Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

men who are obsessed with football

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
how do you deal with them?

I've been fortunate enough to never have been out with a guy before who is really into his sport. But my new chap seems a tad obsessed with football, and if there's no football on, it will be something else like formula one or cricket.

Oh he also plays footie. It already seems to be getting in the way of us doing stuff. I don't want to change anybody, he can be into whatever he wants but do guys ever grow out of this sorta stuff?

Even worse is he's a Man United fan :( I wouldn't mind half as much if it was villa!

Comments

• Options
    Grow out of it? Come on, it's football, not action man!

The only time I'd be concerned was if he was spending every waking hour watching or playing football, which is impossible because there's not enough on, unfortunately!

Just don't make him choose between watching the game or spending time with you. Isn't there some way you can combine the two. Go to the pub with him, spend some time together, let him watch his game, then when the whistle goes, he's all yours!
  • Options
    Most men don't grow out of it.

My Dad, at the age of 46 still loves football. He can't miss one match. He sulks if his team lose. He screams when his team score, etc.

Just try and get into it? :p Theres no point trying to get him to spend more time with you if it means missing something he really enjoys.
  • Options
    One reason why gay men seem so attractive.

Erm yes,... well personally, I hate football and wouldn't consider a guy who was remotely into football. So, unfortunately is like it or lump it....
  • Options
    Urgh you poor thing! I have nothing useful to say as I have always avoided this particular type of man, I just wanted you to know that you have got my sympathy!
  • Options
    Ah, the realisation that you'll never be the most important thing in your boyfriend's life. You've got to embrace it, because you're never going to win. :p Though Man Utd? I'd dump him anyway if I were you.
  • Options
    I hate football. I can't understand the obsession, to be honest.

Oh - and I'm straight ;)
  • Options
    I don't mind having a boyfriend that follows football but if he puts it before me and everything else I'd be worried.
  • Options
    Whats the problem? I think you'll find a lot of blokes are like that. He has his time to do things and you have your time to do things I'm sure a bloke is totally not into.

Illora: 'I wouldnt consider a guy who was into football' Giving yourself a limited market are you not? Its also being VERY close minded.
  • Options
    Oh I know lads who play footy on saturday and sunday and also train during the week. It does mean they have far less time unfortunatley. But you know what the deal is with him so you either just put up with it or find someone else because theres no way you can ask him to stop doing it or do it less.
  • Options
    I think it's quite endearing when they're really into their team - as long as they aren't running around town wearing body paint in their team colours and nowt else, or headbutting every rival fan they come across - but it can take over people's lives.

My devious ex toned down his football obsession when I first met him, and it wasn't until about six months in that his true colours came to light and it eventually got to a point where he would watch any football (except women's football - of course) match going. When you have Sky and then start getting into PPV matches then a whole weekend could pass by in the blink of an eye and we wouldn't have had a single conversation. I used to find that pretty damn infuriating (and sad).

I'm more into my footy than my fella now, though, he couldn't care less. Works for me :thumb:
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    Illora: 'I wouldnt consider a guy who was into football' Giving yourself a limited market are you not? Its also being VERY close minded.
    Aaah, my name has one 'L' in it :chin:

I don't care. I hate football, I loathe football. I hate everything about it, and what it stands for. I hate polyester. I hate anything to do with the sport.

I'm not closed minded, if you want to like football, I'm not going to judge you for it, I just wouldn't date you because you like it. If that makes my choices in a partner limited, I'm not at all fussed.
  • Options
    I really couldn't care less about football. It's not what it used to be IMO just a money making scam with overpaid pretty boys. Also I detest the sectarianism that's in this city. Many people have died all because of the team they support. Get a fucking grip.

That said, I can usually be found watching if a good match is on.
  • Options
    Aaah, my name has one 'L' in it :chin:

I don't care. I hate football, I loathe football. I hate everything about it, and what it stands for. I hate polyester. I hate anything to do with the sport.

I'm not closed minded, if you want to like football, I'm not going to judge you for it, I just wouldn't date you because you like it. If that makes my choices in a partner limited, I'm not at all fussed.

But you are judging them. You are holding the fact they like football against them. I fail to see the problem with dating someone who may occasionly go to the pub to watch a game or *shock horror* go to a game!
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    But you are judging them. You are holding the fact they like football against them. I fail to see the problem with dating someone who may occasionly go to the pub to watch a game or *shock horror* go to a game!

