Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Harley Street landlords ban abortion clinics

Clinics offering abortions and cosmetic surgery have been banned from opening in the UK's most famous medical district.
The move has been made by Howard de Walden Estate, which owns many of the properties in London's Harley Street.

The Howard de Walden Estate said no new licences would be granted for either cosmetic surgery or abortions and those currently practising such procedures would not have their licences renewed.

Simon Baynham, managing director of the Howard de Walden Estate, told the Estates Gazette magazine: "There are still doctors doing certain procedures that we'd rather were not here.

"So we are steering a course that will restrict them. These doctors have old leases and the policy is new. It'll take time to work such tenants out."

[...]Julia Millington, of the Prolife Alliance, which is against abortions, said: "We congratulate Howard de Walden on their stand.

"If a woman is in need of emergency intervention in a life and death situation she would go to an NHS hospitals so it is not about putting women at risk."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6356521.stm

So much for fucking tolerance eh?

Such people are not fit to be landlords. Simple as.

Scum :mad:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Little biased aren't you
    Officials said they were trying to move away from "lifestyle procedures" to become a centre of medical excellence.
    Other banned procedures include euthanasia and cloning, although neither can be practised legally in the UK.
    He said: "The tabloid press loves to knock Harley Street. Most of the criticism is levelled at the cosmetic side of it.

"But if you look at Harley Street, the vast majority of what goes on is serious medicine.

"Maybe we are oversensitive about image but, as a landlord, image is important to us."

It's not just abortions they're banning.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6356521.stm

So much for fucking tolerance eh?

Such people are not fit to be landlords. Simple as.

Scum :mad:

I know, banning boob jobs is the thin end of the wedge.

Reading the story despite the normal rentagob comments from pro and anti-choice side it doesn't seem that the moral side of arbortion is the issue, rather that they're moving to being a centre of medical excellence rather than about lifestyle medicine.
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    It's not just abortions they're banning.
    So? Banning doctors who carry out abortions is a very wrong move regardless of what else they have banned.

Do you really believe for one second that they're kicking them out for any other reason than personal beliefs? Please...
    So? Banning doctors who carry out abortions is a very wrong move regardless of what else they have banned.

Do you really believe for one second that they're kicking them out for any other reason than personal beliefs? Please...

Do you really belief that big companies allow personal beliefs to get in the way of profit?

And why does that ban cosmetic surgery as well. As far as I'm aware people don't tend to picket cosmetic surgeons so it would seem to be that most people don't view it as a major moral issue.
    The Roman Catholic owners of Harley Street have banned abortion clinics from opening on their premises.

They have added 'lifestyle abortions' to a list of procedures that their tenants are forbidden to carry out.

The Howard de Walden Estate, which owns the freehold to a swathe of the Marylebone district in London, denies the decision has been taken for moral reasons.

It says the list, which also includes human cloning and euthanasia, is designed to give Harley Street a makeover after years in which it had become associated with 'lifestyle or cosmetic medicine'.

However the estate's owner 71-year-old Mary Hazel Czernin, 10th Baroness Howard de Walden, is a Catholic. She took the reins of the estate in 2004 after a title wrangle following the death of her Church of England father.
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23385295-details/Woman+who+has+banned+abortions+on+Harley+Street/article.do

Well?
    Do you really belief that big companies allow personal beliefs to get in the way of profit?
    Yes. Specially when there is little profit to lose.
    And why does that ban cosmetic surgery as well. As far as I'm aware people don't tend to picket cosmetic surgeons so it would seem to be that most people don't view it as a major moral issue.
    The fact that they see abortion as a "lifestyle" procedure tells you all you need to know.
    The list of activities proscribed by the estate also includes euthanasia and human cloning - in case they are legalised in the future.

But no, it has nothing to do with personal beliefs... :rolleyes:
    Harley Street is synonymous with private health care in the UK and has become increasingly known for its cosmetic surgery clinics.

no, it's got nothing to do with personal beliefs.

Well what? They also want to stop cosmetic surgery.

P'haps they feel that being seen as a way for rich students to get rid of unwanted pregnancies and multi-millionaire actress expand their bustline isn't tthe image that they want to put forward if they're looking to be a centre for medical excellence.

If you want to run a private abortion clinic they're plenty opf other landlords who'll want your business.
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    "Harley Street is synonymous with private health care in the UK and has become increasingly known for its cosmetic surgery clinics."

no, it's got nothing to do with personal beliefs.
    Yes, and we should take the official PR statement (sorry, press release) as full and final truth, should we?
    I think anybody who claims that abortion is a "lifestyle procedure" sounds to me like they're biased and that personal ethics are in the way. I don't think many people consider abortion as something as flippant as part of their lifestyle. If a woman is raped, then having an abortion may be a necessity to her, if the woman's life is at risk because of the baby, that is NOT a lifestyle choice.

It's understandable to ban cosmetic surgery, that is a lifestyle choice. It is not a lifestyle choice that women have autonomy over their own bodies, it is a human right.
    Erm... it is their land is it? Why can't they say what is done on it, like this?
    Well what? They also want to stop cosmetic surgery.

P'haps they feel that being seen as a way for rich students to get rid of unwanted pregnancies and multi-millionaire actress expand their bustline isn't tthe image that they want to put forward if they're looking to be a centre for medical excellence.

If you want to run a private abortion clinic they're plenty opf other landlords who'll want your business.
    That's not the point is it?

