Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

England win the Commonwealth Bank Series

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/6349169.stm

I dont understand cricket, so could someone please explain to me after losing every single game for the last 2 months or so, how England have won the tournament? :confused:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    You have a long qualifying campaign (the tri-series) for a best-of-three final. After jamming their way into the final because the Kiwis are so shite, they have now won two of the three games, and so win the cup.

Fucking load of shite. Betcha they all get knighthoods or sommat.
  • Options
    So it was all just a pointless waste of time basically? Well, thats my interpretation of it anyway. I was just wondering because i've been covering it during my sports news stories for student radio and i didn't actually know what was going on...
  • Options
    It's an exercise in making money. It's utterly stupid, and if I were an England player I'd be embarrassed right now.
  • Options
    Well, I wouldn't feel that shite.

Ok, they were absolutely pathetic in the test series - gutless, passionless and completely lacking in ideas or drive.

That said, there were some bold and controversial selections for the one-day team but they appeared to have born fruit. Mal Loye, Jamie Dalrymple, Liam Plunkett and Ed Joyce have done themselves proud. Granted, it won't make up for the performance in the Ashes series but they can draw a lot of positives from the one-day performances. Especially since they haven't won a one-day series on tour since 1997 and are not renowned for being a one-day side. However, they've beaten the Australians, the world one-day champions, comfortably in two successive games. That to me, suggests something positive.

And Paul Collingwood has been in sparkling form recently - the main reason we won; two centuries and a fifty in his last 3 innings plus some incredible catches and run-outs. It's not all doom and gloom.
  • Options
    Amazing line from the reporter on the news last night

“England have taught the Aussies a lesson in sporting arrogance”

The irony of that comment shouldn’t be lost on anyone.
  • Options
    And I love the way that they are now talking about "England being real contenders for the world cup"....

Cue Egg-On-Face :)
  • Options
    Indeed, the very Scum newspaper that only days ago was saying what shit side England is and how useless and undeserving of OBEs its players are is now jumping on the bandwagon again and saying what a great side they are. You really couldn't make it up...:D
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    It's an exercise in making money. It's utterly stupid, and if I were an England player I'd be embarrassed right now.
    Come on, get a fucking grip will you!!

Embarrased by what??
    The Ashes test series .... YES
    Winning the one-day tournament............NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Why the hell would the team be embarrased to win a one-day 3 match final against the Aussies (the best one-day team in the world)??

Surprised you haven't decided to be English this week to tell you truth cos thats usually the case :p
  • Options
    England lost eight games of the series and ended up as champions against a team who beat them repeatedly.

I'd be ashamed to call myself a winner.
  • Options
    You play by the rules of the competition Kermit, you know that.

England won fair and square (although I don't think that we should hype it too much) and should be proud.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    England lost eight games of the series and ended up as champions against a team who beat them repeatedly.

I'd be ashamed to call myself a winner.
    As MoK said its the rules of the tournament!!

I'd be gutted if I was an Aussie but on this one occasion they haven't done it when it matters, thats why England are winners and the aussies are the losers on this occasion!!
    England should be very proud to come away from the tour with something after some dismal displays but again like MoK said it shouldn't be hyped up too much!! England were the better team when it mattered, thats what it boils down to and thats why England have the trophy!
  • Options
    You play by the rules of the competition Kermit, you know that.

You do, and its not bitterness, its just that I'd be ashamed to call myself a champion after being spanked so resoutely for most of the tournament.
  • Options
    I don't she why they should be ashamed. They are champions, fair and square.

Like MoK says they shouldn't be too proud of it in light of the performance in that tournament and indeed the entire tour Down Under, but they shouldn't be ashamed either. They beat Australia, the best in the business and who hadn't lost that tournament for 14 years.

Perhaps it's the Australians who should be ashamed of themselves for losing at home against a team that has been so massively inferior to them throughout the last 3 months :D
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Perhaps it's the Australians who should be ashamed of themselves for losing at home against a team that has been so massively inferior to them throughout the last 3 months :D

:thumb: