Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

FAO Sushi fans!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Yo! Sushi are currently having a 1/2 price sale with this voucher:

http://www.yosushi.com/sale.php

go check it out, i love sushi! just thought i would share.

doubt i'll get to go anytime soon tho :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I went to Yo! Sushi at the Millenium Dome years ago and it was gorgeous!
    I didn't know they had other restaurants! :yum:
    Stupid or maybe not so stupid question. Is there vegetarian sushi ? Like maybe just rice wrapped in seaweed ?
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Stupid or maybe not so stupid question. Is there vegetarian sushi ? Like maybe just rice wrapped in seaweed ?
    Yus, there is :yes:

Yeah there's loads of vegetarian sushi like that
    Thanks for that.
    I've always wanted to eat at the one in Selfridges. May have to go alone though as don't think I know anyone who likes sushi.
    I have always wanted to try sushi but i wouldn't know what to have. Can anyone recommend something nice for a novice like me to try?

The voucher limit has reached its limit now by the way for anyone interested in using it to get half price sushi, i've just been on the website.
    If you have never tried it, you can go to marks and spencer and buy a small pack for £1 to see what you think. It's obviously not the same as restaurant, fresh sushi but it wil give you an idea.
    Aw sushi. I need some.

DAMN IT BEING SO FAR. :crying:
    You all make me sick. :(
    i just had sushi for the first time a few weeks ago haha. it was freaking amazing!

i want more :hyper:
    California rolls are the best!
    :( no delivery to birmingham *sob*
    I have and it's vile! doesn't help that I don't like rice or seaweed though I guess.

Indeed!

One of the Japanese restaurants here in Newcastle does fantastic bean curd sushi and then there is various bean and vegetable varieties. Divine :yum:
    people have this wrong opinion that sushi is all about raw fish, but its not there's so much choice and niceness out there. i urge everyone to give it a go at least once.

even those £1 packs from the supermarket are quite tasty, not amazing. but a good starting point. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

personally tho, i like the fish ones, i'd try a fish with the face still on it etc if someone said it was tasty.
    Love raw fish, hate sushi...
    I nibbled a bit once and it was nice but I have such a dodgey tummy and lots of health problems with it that I fear it might make me ill. If I have something slightly under cooked, I can be ill for up to 2 weeks!
    Not sure if undercooking and raw can be classed the same but I don't want to risk the pain!
    Question for sushi fans:

You know when you buy the packs, and you get a soy sauce bottle, wasabi and ginger, what are you supposed to do with them? Is there a proper technique?

I tend to squeeze a bit of soy sauce on all the sushi pieces, then dip into a bit of wasabi, then between each piece, have a bit of ginger. But my friend says you are supposed to mix the soy sauce together with the wasabi.
    mixing the soy sauce and wasabi is kinda a british thing I think. japanese sushi is sometimes prepared with the wasabi in between the seaweed and rice.

http://www.eugeneciurana.com/musings/sushi-eating-HOWTO.html

* If the spiciness in your sushi is not enough, lace some with soy sauce for dipping your sushi; this is done by dabbing a tiny bit of wasabi (the bright green dough on your plate) onto a small saucer provided to you next to your bigger plate. Add some soy sauce for dipping. Blend it with your chopsticks. The right ratio of wasabi to soy sauce is up to you. Wasabi is very strong, stronger than hot mustard, so be careful with the amounts. The Japanese way is to use soy sauce without adding wasabi to it and dabbing the wasabi onto the sushi morsel itself. Your call.
    * Never dip the sushi rice in soy sauce; turn your piece so that only the fish or whatever you have on it touches the sauce.
    * Never dip in soy sauce something that already has a sauce or decoration on it, like unagi (fresh water eel served with some Teriyaki sauce and sprinkled with sesame seeds). If it looks elaborate or like it has some sauce on it, ask the itamae whether you should dip it.
    * Always dip your sashimi or nigiri if they don't appear to have anything on them.
    * Your plate will have some gari, or pickled ginger, on it. Eat a little bit of it in between sushi pieces to clean your palate. Eating gobs of it is bad form.
    * Ask for some oshinko (various pickled roots like radish) if you don't like pickled ginger.
    On Friday, I went to yo sushi in London. My sister had a 50 % voucher, so we had quite a lot of plates
    :blush::yum:

It was YUMMY and we felt really pleased because I worked out it was only about £4 each.

Then when we went to pay, the voucher wasn't valid and we had to pay the full price. Ooops. It was fun though.

BTW are you supposed to pick up sushi with chopsticks? Some of the bits were really big and a Japanese woman kept looking at us funny, think we were probably doing it wrong. Oh well.

You can get things like cucumber, and tofu sushi.
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    I nibbled a bit once and it was nice but I have such a dodgey tummy and lots of health problems with it that I fear it might make me ill. If I have something slightly under cooked, I can be ill for up to 2 weeks!
    Not sure if undercooking and raw can be classed the same but I don't want to risk the pain!

You might find you handle it better then normal food cos I think it's very easy to digest. the vst majority of what you are eating is rice, the fish is only a tiny bit of the whole thing, sometimes wafer thing.

I threw a party at a Japanese place for valentines and Sushia was the main attraction of the night. You can try things like cucumber sushi and other veggie options.
    thanks koe :D

I'll be going in a week or so... at the weekend though, which is unfortunate, but I'm still very much looking forward to it as I've not been before :yum: