Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Subway

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    minimi38 wrote: »
    its corporation salad. probably contains 999 calories per gram.
    Sure it might be mass produced but seriously, which is going to cost more, an actual bag of lettuce or a bag of man made chemicals withs years of research and testing to make something that looks and tastes like lettuce??
    All those other sandwich shops pack their shitty sandwiches full of salad, tomatoes, mayo etc and I fucking hate that shit.

You'd rather have processed mechanically recovered meat then fresh salad?

At least it proves what I said about defective tastebuds.
    Name me a local sandwich shop where I can get a meatball marinara, with just fucking meatballs and sauce on it, for cheaper than Subway, and I might go there.

There's a sandwich shop 200 yards from my office which does one for about £1.90. With fresh local ingredients. Another 200 yards up the road there's another one.

Speaking of being unable to get good food in small places, I just had a fantastic coronation chicken sandwich and tomato soup in a little cafe in Alnwick. All the ingredients from Northumberland, too. I'll have ten of those before Subway any day of the week.

The only consolation I have is that the Subways in Newcastle are always quite quiet, even on a lunchtime, yet Baps sandwich shop on Pilgrim Street (which is officially the best sandwich shop in the universe) has a queue 50 yards long. Winner all the way.

I just find it tragic how people always reach for the corporate crap ahead of local independent retailers. I can just about see the logic if you're in a strange city- a familiar brand can be tempting- but in your own town there is absolutely no excuse at all.

It's got nothing about "food snobbery", and got everything about not wanting every town in the country to be exactly the bloody same. Fair enough if you want plastic food in a plastic town, but I don't. Sadly I'm in the minority. Hey ho, the plastic fast-food munchers will get the plastic towns they deserve- its just a shame I'll have to live there too.
    Kermit wrote: »
    You'd rather have processed mechanically recovered meat then fresh salad?

At least it proves what I said about defective tastebuds.

There's a sandwich shop 200 yards from my office which does one for about £1.90. With fresh local ingredients. Another 200 yards up the road there's another one.

Speaking of being unable to get good food in small places, I just had a fantastic coronation chicken sandwich and tomato soup in a little cafe in Alnwick. All the ingredients from Northumberland, too. I'll have ten of those before Subway any day of the week.

The only consolation I have is that the Subways in Newcastle are always quite quiet, even on a lunchtime, yet Baps sandwich shop on Pilgrim Street (which is officially the best sandwich shop in the universe) has a queue 50 yards long. Winner all the way.

I don't like Salad. Never have, never will. I'm not alone on that either, so shove your defective tastebuds comment up your arse. There's NOTHING wrong with finding Subway tasty, if you think there is, then you're a fucking pillock of the highest order.

And good for you having a million sandwich shops within 10 feet of you, but unfortunately (or fortunately) we don't all fucking live where you do, smartarse.

I couldn't give a fuck if it's all locally sourced salad and tomatoes, because I hate it. I hate buying a sandwich and having to spend the next half hour scraping all the mayo and rabbit food off it. I don't have that problem at Subway, so I choose to buy my sandwich there. Problem? I don't see one.

When my local sandwich shop offers a sandwich that has stuff on it I like, I'll maybe go there. They don't, so I don't.
    ... aaaaand breathe.

Baps is the best butty shop in the world, I absolutely concur :thumb:
    Bloody hell its just a sandwich! Some people like subway, some don't big deal. Whats with all this defective tastebud bollocks? Get off your high horse and realise that if thats the case there are alot of people out there with 'defective tastebuds' as I dont know many people who dont eat fast food occasionally. I dont think anyones claiming its particularly healthy just that they like the taste and they should be entitled to that opinion without people talking to them like they have something wrong with them or they're the scum of the earth for not choosing their local sandwich shop.
    And good for you having a million sandwich shops within 10 feet of you, but unfortunately (or fortunately) we don't all fucking live where you do, smartarse.

:yes: Like I said, Newcastle is pretty damn good in terms of local sarnie shops where you can choose what goes in them yourself. There's not so much choice elsewhere

Kermit: Enough with this 'plastic food for plastic people' - its not. Its fast food, yes - everyone likes a bit of junk occasionally, its hardly the end of the world. Just because you don't it doesn't make you better than everyone else so stop trying to make it sound like you are. Fair enough if you prefer your local butty shop, I imagine I would too, but tbh you're being completly intolerent of anyone else's opinions and downright insulting - calling people plastic and saying they have no taste buds, its pathetic.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    amy06 wrote: »
    Bloody hell its just a sandwich! Some people like subway, some don't big deal. Whats with all this defective tastebud bollocks? Get off your high horse and realise that if thats the case there are alot of people out there with 'defective tastebuds' as I dont know many people who dont eat fast food occasionally. I dont think anyones claiming its particularly healthy just that they like the taste and they should be entitled to that opinion without people talking to them like they have something wrong with them or they're the scum of the earth for not choosing their local sandwich shop.