I suspect that you and Fiend know as fully as I do that this move has everything to do with personal beliefs and bugger all with banning 'lifestyle' medicine. But perhaps you can't bring yourselves to say that landlords should not ban potential tenants because of personally-held beliefs.

If only you were to take everybody's claims for granted just as easily as on this occasion...

The press release is one monumental pile of contradicting garbage, which I will be more than happy to dissect later when I get home.
    Namaste wrote: »
    I think anybody who claims that abortion is a "lifestyle procedure" sounds to me like they're biased and that personal ethics are in the way. I don't think many people consider abortion as something as flippant as part of their lifestyle. If a woman is raped, then having an abortion may be a necessity to her, if the woman's life is at risk because of the baby, that is NOT a lifestyle choice.
    Exactly.

It doesn't apply to rape cases only. Abortion is a very complex and serious issue, and to deem it as 'lifestyle' is nothing but patronising bullshit.
    Even the arguement that cosmetic surgery is frivilous is shortsighted as it's the money people pour into cosmetic surgery that furthers plastic surgery as a whole, which is a neccessity to quality of life perhaps as much as abortions.
    Erm... it is their land is it? Why can't they say what is done on it, like this?

Indeed.
    I was talking about the condescending use of words, which I find worrying. Do people really see abortion as a lifestyle issue?

Maybe they shouldn't help people with smoking related illness either... Now that IS about lifestyle.

Or they could refuse treatment to gay people, using the arguement of "it is their land". There'd be a huge uproar then.
    Exactly.

It doesn't apply to rape cases only. Abortion is a very complex and serious issue, and to deem it as 'lifestyle' is nothing but patronising bullshit.

Of course. Abortion is never easy to cope with, it's not like buying a new pair of Converse or going out on the piss. People don't wake up next to their lovers and say "hey Geoff, you know what? I really feel like having an abortion today." It usually, if not always will be women who feel vulnerable, guilty or terrified.
    It is their land, they can determine what goes on. It's no different to most conveyances having restrictions on them saying you can't hang your washing out of the window, or you can't do anything "immoral" in your house.

I don't believe the PR though- they're not banning cosmetic surgery, it should be noted, they're just banning abortions. So you can still have your tits blown up and your arse shrunk down, but if you should dare to get pregnant, its tough cheese.

Personally i couldn't give a rat's ass if 100% of all abortions were undertaken because of "lifestyle" issues, its the woman's choice to decide what happens to her body. She doesn't want a baby, she doesn't have a baby. There's nothing at all wrong with that. I don't see why a woman should feel guilty about it, I don't see why she's a "murderer" (and yes, I do accept that foetuses can feel things, but I don't accept that they are alive until they are born).
    Strictly speaking they are banning cosmetic surgery
    Clinics offering abortions and cosmetic surgery have been banned from opening in the UK's most famous medical district

from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6356521.stm
    I still the scariest thing about this, and the apparent belief of those supporting it, is that abortion is not serious medicine, not deserving of a place with the other leading medical practioners, and is just lifestyle medicine. It reeks of an attitude towards medical proceedures for women that affects the majority of the wealthiest in the medical profession.
    Kermit wrote: »
    So you can still have your tits blown up and your arse shrunk down, but if you should dare to get pregnant, its tough cheese.

There are presently no abortion clinics on Harley Street. This will now remain the case it seems. There are lots of abortion clinics on other streets in London. Big deal.
    Jim V wrote: »
    I still the scariest thing about this, and the apparent belief of those supporting it, is that abortion is not serious medicine, not deserving of a place with the other leading medical practioners, and is just lifestyle medicine.

Well the law around abortion and contraception is very poor as it stands. When a pharmacist can refuse to dispense the MAP there is something very very wrong.
    I still the scariest thing about this, and the apparent belief of those supporting it, is that abortion is not serious medicine, not deserving of a place with the other leading medical practioners, and is just lifestyle medicine. It reeks of an attitude towards medical proceedures for women that affects the majority of the wealthiest in the medical profession.

:confused: Whilst I support somebody's right to an abortion lets be clear, the majority of abortions aren't carried out for serious medical reasons...
    :confused: Whilst I support somebody's right to an abortion lets be clear, the majority of abortions aren't carried out for serious medical reasons...
    What about financial and mental health reasons? Or the fact that a woman's body is her own?

So a woman should only have the right to her body if it's purely for very extreme cases? What about her career?
    Based on what evidence?

What is a "serious" medical reason? What's your proof of motive (especially as the law is clear on abortion reasons). And why does it matter anyway?

Either you support the right of a woman to choose her own reproductive destiny, or you don't. There isn't a middle ground.

I couldn't give a rat's ass if a woman decides that she doesn't want her baby because she can't afford it, or because her career would suffer. They're valid reasons for her so they're valid reasons for me. Why do you care?
    Based on what evidence?

You have Tank Girl :heart:
    thought you'd like that :) Sadly all my actual originals just got soaked and ruined in a plumbing accident :(
    "If a woman is in need of emergency intervention in a life and death situation she would go to an NHS hospitals so it is not about putting women at risk."

That quote from the original piece is the most stupid thing I've ever read. That's like saying you shouldn't have breast cancer operations done in private hospitals as if it were really needed she could just go on the NHS.

If anything going private could be considered more humane as it would get done quicker so the foetus would be less developed than if a NHS waiting list was involved.