Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

One Night Stand 'Etiquette'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is a bit random I realise, but basically...when you've had a one night stand...how do you tend to act with them.

I mean the other day I took a guy home, who I knew from my course I'd like to add, but not very closely or anything and it happened...and he ended up staying till 2 in the afternoon after that night, talking and kipping. Bearing in mind it was 5am by the time we'd got to mine having left at 2am and we'd gone to a park and talked on the swings as he's from a different country and is generally very interesting. But anyway yes. The thing is lying there I wondered, does everyone do this. I mean I curled right into him, he held me the whole night. In the morning there was more chat and cuddling into one another. But is that...what everyone does. 'Cause I know the guy, I'm not sure it counts as much because I'm more aware of being attracted to him from seeing him around and we had topics in common we could talk about.

But the scenario is : You pick up a random dude/dudette. When you wake up, do you stay? Do you cuddle up, are you affectionate, intimate, do you go cold, do you freeze up can't find a word to say to one another usually and bugger off.

I haven't the nerve for a random one night stand. But wondered how others respond in the situation?

Comments

• Options
    Generally I either make myself scarce after the act, or lie down and cuddle..I can always gage by the other person's reaction...with the fuck buddy we tend to fal asleep together and he'll chuck his arm over but sometimes I deliberately shy away, to show I'm not in anyway attached to him.

On holiday, I shagged one guy and we stayed up talking the entire morning (didn't get to his until 5am anyway) and then I went home, a kiss at the door and if I saw him whilst I was outwe ignored each other. The second guy I pulled I kind of "seen" him while I was there, we stayed with each other and enjoyed the banter with our friends etc but of course on holiday things are slightly skewed.

I would never kick someone out of my bed but if they were a random I picked up form the club or whatever I'd expect them to take the "wow Im tired.." hint and push off afterwards.
  • Options
    The lie down and cuddle thing is common. from my experience.

Although I'm also confused about this lately. With a guy I see on Occasions, He's always really loveable and snuggly, up until i leave... Like the following afternoon :)
  • Options
    Had some fairly interesting scenarios upon waking up from one nighters. I once got up and made breakfast and then left without saying goodbye, also once tried to make a sneaky exit and got caught by the girls 3 kids playing in the hallway!
  • Options
    I always propose to them afterwards.

doesn't sound like your usual one night stand malteser... You knew him beforehand, have affectionate feelings for him and enjoyed his company beforehand for hours. The only thing this has common with an 1n stand is the sex.

Do you want to see him again?
  • Options
    I would leave before morning - preferably so that I get home just in time for my mates to be up to see me in the clothes I was wearing the night before so they realise what a stud I am.

I would then, very 'cooly,' refuse to talk about it. Giving nothing away but a wink and a bit of laddish innuendo.

Actually I think it probably varies from person to person and situation to situation. But it doesn't sound like either of you intend it to be one night only.
  • Options
    i dont do it anymore because im in a fantastic relationship, but i used to have real issues with one night stands, after the deed i prefferred to leave before going to sleep. I dont like staying at other peoples houses at the best of times, so i just used to get a cab home or walk or whatever afterwards. i didnt just cut it off there tho, im not that heartless, i would always send a few txts or calls afterwards
  • Options
    This is one of the reasons one night stands weird me out. I've only ever had one, but from listening to other people talk it seems to me that there's always at least one of you who really wants to be in a relationship, and a one night stand is a way of almost playing 'let's pretend'. There's no real feeling there but you cuddle up and pretend to really care about them - sometimes even to the point where you start to fool yourself. And then the mess begins.

I guess there's no real etiquette to it - you just have to monitor how the other person's behaving and try to make things as comfortable as possible...
  • Options
    I was talkative and cuddly, I don't see the point in running away, if you can be close enough to slip one to them you can be close enough to hang around for a bit.
  • Options
    Depends if I have to be somewhere (no, really)...

Also, I hate laying around without having brushed my teeth/had a shower etc. Also depends how rough I feel...

I have certainly never left in the middle of the night, that's for sure.
  • Options
    I've only ever had a 'one night stand' with my ex - and we've done it about 7 times since we split. The last time was Sunday night.

He always cuddles up really tightly, with his legs wrapped round me, calls me babe and other pet names, put his hand on mine or holds it, strokes my arm..all the usual stuff that seems kind of 'coupley'.