:yes:

I like good healthy food, but then sometimes I like unhealthy corperate shit too because it can taste bloody good.
    Weekender Offender 
    Kermit's a total polemicist :p If you actually read between the lines I think most people would struggle to disagree with his views which are really a lot broader than disliking a particular brand of sandwich shops.

Anyway, what's all this about Newcastle having more independent sandwich shops than other cities, I'd be very surprised if that were true. I've lived in other cities that seemed to have a good selection of indy places you could buy your lunch, too. If it is true, then maybe it's because a lot of independent sandwich shops had to close down when the bigwigs invaded trampling all over any similar small businesses. There can only be "so much" (?) choice because it is financially viable... because it has the support and favour of the local people (and those who work in the city).

Food for thought.

Subway is generally less dear in my experience, can taste just as good, and the only thing that's comprised is the heathly side of it. Something I can put up with if I only eat it once in a blue moon.

To say that it's tasteless is stupid. Same with McDonalds.

I do my bit to support my local producers, especially when it comes to meat and veg, but then I also enjoy a bit of crap when it tastes good.

Stop stomping around on your tall nag.
    Weekender Offender 
    I used to eat Subway every once in a blue moon, but found it just left me feeling bloated. I'm also not quite convinced that the meat in the meatballs is actually meat :eek2: :D

My boyfriend makes my lunches now, saves a fortune :thumb:
    briggi wrote: »
    If it is true, then maybe it's because a lot of independent sandwich shops had to close down when the bigwigs invaded trampling all over any similar small businesses. There can only be "so much" (?) choice because it is financially viable... because it has the support and favour of the local people (and those who work in the city).

Food for thought.

If anything I see more sandwhich shops than ever, and that's because people don't make so pack lunches so much any more. I was chatting to the owner of a cafe just recently who said that things have changed over the last few years and people are eating more sandwhiches and less big breakfasts then they used to.
    By all acounts business is booming.
    Weekender Offender 
    And the fires of sandwhich rage burn on like an over toasted sub.
    Skive wrote: »
    If anything I see more sandwhich shops than ever, and that's because people don't make so pack lunches so much any more. I was chatting to the owner of a cafe just recently who said that things have changed over the last few years and people are eating more sandwhiches and less big breakfasts then they used to.
    By all acounts business is booming.

Ok, fair enough, I didn't say otherwise. There certainly isn't a dearth of independent sandwich shops 'round here, so that would go along with what you're saying. I was just responding to the idea that most towns and cities didn't seem to have alternative provisions for a quick and cheap lunch other than a Subway. The implication being that people are forced to go there from lack of choice, rather than an actual elective choice and enjoyment (which is what I think is the case, rightly or wrongly).
    Btw I had a sausage sandwhich from My local bakery today, 1:50 very nice but My apple puff had a thick hair in it :sour:
    There's nowt wrong with a bit of crap once in a while, I'm partial to the odd Big Mac, but I really don't get the people who reckon its the best thing ever. If I was going to spend £2 on a sarnie I'd rather get one that tastes of something other than salt, sugar and trans fats, but that's my choice. I'll have a subway when tanked up, its better than a Big Mac or a kebab, but its still shitey bland food.

I always ask for my sarnies without tomato or butter *shrug*

I don't believe people who reckon there are no small local places where they live- even Carlisle, which is hillbilly redneck central- has a score of em.

I defy anyone to disagree with me about plastic food in plastic cities. The people responsible are the brainless fools who drink whatever's advertisied on the telly, and eat whatever's advertised on the telly. I think everyone liking the same thing is boring, which is a problem when every goddamn city consists of Yates', Subway and Starbucks.
    People like what they like, and shouldn't have to put up with insults about 'plastic people with defective tastebuds eating plastic food'. I know what Kermits saying but he's coming off like a pretentious cock here.

I like good honest food, I cook and eat home meals the majority of the time, I buy local meat and veg. None of that stops me from enjoying an unhealthy meal from Subway or McDonalds.

Food is like music - taste is ultimately subjective.
    Weekender Offender 
    I don't rate subway really. People rave about it but I've never found it to be much more than average food, at a not-particularly-great price. Better to go to the bakers and get a hot pork roll or something for the same price.

mmmm hot pork roll.
    Yeh dudes fuck those corporate whores! :o

I don't mind Subway. I think it tastes nice enough, not the best but certainly not the worst.
    I'm not really a fan of Subway, the only veggie thing is that veggie patty, which makes me pull this face :sour:, and those cheese triangles taste worse than Dairylea (which should be banned!).

It's not very filling either, I find that the bread is mostly air and that it has no substance. That's why people can eat a footlong Sub, because there's nothing to it!
    Skive wrote: »
    I like good honest food, I cook and eat home meals the majority of the time, I buy local meat and veg. None of that stops me from enjoying an unhealthy meal from Subway or McDonalds.

I just genuinely don't understand people who would rather go to Subway or McDonald's than to the local shop next door that perpares its own food each day. I don't understand why people go to Starbucks when there's a better independent coffee shop up the street. I don't understand why people drink Carling when there's a urinal at the back.

I'm partial to a Big Mac, but when there's a shop three doors up that does a nicer burger for less money, I'd go there rather than Maccy D's. I don't get why others would go for the brand.

