Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Uni and medical forms- please help!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've recently applied for a uni, and I've been accepted for a teaching course- primary, early years.

They've sent me a medical form, which I'm a bit worried about, it asks about if I've had depression, and can they have my permission to approach a family doctor for a medical report on me.

I've been self harm free for nearly three months now, however they have upped my medication to 10mg. Would this have any effect on my chance of getting in to the uni?

Thankyou.

Comments

• Options
    your-babe wrote: »
    I've recently applied for a uni, and I've been accepted for a teaching course- primary, early years.

They've sent me a medical form, which I'm a bit worried about, it asks about if I've had depression, and can they have my permission to approach a family doctor for a medical report on me.

I've been self harm free for nearly three months now, however they have upped my medication to 10mg. Would this have any effect on my chance of getting in to the uni?

Thankyou.

depends on the university in all honesty. they will be trying to ensure that you are mentally fit enough and suitable to become a teacher. thats in everyones best interests. you have to pass a medical for certain careers. although from previous experience imo you're better off having a criminal record than you are being a self harmer career wise. all you can do is fill it in as honestly as you can. you have to give them permission for your gp notes anyway. and just hope for the best. at the worst they will tell you to apply again at a later date.
  • Options
    do you really HAVE to give them permission? that seems weird.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    do you really HAVE to give them permission? that seems weird.

you don't. they reject your application. simple.
  • Options
    Cheers otter, much appreciated :)
  • Options
    Ok, well seeing as you have to give your permission, it might be a good idea to speak to your GP first. Tell them that you're applying for this position and ask them what they're going to reply, and if they can word it in a way that is truthful but son't jeopardise your application.
  • Options
    Tbh your GP will reply with the facts in a professional manner, you pleading with them isn't going to make any difference to what they say, so it's only worth doing if it makes you feel better. It would however be a courtesy to let your GP know (drop a note in or something) that one of the uni's you've applied to may be in touch.

Whatever you do don't lie, you'll get caught and they'll kick up a much bigger fuss than if you had been honest in the first place.

All they really want to know is if you are capable of managing the pressures of the course and if you're safe to take responsibility for children.
  • Options
    I wasn't thinking of lying, I know it would only catch up with me :) Thankyou for the replies, I will drop in a note to my Doctor.