Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Erm .. This is odd

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For me anyway.

I got a muscle cramp around 0700 this morning, first one this year, was just waiting for the next one that's how used to suffering from one i am now. You never get over the bloody pain though that's for sure !

Anyway. This is very hard to explain but basically I'm sitting here right now and it feels like something is, well for want of a better explanation, something is crawling around in my calf. It's quite uncomfortable and to be honest worries me, as does getting these cramps at all because they are so sporadic !

I say it's odd because yeah i've felt this feeling before but it's usually gone away quite quickly but i've still got it even now. I've tried stretching my legs my cals tried walking about tried applying deep heat [ my usual treatment when i suffer a cramp] but none of it is making this stop.

It feels in such a way that were i to move my leg into the right position it would instantly cramp again, which makes me fear going to sleep aswell because this is what usually happens. Get none for months then one after the other which eventually stop for months again.

I am annoyed that the doctors simply didn't care. When asked if they knew what the cause of these cramps was i was told " No but drink lots of water ". Grrr for gods sake water isn't going to do anything, the fact that i did take water and it did nothing did enough to prove that to me.

Anyway what else can i do to make this go away it's really bothering me. I think when i next go to the doctor, who is a new one i got since moving back here a year ago, i will ask again but i want her to tell me more than " don't know don't care "

:(

Comments

• Options
    I'm sure it has something to do with a vitamin or nutrient deficiency..
  • Options
    Drinking water won't help it immediately, BUT keeping yourself well hydrated should help stop it happening as much.

If it's your calf try getting something like a towel and hooking it over your toes, then using it to pull your toes up towards your nose (with your leg straight), we use that one at work quite a lot.
  • Options
    I drink PLENTY of liquid everyday so that's not a problem.

When i get a cramp my instant action is to pull toes upwards towards me and push my heel away from me i learnt that VERY quickly when i started getting cramps.

What's bothering me righ tnow is this uncomfortable feeling in my calf that i cannot shake off. It's not a cramp but the remnants of it. Very difficult to explain this feeling to be honest.

Have been reading up on the NHS direct website about it. I suffer from what they term " Night cramps " about the lying in an awkward position. It isn't so much that but rather my feet that can move into this " awkward position ".

I think i'm going to have to make some serious changes health wise i can't go on suffering like this with these cramps anymore, the pain just becomes too unbearable at time's and it's not worth suffering in silence over.
  • Options
    I've had the feeling of something crawling up leg before and it's bloody annoying but I've never though much of it.
  • Options
    Oh and most mornings I wake up with cramp.
  • Options
    Do you know the amount of varying information regarding cramps just amazes me, it really does. Every other wekbsite i look at has a different or slightly different take on what causes them.

I have found a treatment for night cramps and although it says boots and Lloyds sell them their websites dont stock them so i really hope the shops do !

Else it's a VERY quick trip to the doctor to ask for them !
  • Options
    I might be completely wrong on this, but I've heard that low sodium can sometimes cause cramps. I occasionally get cramp, and was advised to add more salt to my diet. Not sure if there's any truth in it, but there you go.