eat Subway, because that's all that's left.
    I can just imagine you having smoke coming out of your ears like puff the magic dragon!

Not about this.

I just think it depressing how so many people leap to the defence of a corporate monolith instead of actually thinking about the repercussions of their choices.
    Addict wrote: »
    you'd be hard pressed to find a cider nicer than magners in most bars.

I'm quite fond of Old Rosie, but I'm not really a cider'ed. Gives me a rotten head.

You'd be hard pressed to find a cider nicer than Magners in most bars because they only sell Magners or Strongbow though:(
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    briggi wrote: »
    Soon a lot of townspeople will probably in the position of having little choice anyway.

I thought the demand for McDonalds has peaked, havn't they been closing resturants?
    And all the time I see more and more smaller and independant sandwhich shops and bakers opening up - in Bournemouth and Southampton anyway.

I don't think these places are as big a threat as you think. There's a burger van right next door to McDonalds at the services near me. He's survives all right.
    Weekender Offender 
    Kermit - For starters I am not drivelling, there's no need to patronise. And is there any need to pick up on my punctuation when it was clearly A JOKE.

You have completly missed my point. I agree with you that small sandwich shops can be tastier, better value and healthier, although that's not true of them all. I've had many a soggy sandwich from local shops. I also agree with supporting small businesses and given the choice of a sandwich shop and a subway I'd choose the first, for many reasons. Actually I don't really do bought sandwiches anyway so I'd choose a cafe or make my own. But that's my choice, and it doesn't give me the right to belittle anyone else because of it

I disagree with the way you make out like you're better than everyone else, insulting people for their choices. You come accross as very intolerent of anyone else's opinions. Not everything massed produced is bad, and just because YOU don't like the taste of subway, magners or carling it doesn't mean no-one else should. Some of your points are valid, but I find the way you put them accross is provocative and offensive

Finally, you can hardly say people who eat at subway have no tastebuds when you'll eat at macdonalds. I know you've said you don't eat there often but you said that you're sometimes partial to a big mac, and then you'll say you'll only eat them at 3am or when there's nothing else. So which is it? Choice or duress? Because if its the first one then you can't say fuck all about people eating mass produced, low quality shite
    It certainly isn't because its tasty.

You think it's bland, but many people don't -as we've said taste is subjective so it's a non argument really. People like what they like.

You taste isn't superiour because you like different things. It's just different.

Yes it quite often isn't 'ethical' food but I don't think anybody is pretending it is.
    Weekender Offender 
    Right Kermit, I'm taking you on a night out on the town, starting off with subway for two and then round to whetherspoons for a few pints of Carling. Can't blame the corporations, they're just trying to make ends meet. :D
    Namaste wrote: »
    I hate it. The veggie options mainly consist of rubbery cheese and barely any fruit or veg. It's overpriced, the bread is tasteless and it's dull.

Something for if I'm REALLY desperate.

You can ask them or whatever you like though, if you want lots of salad and no cheese then just tell them :yes:
    kangoo wrote: »
    I disagree with the way you make out like you're better than everyone else, insulting people for their choices. You come accross as very intolerent of anyone else's opinions.

I don't think that I am better than other people, everyone is entitled to their own choice and their own taste. But I honestly think that people who love McDonald's, or love Subway, or love Carling, have simply not been exposed to what proper food and proper coffee and proper beer should taste like. I don't understand those that try the good stuff, and then go back to the bland. It isn't even about them liking what I like- I like real ale, not lager- its about people choosing what they eat and drink based on what the adverts tell them.

Magners is a passable cider, but nobody was drinking it until six months ago when they had an advert on the TV every six seconds. Are people drinking it because its the best cider on offer, or are they drinking it because of the marketing? I suspect the latter, and I think that shows a lack of taste. Caring more about the brand than the quality shows a lack of taste. I couldn't care less if people like things I don't like, I just don't understand how people can settle for mediocrity and then rave on about its "great taste", about it being "fresh" and "great value". Subway is mediocrity, so is Starbucks, so is Carling.

I'm not a lager fan but I can see how people can like drinking a quality lager. I am a real ale fan and I can't see how people can like drinking something like John Smith's smoothflow. I can't understand how people will taste the real deal and then settle for corporate bland.
    So Kermit why can't I just say: (its not true) I love McDonalds/Subway, when I eat it I think it tastes better than any homemade meal/sandwich. Is that OK now? I am not having it because of marketing or acting like a sheep. I have made my decision it tastes good and I want to eat it.

So that should be acceptable now...

(waits for some stupid sarcy comment)
    You can say it all you want. I just think it would show an aversion to real flavour.
    to what is real flavour to YOU. Everyone likes and enjoys different tastes, people's tastbuds are different. People have been brought up differently, I was brought up around a homecooked dinner every night while my mate was brought up on fast food, takeouts and indians. We are accustomed to different tastes. I dont like indian because well I just dont like the taste of it. My friend could never eat something like hotpot she would turn for a pizza every time. It's just the way it is.

