Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

UCAS Reference

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I've not been to college since i got my qualifications and left in 2003.

Who am I meant to get my reference for the UCAS form off? All I can see (although im really tired and sick to death of the stupid UCAS form so I may well have missed it) is them recommending a tutor to give the reference.

What about mature students who've not been to college for ages, who do they get them off? Can I get one off my manager at work? Thats the only person I can think of, but I work in a supermarket so how can he comment on my potential to be a nurse?! I go to college one day a week to retake something so I guess I could ask him but he only sees me once a week, he doesnt know me very well or anything!

I'm stressed.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't forsee any problems with providing a professional reference on a UCAS form... the reason you are advised to put a tutor or whatever, is because the majority of UCAS candidates are yet to have had a job.

I left it a few years between a levels and uni, and to be honest, i don't think the reference was that important.
    I've not been to college since i got my qualifications and left in 2003.

Who am I meant to get my reference for the UCAS form off? All I can see (although im really tired and sick to death of the stupid UCAS form so I may well have missed it) is them recommending a tutor to give the reference.

What about mature students who've not been to college for ages, who do they get them off? Can I get one off my manager at work? Thats the only person I can think of, but I work in a supermarket so how can he comment on my potential to be a nurse?! I go to college one day a week to retake something so I guess I could ask him but he only sees me once a week, he doesnt know me very well or anything!

I'm stressed.

You could ask either of them, really, but I'd go for the work referee as - like you said - he knows you better. A lot of the mature students when I did my nursing had all sorts of managers and line managers from professions completely unrelated to caring as their referees. It's protocol, to check that you're a good, committed, trustworthy worker; to comment on your team working skills; the fact that you're not a complete nutcase etc.

I didn't know you were applying for nursing - don't let it stress you out and if ya need any tips or advice on applying or the course itself then you know where I am. I don't think you'll have any problems getting a place, at all. It's just all the seemingly endless bloody paperwork that's annoying, it does come to an end... well, for a while anyway ;) :thumb:

I'm stressed.

either or both should be absolutely fine.
    don't stress :p
    briggi wrote: »
    I didn't know you were applying for nursing - don't let it stress you out and if ya need any tips or advice on applying or the course itself then you know where I am. I don't think you'll have any problems getting a place, at all. It's just all the seemingly endless bloody paperwork that's annoying, it does come to an end... well, for a while anyway ;) :thumb:

Aw thank you very much briggi (and everyone else). I've been thinking of applying for ages. Its the only career I can ever sort of see myself in and im leaving it late as it is! Did you do childrens or adult nursing? I'm planning on childrens but I've applied for both.

Do you have any tips on what I should write on the...the about me bit? the personal statement thingy? I'm guessing I should write why I want to do the course, any experiences I may have had...? I just wanna get this thing finished before its too late. I can't work in asda for a minute longer!!
    The only reason I would consider getting the person from college to do your reference on the UCAS form is because they will know what to write and what the admissions people want to know about, rather than your work manager who will just be guessing and writing a bog standard reference I suspect.
    As most people said the reference is more for finding out about reliabilty, team working and good character rather than anything specifically related to nursing. Im in my 2nd year of adult nursing now and my references wern't from a nursing background. If you want to know anything about the course etc feel free to ask.
    Do you have any tips on what I should write on the...the about me bit? the personal statement thingy? I'm guessing I should write why I want to do the course, any experiences I may have had...? I just wanna get this thing finished before its too late. I can't work in asda for a minute longer!!

another suggestion is to make sure you know 'the role of a nurse'. Its something they asked me in my interview the first time round and after a few lame suggestions 'giving meds', 'doing dressings' it completely threw me. I think they were looking for duties of a more holistic nature. I think they also like to see you have a realistic view of what nursing is actually like so in your personal statement could you include any experience of nursing? doesnt have to just be on a proffesional level either. I should imagine any personal experiences of either yourself or family memebers in hospital would have given you some insight into what your letting yourself in for.
    Eul Grepus wrote: »
    I don't forsee any problems with providing a professional reference on a UCAS form... the reason you are advised to put a tutor or whatever, is because the majority of UCAS candidates are yet to have had a job.

I left it a few years between a levels and uni, and to be honest, i don't think the reference was that important.

It was pretty decisive for me..