Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Latest Primark bargains!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
#1. camouflage print pumps.. six pound.
#2. tunic style top, blatant copy of the ones topshop are selling at four times the price... 3 quid.
#3. camouflage skirt (yes yes i see the pattern as well) blatant copy of the ones river island do almost every summer.. six pound.

YAY for primark.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    and how long do you think they'll last?

go on, hit me..i'm anti-primark! :p
    I like primark... but as lucifer pointed out, you can't expect them to last more than about 5 washes. And you gotta wonder what kind of wages they're paying to the people who make their clothes.
    I found that primark stuff can last, i have a jumper thats way over a year old from there, wear it all the time still. I have lots of nice things, personally i fucking love the place and can spend ages in there.

Annoying thing is they have shut ours until 2008 when our new shopping centre opens. Grr
    They have loads of really nice hoodies for £8 right now
    I've got Primark stuff that has lasted ages!
    i also want to know whos making this stuff, i recon someones getting abused somewhere along the line...
    dont own any primark stuff myself cos the mens stuff is yank, but the womens stuff always looks ok for like vest tops and stuff.
    pinkvans wrote: »
    #1. camouflage print pumps.. six pound.
    #3. camouflage skirt (yes yes i see the pattern as well) blatant copy of the ones river island do almost every summer.. six pound.

YAY for primark.

haha i bought them 2 the other day! :thumb:
    And i'm normally not a primark fan, but couldn't complain.
    they just opened up a big one near me. could've opened a decent shop instead! :grump:
    i've never had anything shrink OR fall apart

only minor thing is i had a jumper which bobbled after about 3 washes

but what do u expect for the price?

primark is good for the trends....good for things that you're gonna wear a few times before its "soooo last season" and get rid of

i love it there
    I realised yesterday that I've never actually been in a Primark :eek2:
    I love Primark, I go there once a week! You have to feel inspired because things don't always just jump out at you. But I get complimented on my outfits so much and at least half the stuff I wear is from Primark. Some of the stuff they sell is crap, but then again I quite often walk into Topshop etc and think the same thing.
    They might have the odd few alright bits and bobs thing but Primark stores are the most unappealing environment ever.

.... and of course it's just not ethically or economically viable to continue to produce and sell clothes at such cheap prices. Rather worrying.
    lipsy wrote:
    but then again I quite often walk into Topshop etc and think the same thing.

i agree with the top shop thing especially the mens stuff, its shocking these days, unless you are some skinny, geeky person who wears a blazer and a neckercheif, its balls.
    because all the stuff in topshop, miss selfridge etc is hand made by a select team of seamstresses who get tea breaks every half hour and have an annual salary of upward of £20,000..

mostly everything you buy in the shops is going to be made by someone who doesnt get paid very much, but some places just charge more to make more profits.

if we were ethical about everything we did, we would walk everywhere, never drink coffee, tea or eat chocolate, and we'd all wear hessian potato sacks.
    oh yeah and stuff from primark does last... never had anything from there which didn't, and yes, i'm even talking about shoes.

if it's a fashion item you may as well get it from there if you're only going to wear it for like a month!
    A lot of clothes stores are completly unethical. They make their profits by selling small amojnts of clothes at expensive prices (which will take longer to make as Primark stuff isn't the highest of quality) where as Primark make their profits by large amounts of cheaper clothes. I read somewhere (not sure) that M+S is as unethical as Primark (not sure if thats true)
    because all the stuff in topshop, miss selfridge etc is hand made by a select team of seamstresses who get tea breaks every half hour and have an annual salary of upward of £20,000..

are you serious?

i bet its all from china or somewhere, topshop still aint exactly top class stuff is it? i cant imagine their stuff being individually made...especially when its still pretty cheap in their stores.
    koe_182 wrote: »
    are you serious?

I don't think she was...
    ha i think you are right, my lack of ability to get sarcasm is appalling.

