Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Time to stop buying my girlfriend expensive presents...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why does it matter about the cost of the present? She got you a present so appreciate that.
    squeal wrote: »
    Why does it matter about the cost of the present?

:yes:

To say that your day was mediocre simply because you got $60 spent on you instead of the $200 you got when you graduated is a bit draft to be honest.
    Why do you feel the need to spend so much just for it to be a good day? I spent £13 and my boyfriend spent about £8. We had a lovely evening

You have totally missed the point of valentines day
    you sound like a spoiled brat

so what if you spend more on her, or she spends more on u?

i cant believe u actually sat there and estimate how much the things she bought you cost

with that attitude, i wouldnt buy u naff all

harsh, maybe, but so is putting a price on a special day
    $60 is a lot!

$110 is way excessive.

You do sound rather spoilt.
    Its the thought behind the gift, not how much it cost you, unless of course you think you can put a price on love.

Why dont you tell her you think shes cheap and should have spent more on you. See what her reaction is.
    Surely the thought is more important than the price? TBH, I'd rather have something cheap that I liked and could make use of, rather tahn something expensive that I didn't like and would just be sat in the box never being used.
    How shallow are you?
    You do sound rather spoilt.
    Its the thought behind the gift, not how much it cost you, unless of course you think you can put a price on love.

I completely agree.

I made my boyfriend's gift and card this year and I am pretty sure he liked it.
    you seem really bothered by the value of the gifts you recieved when it's the sentiment of the other persons action that matters.

I didn't get a pressie from my boyfriend this year but he did make the effort to drive over 80miles to see me at uni and that was far more important to me!

You should just enjoy being together and stop worrying about the materialistic side of pressies - sometimes the smaller things are more important.
    Serves you right for spending so much on her
    This post is pathetic!

Surely it is the thought that counts here and not the cost. Seems like you quantify love with cash value, that leaves you with a problem.
    silverhalo wrote: »
    This post is pathetic!

Surely it is the thought that counts here and not the cost. Seems like you quantify love with cash value, that leaves you with a problem.

I love that word:

Quantify.

:)
    I spent £15 on my fiance. I bought him a ticket to see a band called Within temptation, he was made up. I'd be really upset if he took the same response as you and called it mediocre.
    unless you have excessive amounts of spare cash, there's no point spending that much money on her.

if you think the best thing about being with your gf on birthdays and valentines days etc is the presents, I think you're really missing the point.
    dont get me wrong, i dont think there's anything wrong with giving presents or being excited about getting them

what i do think is wrong is that fact that you're so ungrateful....

its not like she got you a bath bomb, a t-shirt and a wallet is quite sufficient as well as practical
    so shallow
    What a mong.

If I was your girlfriend, I'd be waving you goodbye by now.

How ungrateful of you.
    It's not that I feel like she didn't spend enough money on me, don't get me wrong...I feel like she put no effort into choosing a gift for me. I kind of felt like she went to the mall and was like, "oh yeah, this should be good enough." Plus she was pissed at me cuz the flowers I got her had no roses :( I figured she would rather have a large bouquet of mixed flowers than three roses for the same price. She also was mad because I wore my snow boots (there was about 6 inches of snow on the ground outside) to her house and my socks were ugly (?) To be honest, I didn't even get an "I love you" from her yesterday...

I understand why everybody was pissed at me, I didn't really explain the whole story here.
    ibanezdude wrote: »
    I understand why everybody was pissed at me, I didn't really explain the whole story here.

Wow. You take the harsh comments well for someone who's not a frequent visitor to the place! :)

As for your girlfriends reaction, maybe she was just having a bad day? As much as it was Valentines Day, people are less likely to force themselves into being happy if everythings gone haywire, because it's not as big a holiday celebration-wise as others.
    My boyfriend got me a card, and took me to the cinema. I got him a card and a pair of furry handcuffs for a laugh. We'd agreed we weren't spending much - might be worth setting a limit in future. Perhaps you should go shopping together a bit, pay attention to what grabs her, and encourage her to do the same for you. Useful for xmas too.

TBH, I preferred after the cinema anyway, it was relaxing, we watched a girly film, I realised the handcuffs were a bad choice of present (I hate being tickled - in a good/funny way - and I couldn't stop him!), and we ate ice cream. :heart:

Much better than a bunch of flowers. :p
    ibanezdude wrote: »
    It's not that I feel like she didn't spend enough money on me, don't get me wrong...I feel like she put no effort into choosing a gift for me. I kind of felt like she went to the mall and was like, "oh yeah, this should be good enough." Plus she was pissed at me cuz the flowers I got her had no roses :( I figured she would rather have a large bouquet of mixed flowers than three roses for the same price. She also was mad because I wore my snow boots (there was about 6 inches of snow on the ground outside) to her house and my socks were ugly (?) To be honest, I didn't even get an "I love you" from her yesterday...

It's a shame that you didn't explain yourself better. You would not have received so much unfriendly abuse. Remember 'writing' stuff isn't the same as 'talking' about stuff so we tend to take what you say at 'face value'.

I'm glad that you are not a selfish, meanspirited, ungrateful, etc etc after all. ;)

Maybe she has something on her mind? Talk to her. Ask her. Tell her how you feel. Communication is the best basis of a relationship.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Just dropping in to put a link to your other thread ibanezdude so people who might missed it can see it: http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php?t=112210