Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Student Life

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Ok, Im going to be starting uni this sept at coventry I think. My only problem with that is what the student life is like there. Ive always got the impression that coventry is a bit dodgy! lol, i asked ll the student ambassadors on the open days but of course they said it was great!
Also the other thing is, does it really matter if you have an en-suite in you halls of residence? I cant decided?
OOO and the other thing i was going to ask is whats the typical structure for a students day? how many hours of lectures etc

Thankyou
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you can, get en-suite accomodation, it's really nice to have your own personal space and be able to spend as long in the shower as you like! plus your kitchens will be shared so it's not like you'll be missing a social opertunity! Having your own bathroom is just nice :)

Have to ask, what are you studying? as a generally rule of thumb, arts degrees (inc. history and english I think) tend to be less lecture intensive and require lots of reading time for writing papers, where as science / engineering degrees tend to be more lecture intensive.

my friend was doing history, he had 9hrs lectures a week. I was doing physics, and had about 25hrs a week. it's just the way the courses are structured differently.

usual week for me was something like
    9-4 monday,
    6hrs of labs on a tuesday,
    only 3 hrs wednesday (most uni's will give you weds afternoon off for "sports")
    11-6 thursday
    9-3 friday

of course, you'll get one or two hours off for lunch, some days you might have a 9 lecture, then 4 free hours to fill until your last one!

but like I said, it's very dependant on what you study.

of course, there's no saying you wont be too hungover to make those early morning lectures, lots of student nights are mid week, so you'll soon find out about that sort of thing if you're into that.

as for Coventry, i've never been so I dont know. you'll find most places you'll be going you'll go in a group, and it'll be a studenty place and you'll be able to get back ok. just dont go wandering off down dark alleys on your own and practice common sense :) go places in groups and never walk home alone after a night out, get a taxi.

there's loadsa info on theSite about student life, like what to take, and eating right etc :) I'm sure you'll love it :yes:
    What are you planning on studying? That will make a huge difference to your timetable.

Coventry should have a reasonable student life, there are basically 2 unis there afterall.

I haven't had an ensuite in the last 2 years and it has never bothered me. By not having an ensuite, someone else cleans it, which is always handy. I have a big dressing gown and a pair of flip flops, has always done the trick for me.
    Ive been out in Cov a few times, the nightlife is very studenty if you go to the right places on the right nights. Ikon on a wednesday is student card holders only.
    cant say ive ever been to coventry so im no help there, but when it comes to whether u should go for en-suite or not - my opinion is definately a YES!

i had en-suite when i was in my first year, and now that im in my second i have to put up with a communal shared one between 5 of us. en-suite was so much more.. efficient!
    You get a lot more privacy, and its also nice if you need the toilet in the night and dont have to wander around to get to one! (also if youre in a hall with 5 boys like i was - youll definately appreciate it more believe me! :yes: )

lecture wise, in my first year i had aboout.. 20-25 hours of lectures a week :no: although compared to my flatmates and friends that was quite a lot. completely depends on what course youre taking really! one friend of mine did journalism and only had 7 hours a week of lectures - no fair!!
    although saying that, this year i only have 5 hours of lectures and he has 14 :thumb:
    I can't talk about Coventry because I've never been there.

I'm studying computing and had 13 hours of lectures in the first year, 2nd year I had 12 hours and this year I've got 8 hours. I seem to remember that when I did maths I had about 18 hours of lectures a week, and business studies had about 15.

As for the standard structure to a day, that really does vary. From my experience timetables get better organised as you get into later years. I think they realise how disruptive 1 hour gaps are and how much time they waste so try and pack final year timetables together, which has a detremental effect on 1st year timetables. Sometimes you're lucky and get a day or two off during the week. Sometimes you'll have 1 lecture a break, 3 lectures etc. It really does depend on how good at timetabling the guy who does them is.

As for en-suites, I'd definately go for one if you can. My halls in Newcastle were supposedly en-suite, but it was just toilet and washbasin from memory, but even that was nicer than having to share communal ones like in my other 2 1st years. I definately appreciate my fella having en-suite when i go and visit him, just makes me feel more comfortable with the privacy.
    Definately go for an ensuite.

Sharing a shower with 5 other girls in the first year was an absolute nightmare for me.
    its up to you really, im not ensuite and i think its easier, i just go in there with a towel, have a wash, go back to my room. no cleaning, no need to buy loo roll, etc. etc. etc.
    How do you not have to buy loo roll or help with the cleaning?
    Lots of uni owned accomodation that have shared bathrooms etc organise the cleaning and provision on hand soap, driers, loo roll etc.

It would be a nightmare in halls otherwise if there was no central provision of loo roll or organised cleaning.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    its up to you really, im not ensuite and i think its easier, i just go in there with a towel, have a wash, go back to my room. no cleaning, no need to buy loo roll, etc. etc. etc.

My fella gets cleaners for his room as well though, who clean the en-suite for him - he does have to buy loo roll though. I had cleaners in halls as well from memory...it feels like a long time ago.
    why are you going to coventry if you're a bit unsure about it? :confused:
    Lots of uni owned accomodation that have shared bathrooms etc organise the cleaning and provision on hand soap, driers, loo roll etc.

It would be a nightmare in halls otherwise if there was no central provision of loo roll or organised cleaning.

Oh shit yeah. I forgot they had cleaners for halls at York uni.

I remember when I was visiting someone there and the cleaner started shouting at me for the mess. I didn't even make it, I was a visitor :(
    why are you going to coventry if you're a bit unsure about it? :confused:

Probably because you can't be sure about any city/town until you've lived there for a bit.
    Probably because you can't be sure about any city/town until you've lived there for a bit.

It may also be dependent on the degree and its entry requirements.
    I've never seen the point of en-suite rooms in halls. Waste of money if you ask me.

As for lectures, it all depends on your course. Me, for example have 8 hours a week, others it's 9-5. Your student advisor will sort you out when you register.
    Sorry for not saying what course, i forgot! lol. Its either going to be natural hazards (which is like the study of volcanoes etc) or disaster management.
    The reason why I chose coventry is becuase theres only three unis in the country that do that type of course, didn't have much choice!
    I lived in Halls of Residence with shared showers and toilets and it was fine.