Your problem Kermit is you cannot accept other peoples points of view and things people say. This makes you a right knob to argue with because it is fighting a loosing battle against someone who will not back down or every show the slightest bit of understanding of other points of views except his own
    ashlee wrote: »
    We are accustomed to different tastes. I dont like indian because well I just dont like the taste of it.

That's not my point. People do like different things, and not everyone does want the same thing. I don't like sushi but I don't care who eats it. I'm not bothered about people wanting a sandwich, I just don't get why people would choose a crap one over a good one.

What I don't understand is deciding that you want a sandwich, and then going for a middling sandwich instead of a good one. What I don't understand is deciding that you want a coffee, and then getting a cup of bland instead of a cup of good. What I don't understand is wanting a beer and getting a pint of bland sugar instead of a beer that tastes of beer.

Why would you have the bronze medal if you could have gold? That's what I don't get. Why settle for mediocre?
    I don't think that I am better than other people, everyone is entitled to their own choice and their own taste. But I honestly think that people who love McDonald's, or love Subway, or love Carling, have simply not been exposed to what proper food and proper coffee and proper beer should taste like. I don't understand those that try the good stuff, and then go back to the bland. It isn't even about them liking what I like- I like real ale, not lager- its about people choosing what they eat and drink based on what the adverts tell them.

I like 'real proper' food, but that doesn't stop me enjoying a McDonalds, KFC or Subway once in a while.
    Magners is a passable cider, but nobody was drinking it until six months ago when they had an advert on the TV every six seconds. Are people drinking it because its the best cider on offer, or are they drinking it because of the marketing? I suspect the latter, and I think that shows a lack of taste.

I've been a cider drinker for years, partial to a bit of real scrumpy, and Thatchers was my drink of choice. I only drank Magners on the odd occasion simply because it was hard to get. but now everywhere seems to have it I've switched because I genuinely prefer it. It is a superb drink.
    I can't understand how people will taste the real deal and then settle for corporate bland.

Because some people genuinely prefer it.

You say people are guilty of liking 'corperate crap' because of the ads on tv, yet you seem to be just as guilty but going the other way, and instantly writing off anything because it's mass produced and popular. That is what comes across as pretentious and food snobbery.

I'm of the opinion that if something tastes good, it tastes good. The fact it's not fresh or healthy and the fact it's mass produced doesn't mean it'll aumtomatically taste bad. You seem to think it does.
    Weekender Offender 
    What I don't understand is deciding that you want a coffee, and then getting a cup of bland instead of a cup of good. What I don't understand is wanting a beer and getting a pint of bland sugar instead of a beer that tastes of beer.

Why would you have the bronze medal if you could have gold? That's what I don't get. Why settle for mediocre?

Again taste it subjective, some people like what you'd consider to be bland. When it comes to taste there's no right or wrong.

It's like arguing about which style of music is better.

You know those people who look down upon those who like to Girls Aloud, just because they listen to something really obscure? You one of those people but with food instead of music.
    Weekender Offender 
    You say people are guilty of liking 'corperate crap' because of the ads on tv, yet you seem to be just as guilty but going the other way, and instantly writing off anything because it's mass produced and popular. That is what comes across as pretentious and food snobbery.

I don't think I do do that, but its hard to say, because the food and beer I like doesn't tend to be mass-produced.
    I'm of the opinion that if something tastes good, it tastes good.

I'm of that opinion as well.

Which is why my response to the original question was that Subway is plastic corporate shite. Because it doesn't taste good, it tastes average. And I don't get how someone can prefer the taste of average to the taste of good.

I don't get how someone can taste a Subway and think its the best sandwich in the whole world. I can understand how a Subway hits the spot, although I don't agree. You mention music- I can see how people enjoy Girls Aloud, but I can't understand how people can say that Girls Aloud is technically superior to, say, Mozart.
    That's not my point. People do like different things, and not everyone does want the same thing. I don't like sushi but I don't care who eats it. I'm not bothered about people wanting a sandwich, I just don't get why people would choose a crap one over a good one.

What I don't understand is deciding that you want a sandwich, and then going for a middling sandwich instead of a good one. What I don't understand is deciding that you want a coffee, and then getting a cup of bland instead of a cup of good. What I don't understand is wanting a beer and getting a pint of bland sugar instead of a beer that tastes of beer.

