Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Favourite names

124»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Iona or Mairi for a girl, Campbell or Callum for a boy.

Iona is gorgeous, is pretty high on my list. If the biggest bitch I knew wasn't called Mairi I might quite like that too :razz:

I find the concept of Campbell as a first name pretty bizarre since it's been my surname for 21 years. Very Scottish [though it might make the wee laddy a few enemies :p]!
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Nikki* wrote: »
    ..... :blush: How is it pronounced then?
    Almost like Katrina.
    Almost like Katrina.

Ahh. I think I can imagine it, that is prettier than the way I would have said it :lol:

And Briggi, I know what you mean. I met a mates boyfriend a while back now who introduced himself as my surname. At first I thought he just didn't use his first name (what is it with lads for doing that? Do they think it makes them unique?! It doesn't when they've all got the same surname. I know 4 "Smithy"s and they're all mates as well.) but apparently that's his first name. Sounds far too odd to me.
    Nikki* wrote: »
    And Briggi, I know what you mean. I met a mates boyfriend a while back now who introduced himself as my surname.

Ha, bizarre :D

Yeah boys and calling each other by their surnames eh. Both of my brothers are still "Campbell" (well, in polite company anyway) but it never got applied to me. I'd feel offended and left out if I wasn't so relieved :razz:
    Men:
    Oscar, Irwin, Nathan, Edgar

Girls:
    Sophie, Nadine, ...
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Mairi for a girl

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay :D

(although don't actually call them that if they're living anywhere else apart from scotland because no-one can say it or spell it)
    briggi wrote: »
    Ha, bizarre :D

Yeah boys and calling each other by their surnames eh. Both of my brothers are still "Campbell" (well, in polite company anyway)

Yeah, I find it baffling to be fair. The "Smithy"'s I know all live in the same village (same street in fact most of them), and were all in the same year at school - and they're all rather good mates. But obviously, "Smithy" is much more original than Ash, Steve, Luke and Tom. Fairly common names around here, but c'mon, there is a limit.
    but it never got applied to me. I'd feel offended and left out if I wasn't so relieved :razz:

Rather jealous. My male mates at school (including the Smithy's) found it HI-BLOODY-LARIOUS to call me by my surname. Especially shouting it down a crowded corridor. I'm so glad I've left school. :lol:
    I am very boring when it comes to names. Although there is definitely a difference between what I'd call my children and names I think are lovely.

Names I like include Adelaide, Willow, Ariel, Heidi, Amelie...

Names I will probably actually end up calling my children include Elizabeth, Lucy, Eleanor, Matthew, Alexander, Ewan.

Oh, and Briggi, I have a Norwegian friend called Cecilia, except it's spelt Cecilie (which I think is a much nicer spelling), and my Mum's cousin is called Cecilie, but it's pronounced Cecily! So I might have to try and sneak that one in as a middle name somewhere!