But, it's just sex and he doesn't have any feelings for me so... *shrugs*
  • Options
    Alasia: That is not a one night stand
  • Options
    So if it was one night of sex with someone you see around or know from a distance then it doesn't count, lipsy? I'd count anything that happens once only and doesn't develop into any form of relationship as a one night stand, stranger or not.
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    So if it was one night of sex with someone you see around or know from a distance then it doesn't count, lipsy? I'd count anything that happens once only and doesn't develop into any form of relationship as a one night stand, stranger or not.

Alasia stated she had slept with her ex more than once. Lipsy was simply saying that it was not a one night stand. More of a "fuck buddy" which is true
  • Options

No I agree, fi you've only slept with someone once then it is a ONS. But Alasia went out with her ex for 5 months and then carried on sleeping with him after they broke up.
  • Options
    The morning after I'll usually know if it's a one nighter or not, always swap numbers and have a goodbye kiss and say "text me" or something along those lines.

A drunken pull is just that though, I'm no more likely to have anything in common with her than I would any other random in a club so that's why they end up as one nighters.
  • Options
    You have a point Lipsy.

I was counting it as a similar kind of thing though; even though we cuddled up and did 'coupley' stuff afterwards, it was just sex and he didn't have any feelings for me.

Fuck Buddy or ONS, it's still just sex.
  • Options
    smitherz wrote: »
    Alasia stated she had slept with her ex more than once. Lipsy was simply saying that it was not a one night stand. More of a "fuck buddy" which is true

Yeah I know - Lipsy changed her post as I was replying (cheeky ;) ).
  • Options
    A one-night stand is sex with someone who is a stranger or at best a passing acquaintance. Anything else is being a fuck buddy at best.

I don't think that being cuddly and talking to your conquest is being coupley. Whilst you've gone on looks not personality, its nice to talk to who you've just shagged. Only good manners innit.
  • Options
    And afterall they aren't mind readers...

How else are they going to know you like your bacon crispy and would prefer your eggs scrambled???
  • Options
    depends what your definitions of a one night stand are. if you go by meeting a complete stranger and going back to theirs/yours then i've never had a one night stand. i met a friend of a friend and went back to his and slept with him then stayed till the morning when he had to go to work. i walked some of the way with him then went home - was perfectly happy with not having swapped numbers or anything. but because i knew his housemate, he told his housemate that he thought i was 'really nice. pretty, great tits, amazing body and cracking shag' (err thanks!) so got my number. we slept together once after that. the last person i slept with i met on a night out and we swapped numbers then the next week i saw him out and he came back to mine but went about an hour after (he was a nob head and had a girlfriend). just wait and see what happens but try not to read too much into it. :)
  • Options
    I don't think that being cuddly and talking to your conquest is being coupley. Whilst you've gone on looks not personality, its nice to talk to who you've just shagged. Only good manners innit.

Yeah but holding hands and wrapping round each other so tightly that the girl (me!) has trouble breathing? (I swear he was just trying to suffocate me) That's just weird. 'Just sex' should be just that; sex and nothing else, IMO. That's all I went round there for, after all.

Buit, can't speak for other people:)
  • Options
    you're right, you can't. he just sounds a bit strange.
  • Options
    When I said holding tightly so I can't breathe, I just meant cuddling, but with my head kind of against his chest, and him with his arm around me.

It's hard to explain. It''s not suffocation in an s&m way!

He tends to wrap his whole body round me - our legs intertwined, both his arms round me, that kind of thing :)
  • Options
    Oh Alasia you're making me smile. :) Not in a nasty way!

I don't know what this is gonna escalate into because it's not what I would call a one night stand. It was just obscure going home with him, not regretful but as I've had part of my module with him I know of him though not closely so it wasn't so random. For the most part my question was more at random one night stands. Having never had that circumstance occur, I was wondering how people reacted in the morn and the closest situation I had to that was that experience!

Thanks for the replies guys, tis interesting!
  • Options
    alasia wrote: »
    I've only ever had a 'one night stand' with my ex - and we've done it about 7 times since we split. The last time was Sunday night.

Sunday. Bloody hell Alasia.
  • Options
    ruby_soho wrote: »
    Sunday. Bloody hell Alasia.

Just because your not getting any :p
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    Just because your not getting any :p

Noooo!

a) because thats a fib :p

and b) because sunday, would be after saturday night and this thread

http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php?t=111635&page=3
  • Options
    ruby_soho wrote: »
    Noooo!

a) because thats a fib :p

and b) because sunday, would be after saturday night and this thread

http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php?t=111635&page=3

:no: Oh dear. I remember the issue over all that now. Just forgot it was related to alasia.

Some people never learn BUT it's their choice and what can you do!
  • Options
    Bang your head against a wall :p
  • Options
    Always nail them once more in the morning. It's rude not to.