Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What to do after A levels?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm in my first year of A levels, and we're being pushed to go to uni, almost as if it's what we're supposed to do. Now, i really have no idea what i want to do. I don't want to go to uni until i decide what i want to study or if it's even for me. Would it be a good idea to find jobs in my fields of interests until i decide? Or what if i don't decide at all, i'm worried i'll end up in a crap job that i don't enjoy. Anyone been in the same situation?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You could get some work experince like you said. TBH, apart from college & uni I don't know of that many options. And if there are any, we never got told any of them. It was basically 'everyone has to go to uni if not, we're not interested in you' type thing.

Do you have a careers adviser person at school you can talk to?
    i think the careers people only come in at certain times, like when its work experience ect. Spose i'll have to go to connexions in town, it always seems to be shut when i'm there though.
    i was like you. i still am to some extent! i would recommend applying for uni and working towards going but then you can always change your mind. i did 3 years at college (i fucked up my exams and what i wanted to study etc) with the idea of going to uni but was always hmm not sure. i applied and then changed my mind so didn't apply for accommodation. the day i got my results back i was just about to leave the door and go and get drunk and my mum said i had to think will i regret it in a few years time. and i realised i would. so i went! and i'm glad i did. :) remember you can always leave if you decide you don't like it and you have another year yet (though i'm sure it'll come quicker than you think!).
    tbh i think you are being really sensible considering all your options. people do tend to push the university thing like its something your supposed to do and like sheep you get herded there. personally, although i'm at university at the moment i do think looking back that it would have been better if i hadn't taken the university step and gone straight into work. i mean, people say about university being an experience and you should go just for the experience of it. fair play. but at the end of the day its about making an investment in your education. a lot of people finish university and are still unsure about what they want to do career wise. having a degree does not guarantee the best jobs which is what university used to do. one thing that i did which i do recommend is to take a gap year after your a levels. i think it does help you to develop and focus on where you want to go / be in life as well as the extra dosh which comes in a bit handy when you do start university. do whatever is right for you, but don't be led like a sheep - as i know most of your other classmates will be.
    hope that helps a bit. :)
    Do you have any idea what you want to do long term?

There are apprenticeships and training programs for post 18 school leavers....
    I'm really enjoying psychology at the moment and think it's really interesting. Not sure if i want to spend 3 years doing a degree in it though. And i'm also interested in the animals/conservation kind of stuff too. There is a degree in wildlife conservation at my local uni that sounds good but i don't want to go and spend thousands of pounds just because its something to do. I just don't like how uni is forced down our throats, and getting kids off to uni is a target for schools. I think it's so wrong because it's not like A levels or GCSEs. I'm probably going to work for a few years and maybe either go back as a mature student or maybe do a distance degree. But right now i'm too open minded and uni isn't for me at the moment. They just make it seem that uni is your only option which is why i'm feeling a bit lost, because they haven't mentioned going into work or anything.
    Do you have any idea what you want to do long term?

There are apprenticeships and training programs for post 18 school leavers....

just remember here that she has left school at 16, chosen to continue studying for her A Levels so her next step would be uni or work or further training of some kind? To an extent an apprenticeship would be stepping down a level, unless she decided to go into something particular e.g. hairdressing.
    I wouldn't say an apprenticeship would be stepping down a level at all, if it's in something specific that you want to do.
    If you're interested in animal conservation what about taking a gap year style adventure? you could work for 6 months save up then go and do conservation work, it'll help give you lots of life perspective. check out gapyear.com.
    like others have said, if you're unsure, a gap year might be a good idea, could be fun too :)

but I have to say, after all the good times I personally have had at uni, I'd heartily recommended going if there's a course you find interesting :yes:
    Taking a year out if you're unsure does seem sensible to me.
    I have to say ballerina you sound very grown up, I never even considered the alternatives to university, even before my a levels, hell before my GCSEs uni had been drilled into me.
    to take a gap year i still have to apply at the end of 6th form and deffer it for a year though don't i? I might still not know then.:confused:
    You can re-apply the year after as well though. :) So if you just left 6th form, do what you want, if you want to do a course come september / october time just fill out the form. :thumb:
    oh thats ok then! basically i think i'll go when i decide to, not when i'm told to. Might be good to get into work and see what kind of benefits a degree would get me - if they're as good as they make out. I just want some life experience first before i make such a huge decision - uni isn't something i'm taking lightly. I think i'd rather do my research before diving into one, after all, you keep hearing about graduates ending up in jobs that are totally un-related to their degree because they have no experience.
    I took a gap year and applied during it - which was beneficial since I already had my results and all my offers were unconditional*.

*except one :grump:
    Ballerina wrote: »
    oh thats ok then! basically i think i'll go when i decide to, not when i'm told to. Might be good to get into work and see what kind of benefits a degree would get me - if they're as good as they make out. I just want some life experience first before i make such a huge decision - uni isn't something i'm taking lightly. I think i'd rather do my research before diving into one, after all, you keep hearing about graduates ending up in jobs that are totally un-related to their degree because they have no experience.

i think much of the time people just do a degree in something they're interested in - not what they want a career in. sometimes it's not what your degree's in but more the fact that you have one.