OK fair enough, I'm with you there, and I do agree that Subway is shit. But why do you have to be so fucking arrogant and rude to the people who do choose to eat there. Why not just eat where you want and let people eat where they want. You are bloody ignorant and rude and lacking serious manners. Whatever happened to being accepting? Fucking move on with life stop worrying about people who eat mcds or subway, people always have people always will so just get over it. DO NOT PUT PEOPLE DOWN AND TALK TO THEM LIKE A PIECE OF SHIT ON YOUR SHOE BECAUSE THEY CHOOSE TO EAT THERE.

there must be nothing I hate more than such ignorant and rude and intolerant people, hence I shall leave this thread! I don't "need" the last work but Kermit obviously does to move on with his life. There we are have the last work and fucking get over it!
    It's pointless argueing over the taste. I like a Sub once in a while but does that mean I have defective taste-buds? I won't profess to Subway being the most amazing place for a sarnie but as far as I can see, throughout this thread. Absolutely no one has. I understand the large corporations ruining local business arguement but I think 'you haven't had decent food then' view is seriously lacking. If you want to do a Gillian McKeith and inspect my poo then I think you'll find that I ate way too many kiwi fruits last night. Although I must say, the shocking flavour nearly knocked my bland tastebuds right off my tongue :rolleyes:
    Which is why my response to the original question was that Subway is plastic corporate shite. Because it doesn't taste good, it tastes average. And I don't get how someone can prefer the taste of average to the taste of good.

You don't get it because you have different tastes. No more than that.
    It's not becasue people who do like it are 'defective' - you start banging on about plastic people with defective taste buds and you insult people. You think your tastes are superior, we all do, else we wouldn't like what we like would we? In the end though they're not, they're just different.
    You mention music- I can see how people enjoy Girls Aloud, but I can't understand how people can say that Girls Aloud is technically superior to, say, Mozart.

Technically superior? Mozart had more of a talent for creating classical music certainly. I'd like to see him sing a pop song though.
    It's just music mate, some people with think girls Aloud is superior to Mozart because they like it more. Don't judge it on how it was made or who made it, judge it on how it makes you feel.
    There's no right or wrong. Again completely subjective
    Weekender Offender 
    You don't get it because you have different tastes. No more than that.
    It's not becasue people who do like it are 'defective' - you start banging on about plastic people with defective taste buds and you insult people.

That's very true. Kermit keeps saying how if you like Starbucks you obviously haven't tasted proper coffee. Well I have. I've lived in France where they have a cafe culture and I've spent time in Italy. I know how their coffee tastes and its pretty strong. I prefer Starbucks -I usually get a mocha frappucino. :yum: I don't know of any independent coffee shops that do that.
    Haha, well Starbucks is a whole other thread/crazed rant. Reprehensible turds.
    I'm not bothered about people wanting a sandwich, I just don't get why people would choose a crap one over a good one.

What I don't understand is deciding that you want a sandwich, and then going for a middling sandwich instead of a good one.

I don't eat at subway BUT I do sometimes buy bland sandwiches. I love good food but sometimes you just want to satisfy your hunger and you're not bothered about whether it's the best quality thing you have ever eaten. Price does come into it as well.
    I'd rather be a plastic person then a rude one like you.

If YOU don't like it fair enough - but don't mouth off other people's choices to such a degree,

Why do you have such a problem simply stating what you like or dislike without slagging others off for their choices?

Nicely said. I agree with Kermit's thoughts about the local businesses losing out due to big corporations- but come on, just because you choose to eat at Subway it does not mean your are a plastic person. Fix it up Kermit
    It's odd though- it's acceptable to "condemn" people who eat at Maccy D's or KFC, but not Subway, as if the processed corporate shite they serve is superior.

I think it's wrong to condemn people for making their own choices. If they like McDonalds why has anybody elses political views on globalisation / homogenisation mean they're a bad / tasteless person? It's snobbery imo - local sandwich shops are nice but they're often expensive too. Where I live in Leicester we have a local bakery, go there to buy your bread it's about £1.25 a loaf. Go to the local co op, it's 99p. The same bread from the same bakery, but sold cheaper at the 'evil big chain'. I don't know if it's sold at Tesco etc. though.

I've had a subway, I didn't like it all that much because it was confusing, I do like local sandwich shops but I am under no illusion that the £1.50 sausage cob is healthy, along with the £1.50 hot chocolate to go with it.

Very tasty though. But I think McDonalds can be nice on the go too. Life's too short really, I don't see what's wrong with consumerism as long as it's not ridiculous. I don't know any other food outlet where I can be in and out in a minute and for 2 quid have a fairly filling chicken burger.

The flavour is all in the sauce in most of these things anyway.
    hate it
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Skiver, the voice of reason as usual. I think a few of you might be getting a teeny bit worked up about this...
    Basically, chains like Subway are scum imo and I wouldn't be seen dead in one (although I dislike Subway less than somewhere like Maccy's... That is the pinnacle of scum), these chains treat their employees like shit, they often have poor animal rights and environmental records too...

If anybody thinks that it's Ok to market shit as "healthy" and exploit people who don't know any better in to eating their crap then fair enough, Subway, KFC, McDonalds and Starbucks are wonderful.

Subway is tasteless plastic crap, it just doesn't taste good. A few thin and soggy leaves of lettuce and two slices of tomato do not make a sandwich healthy, especially not with their fake ass meat.
    Did you have to bring it up again? :p

Oh well, while I'm here. I reckon one of the things people like about Subway/McDonalds/Starbucks, is that you can go to Paris, Tokyo, New York, and know exactly what you're going to get. It might not be the best food you've ever had, but it tastes good, and you know what you like when you look at the menu.
This discussion has been closed.