I don't know if that's being pretentious or not. Taste is indeed subjective, but I don't understand why anyone would rather eat re-heated synthetic bread and mechanically-recovered meat rather than eat fresh bread, fresh salad and fresh meat from the place next door. People obviously do, though, otherwise every city centre in the universe wouldn't look the same.
    I like starbucks.
    No-one said anything about preffering subway to anything else they were just discussing whether they liked it or not. Its the 'do you like subway' thread not 'do you eat subway every living second of the day and never eat anything made from scratch from the little shop round the corner who buys all its organic produce from the local farm next door and just happens to be 5 seconds walk from your workplace' thread

You've just said you're partial to a big mac, now if that isn't processed 'plastic' shit I don't know what is. If you can enjoy your big mac then why can't other people enjoy their subway? How come you have a massive problem with subway but are quite happy to eat in macdonalds? They're both corporate companies selling mass produced food with the intention of setting up as many stores as possible to sell their goods. If you're gonna have principles at least stick to them
    kangoo wrote: »
    Its the 'do you like subway' thread not 'do you eat subway every living second of the day and never eat anything made from scratch from the little shop round the corner who buys all its organic produce from the local farm next door and just happens to be 5 seconds walk from your workplace' thread

That made me giggle :D
    lipsy wrote: »
    That made me giggle :D

Me too :lol:
    Me too :lol:

Me three I was loosing breath reading it in my head!
    ashlee wrote: »
    Me three I was loosing breath reading it in my head!

LOL how do you think I felt writing it! Aaannnnd breathe...
    I just genuinely don't understand people who would rather go to Subway or McDonald's than to the local shop next door that perpares its own food each day. I don't understand why people go to Starbucks when there's a better independent coffee shop up the street. I don't understand why people drink Carling when there's a urinal at the back.

Because they know what they getting. I've had some pretty awsome food from independant sandwhich shop, but on the odd occasion I've had some crap too.
    I'm partial to a Big Mac, but when there's a shop three doors up that does a nicer burger for less money, I'd go there rather than Maccy D's. I don't get why others would go for the brand.

To be honest I think McDonalds do an above average burger (in terms of taste) when you consider how many burger vans there are. I think McDonalds is far from bland, and there arn't many chicken fast food outlets that can match KFC for taste.

And generally there arn't many places that can offer you a burger, fries/chips nd a drink for less than McDonalds. Certainly not anywhere down here.
    Taste is indeed subjective, but I don't understand why anyone would rather eat re-heated synthetic bread and mechanically-recovered meat rather than eat fresh bread, fresh salad and fresh meat from the place next door.

Just because it's all of those things doesn't mean it doesn't taste good. That's the key. I don't think anybody is pretending it's healthy or ethical food.
    Weekender Offender 
    kangoo, what on earth are you drivelling on about? Punctuation is your friend, don't be afraid to use it.

My problem with Subway is no more than with any other corporate plastic shite. If you'd bothered to read what I said, I said I'd always choose the non-corporate-shite shop. I always do. I buy a sarny at the local shop, when I haven't made my own, I drink my coffee in the independent cafe. I'll end up with a Big Mac ooh, once every six months, usually at the train station or airport. Or at 3am, when its infinitely preferable to a shitey kebab.

There have been several comments on this thread about how people will have one every day. That's just sad, I really don't get why anyone would prefer that to something that actually tastes of something.

I can't believe people are jumping to defend some plastic Canadian shite. You'll be trying to tell me that Starbucks is the best coffee and Magners is actually tasty next :eek2:
    kangoo, what on earth are you drivelling on about? Punctuation is your friend, don't be afraid to use it.

My problem with Subway is no more than with any other corporate plastic shite. If you'd bothered to read what I said, I said I'd always choose the non-corporate-shite shop. I always do. I buy a sarny at the local shop, when I haven't made my own, I drink my coffee in the independent cafe. I'll end up with a Big Mac ooh, once every six months, usually at the train station or airport. Or at 3am, when its infinitely preferable to a shitey kebab.

There have been several comments on this thread about how people will have one every day. That's just sad, I really don't get why anyone would prefer that to something that actually tastes of something.

I can't believe people are jumping to defend some plastic Canadian shite. You'll be trying to tell me that Starbucks is the best coffee and Magners is actually tasty next :eek2:

Magners is tasty and kebabs are far superior to any burger.
    Weekender Offender 
    kangoo wrote: »
    Aaannnnd breathe...

No kidding.

It's the nature of these debates to go off on tangents (sometimes very randomly, but that's not the case here in my opinion), this particular tangent was the pretty obvious fact that bigwigs in any area of retail or service kill off the small independents. Cheap food at any time of the day comes at the expense of local variety and choice. We don't need to be able to eat at any time of the day with no hassle and a teeny, tiny price tag - we just think we do.

Anyway, people can and will eat wherever the fuck they like. If they want to eat in Subway or drink their coffee in Starbucks then they can fill their boots. Soon a lot of townspeople will probably in the position of having little choice anyway.
This discussion has been closed.