ETA: you should make the most of china being cheap at the moment it wont be long till the prices start going up once they have the market to themselves, they already pretty much single handedly control the price of raw metals.

the amounts they have gone up with is a joke.

once they get to a level, they'll take over the world and rule all. mark my words.
    kangoo wrote: »
    A lot of clothes stores are completly unethical. They make their profits by selling small amojnts of clothes at expensive prices (which will take longer to make as Primark stuff isn't the highest of quality) where as Primark make their profits by large amounts of cheaper clothes. I read somewhere (not sure) that M+S is as unethical as Primark (not sure if thats true)

Marks and Spencer is at least part of the Ethical Trading Initiative which means they have to sign up to a minumum set of standards for the workers who make their clothes and carry out regular audits and monitoring visits - which are then independantly reviewed.

It is perfectly possible to find nice clothes which are ethically sound as is its perfectly possible to drink tea and coffee and eat chocolate as well.

Oh and if you can be bothered i reccomend that you take a look at this before you next venture into primark.
    briggi wrote: »
    They might have the odd few alright bits and bobs thing but Primark stores are the most unappealing environment ever.

The one in Leeds is horrendous and I never find anything nice in there. Manchester however has a really big one and its much better.

mostly everything you buy in the shops is going to be made by someone who doesnt get paid very much, but some places just charge more to make more profits.

if we were ethical about everything we did, we would walk everywhere, never drink coffee, tea or eat chocolate, and we'd all wear hessian potato sacks.

I'm sorry, are you for real? Talk about a defeatist attitude.

The fact that Topshop may or may not be any more ethically sound [though I believe it is, after having had the spotlight shone on it for similar practises in the past] doesn't make a jot of difference to the issue here, which is the questionable ethics of Primark. It makes me laugh that people think Primark is trying to do them a favour by selling things closer to the true price of their clothing. Word to the wise, no shop - expensive or cheap - is doing themselves out of profit for our benefit. The only difference is that some have signed up to monitoring intiatives and some haven't.

Oh, but of course, other people will be shopping/eating/living unethically, too... and if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! :yeees:

For the record, M&S has fairly rigid standards in terms of clothing production (and the rest) these days. Not comparable to Primark, at all.
    they just opened up a big one near me. could've opened a decent shop instead! :grump:

Aye thats where i got my shoes from on Sunday. It was soooo less busy than the one here so i didn't feel like running from the shopping screaming, and managed to stay in there more than 2 minutes.
    When I go to Newcastle to spend my birthday money 1st shop I'll head to will be Primark and I expect to buy quite a bit there like I did with my Xmas money (spent £83 :lol:)
    I love Manchester's Primark... my hairdressers is just around the corner so I allow myself a massive blowout there once a month. Ace.

I've been in the Leeds one and I don't think it's all that bad - but it's nowhere near as good as the Manchester one.
    lea_uk wrote: »
    When I go to Newcastle to spend my birthday money 1st shop I'll head to will be Primark and I expect to buy quite a bit there like I did with my Xmas money (spent £83 :lol:)

£83?!?! You could buy an entire wardrobe at Primark for that! Jeeeez girl, I thought I was bad! :lol:
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I like primark's socks.
    Primark is a shite company to work for you know, I worked there. They play the staff as little as possible, that and they use slave labour. THATS why its cheap you heartless bastards!
    I love love love love love primark. I have to admit I don't own many items of clothing from them, PJs, slippers, underwear, socks, vest tops and a few hoodies BUT that is not because of any other issue apart from how far away the nearest primark is to me.

NOT ONE, not one of the items I have bought have not lasted. The Pjs shrink when 1st washed and dried BUT hey buy a size bigger than normal.

And yes I do realise they probably slave trade the hell out of poor bangladeshi workers and I shouldn't be encouraging by buying but, like briggi said if you can't beat em, join em!
    ashlee wrote: »

And yes I do realise they probably slave trade the hell out of poor bangladeshi workers and I shouldn't be encouraging by buying but, like briggi said if you can't beat em, join em!

err no i don't think thats what she said.

I would like to see you live on $7 a week though and then decide if you would like to still buy cheap clothes.