Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Recruitment Agency and Bank Details

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, just wondering what people's thoughts are on the topic of giving bank details to recruitment agencies.

I am due to register with an agency today and they have asked me to provide them with my bank details and NI number. Given the fact that I am only looking for permanent positions, I see no reason why I should be sharing my personal details with this company.

I have registered with another agency recently and they did not take either of these details!

I feel really uncomfortable sharing this information with an agency. What are your thoughts? Am I just being a bit too cautious?!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you get a permanent position you are working for the employer, not the agent, so they don't need your bank details for salary payments.

If you don't want to give the details explain that you are looking for permanent positions only and that you will give details as and when required. It will be the company's standard procedure to ask regardless, in case you should want temporary work too, but they should understand if you explain your position.

I do think that you're being a bit too defensive, though.
    Like Kermit said, it will be part of their standard detail request so that they have the information they need to pay people who do temp work and get paid by them.

If you explain you only want permanent work I doubt they'll kick up a fuss, ALTHOUGH depending on the situation some agencies have 'temp' positions that last and then become permanent jobs, so don't automatically rule out 'temp' jobs, they may lead you to a permanent one.
    How are they gonna pay you without your bank details?
    Well I told them that I wasn't happy about sharing my bank details as I was only looking for permanent positions and they said thats fine, they would only need the details if I was planning to temp! So that was good, but, they then told me that before every interview I attend, I have to pop into the branch and see them so that they can check i've done research on the company and that i've prepared for the interview!

I told them that I wasn't prepared to do that, I thought it was counter productive considering it would mean so much travelling for me and that if I had agreed to be put forward for an interview it would be a waste of my time to attend without preparing myself first. They also accepted this! So that was good, but I have never heard of this procedure at an agency before, I can understand it though!
    That's quite impressive, it will help them, but it will also help a lot of the job hunters by preparing them better for interviews.

One of the agencies around here does that.