Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

PANCAKE DAY (and lent)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It's pancake day on Tuesday :yum:

What's the best filling?

For me it's got to be classic lemon and sugar, or melted chocolate.

Cinammon is good too.

Anyone giving up something for Lent? I'm not religious but I'm trying to give up chocolate. It's going to be hard.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    OMG.

Wowwwwwwwww, its pancake day? I'm so making some.

For me it will be lemon and sugar!

:hyper:

And what am I giving up for lent.....errr, I don't know =|
    Lemon and sugar every time. Either that or golden syrup :yum:

I bet I don't get any pancakes this year, my boyfriend normally makes me them but I'm not seeing him on Tuesday... :(
    Lemon and sugar definately, but I usually have a desert one of black cherry pie filling and ice cream as well.
    Lemon and sugar all the way. I'm working the early on Tuesday so will be pancake fest all evening I feel.

As for giving something up, it might be buying things from the vending machine at work....
    lemon and sugar. :yum:
    Maple syrup and icecream.
    Lemon and golden syrup :yum::yum::yum:

I might give up chocolate for Lent this year :chin:
    Is it pancake day today?
    No, it will be on Tuesday.
    Chocolate sauce.
    my brother gave me some instant pancake mix. instant pancake mix- whatever will they think of next? Surely, pancake mix is pretty instant from scratch anyway!
    Lemon, sugar and golden syrup. always :thumb:
    Well why can't we have food holidays *tear* Maybe I should get a food holiday calander and find out the secrets that have been hidden from me.

My accoustomed version of pancakes are nasty though. But your pancake crepe like things are delicious. And all you need is sugar :thumb:
    my_name wrote: »
    Well why can't we have food holidays *tear*

Aww celebrate it with us then, eat pancakes for tea til you feel sick.... thats the be all and end all of it really :D
    Ok :D But first I'll need a recipe and is tea in the afternoon or evening? I can never remember.

Oh and mix Namasta and Lea's idea together and put ice cream and chocolate syurp on it. Oh that could be so good.
    Sugar && lemon. Or golden syrup. :thumb:
    Is golden syrup maple flavored syrup?
    I only noticed today that it was pancake day next week. I just sugar on mine. I've had fudge/chocolate sauce on them before but the sugar levels tend to send me a bit hyper.
    katralla wrote: »
    my brother gave me some instant pancake mix. instant pancake mix- whatever will they think of next? Surely, pancake mix is pretty instant from scratch anyway!

I think that's been around for years?
    but why??
    I have no idea why. You do realise that shops also sell pancakes as well, don't you? (which are gross)
    oh yeah they do- those microwave things. my brother has had those before too, and I totally agree they are beyond gross!
    Ok :D But first I'll need a recipe and is tea in the afternoon or evening? I can never remember.

Oh and mix Namasta and Lea's idea together and put ice cream and chocolate syurp on it. Oh that could be so good.

Tea is the evening meal :) Try a bit of everything on them, especially with it being next week, the recipes should be all over the internet, they're so much fun to cook :D

Try here
    brie and grapes is nice with pancakes
    My mummy will be making her speciality pancakes, to perfection! And chocolate sauce, syrup and sugar for me, rotating of course!

That sounds delicious.
    oh and I will not be giving up anything for lent, never have done never will do
    My housemate bought instant mix. I nearly died. Its hardly rocket science. I like savour ones with cheese and ham and then lemon/sugar, chocolate/banana. I'm not giving anything up for lent.
    Nikki* wrote: »
    Aww celebrate it with us then, eat pancakes for tea til you feel sick.... thats the be all and end all of it really :D
    No it's not. The whole tradition of pancake day is that you were using up what you had before lent, the christian tradition of giving up something for 40days and 40nights as a reflection of Jesus in the desert. The end of Lent is Easter the biggest day in the christian calendar.

Pancake day is actually Shrove Tuesday

Shrove Tuesday is a day of celebration as well as penitence, because it's the last day before Lent.
    The name Shrove comes from the old word "shrive" which means to confess. On Shrove Tuesday, in the Middle Ages, people used to confess their sins so that they were forgiven before the season of Lent began.
    Lent is a time of abstinence, of giving things up. So Shrove Tuesday is the last chance to indulge yourself, and to use up the foods that "aren't allowed" in Lent. Pancakes are eaten on this day because they contain fat, butter and eggs which were forbidden during Lent.

And yes, instant mix is for spastics, how hard is it to mix flour eggs and milk?
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Pancakes are eaten on this day because they contain fat, butter and eggs which were forbidden during Lent.

Yeah but that is in the past. Now pancakes are just eaten because they are damn yummy!:yum:

I have never once wondered why we have pancake day, I don't really care I just eat the pancakes and enjoy it.

I think we should have more food days like urm. Chilli day where you feel like you HAVE to eat chilli. Or Hotpot day where you HAVE to eat hotpot! God I'm a spaz and a half me! :razz:

(boredom)