I get what she means. I could never date anyone who is religious even if all they do is go to church once a week.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    I get what she means. I could never date anyone who is religious even if all they do is go to church once a week.
    Exactly and that's my thought too, I don't do religion either, but just because I don't find a religious man attractive, doesn't mean I'm judging him for it. It's about personal taste.
  • Options
    I don't even know what football is supposed to stand for so I certainly don't hate it, but I don't date guys into football- just not my type.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »

Everyone's religious, since everyone has a religious view of the world. What you're saying is that you couldn't go out with someone who had a different relgious view than you, which is different. Similarly, a person might not find someone attractive if they didn't share enough interests with them. But I find it slightly puzzling that you could write someone off purely because they have one interest (football) that you don't enjoy, and can just assume that you wouldn't find a single person in the world, who happened to enjoy football, attractive.
  • Options
    Everyone's religious, since everyone has a religious view of the world.

nonsense
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    nonsense

Everyone has an opinion of where we came from. Everyone has an opinion of what happens after we die. Everyone has an opinion of the "right" way to live while we're here. The only thing that seperates us is precisely what we believe in answer to these questions. I assume that what Lipsy meant by saying that she couldn't go out with a religious person, was that she couldn't go out with someone who believes in God as a being that has to be worshipped or who's rules have to be adhered to in some way. That's essentially saying that she can't go out with someone who has different values to you, which is a bit different to saying that you can't find someone attractive, who happens to have one interest that you don't like.
  • Options
    Hold on the fuck. I hate shopping, most fashion but I wouldn't not date a woman who like those things. There's a time and a place for everything and as long as he's not totally obsessed with it then I don't see a problem and I do think it's close minded for someone to totally reject someone just because they liked football, what are you looking for, a clone of yourself?
  • Options
    I wish my man was more into (american)football. At least then I wouldn't have to spend most of the fall/winter Sundays and Mondays and sometimes Thursdays by myself watching tv :p

I don't think whether they like it or not should matter. Its not as if they are playing it and it is their life. As most have said. Get over it. You can find stuff to do while he is watching a game. I'm sure you have hobbies alot of men would detest.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Hold on the fuck. I hate shopping, most fashion but I wouldn't not date a woman who like those things. There's a time and a place for everything and as long as he's not totally obsessed with it then I don't see a problem and I do think it's close minded for someone to totally reject someone just because they liked football, what are you looking for, a clone of yourself?

Pretty much what he said :thumb:
  • Options
    Everyone has an opinion of where we came from.

nonsense
    Everyone has an opinion of what happens after we die.

nonsense

Everyone has an opinion of the "right" way to live while we're here. The only thing that seperates us is precisely what we believe in answer to these questions. I assume that what Lipsy meant by saying that she couldn't go out with a religious person, was that she couldn't go out with someone who believes in God as a being that has to be worshipped or who's rules have to be adhered to in some way.

I believe she meant she wouldn't go out with someone who is religious.
    That's essentially saying that she can't go out with someone who has different values to you,

No, it's more like saying you won't go out with someone with a certain set of beliefs, but not necesarily that they have the same"values".
    which is a bit different to saying that you can't find someone attractive, who happens to have one interest that you don't like.

you lost me...
  • Options
    My ex used to play football about twice a week. Didn't really bother me, I was glad for the free time.

My boyfriend hates football, I'm more of a football fan than he is!

When you say it's getting in the way of you two doing stuff, do you mean he watches/plays it a lot, or is cancelling plans etc?
  • Options
    you lost me...
    The topic of the conversation for fucks sake. What did you think I was talking about?
  • Options
    what are you looking for, a clone of yourself?
    In a non-weird way, yes. I like my partners to enjoy similar things to myself, and someone who holds similar beliefs as myself. If someone loves football and I detest it, then surely we're not compatible? (Yes, admittedly there are millions of other factors that come into it, but I'm purely talking about football)....
  • Options
    No, it's more like saying you won't go out with someone with a certain set of beliefs, but not necesarily that they have the same"values".
    You can believe in God without being religious by most people's definitions. Putting importance on the existance of God, loving God, or basing your life on his teachings (which I assume is what most people mean by "religious") are certainly values that you live your life by, not just beliefs.
  • Options
    In a non-weird way, yes. I like my partners to enjoy similar things to myself, and someone who holds similar beliefs as myself. If someone loves football and I detest it, then surely we're not compatible? (Yes, admittedly there are millions of other factors that come into it, but I'm purely talking about football)....

Bet you end up with a footballer. ;) Opposites attract and all that.
  • Options
    In a non-weird way, yes. I like my partners to enjoy similar things to myself, and someone who holds similar beliefs as myself.

What if your partner wants to wear the same clothes as you? :D
    If someone loves football and I detest it, then surely we're not compatible? (Yes, admittedly there are millions of other factors that come into it, but I'm purely talking about football)....

Bollocks. I bet you have serious problems with relationships because you really are mad if you think a relationship can be incompatible because the other half likes football.
  • Options
    If someone loves football and I detest it, then surely we're not compatible?

I think you can be. There are loads of issues that my boyfriend and I disagree on, but the stuff that neither of us are interested in, we just do our own thing, you kind of just see beyond that. With football, whenever there's a match on and I'm watching, my bf just goes and does his own thing, not really a big deal.
  • Options
    What if your partner wants to wear the same clothes as you? :D

Bollocks. I bet you have serious problems with relationships because you really are mad if you think a relationship can be incompatible because the other half likes football.
    You obviously didn't read inside the brackets :chin: