Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

US accuses Iran over Iraq bombs

Story

Pretext for invading and disarming another country that the US doesn't like?

Seems awfully familiar doesn't it?

I wonder who's next on the hitlist...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The US has been grooming the world for months in preparation for an attack on Iran. This is just the next step, and all the 'justification' Washington needs to attack.

According to this article plans to attack Iran are well advanced and could come to be in a few weeks.

It would seem that Putin was spot on when he said last week:

"One state, the United States, has overstepped its national borders in every way.

This is very dangerous. Nobody feels secure any more because nobody can hide behind international law,' Putin said. 'This is nourishing an arms race with countries seeking to obtain nuclear weapons... We're witnessing the untrammelled use of the military in international affairs... Why is it necessary to bomb and to shoot at every opportunity?''

The biggest laugh of it all is of course the supreme hypocrisy of the USA, a country that has unashamedly provided weapons, training and support to dozens if not hundreds of factions of fascists, terrorists, drug dealers and murderers throughout the world.

The sooner we deal with this pariah state, the better.
  • Options
    I'd love to see America invade Iran and see their sorry yankee doodle asses whipped.
  • Options
    As usual, Putin proves to be one of the more sane and sage world leaders at the moment. At least he has the balls to stand up to the US and do things for his coutry's interests and not those of Bush.

I must say I would be quite tickled if the US did invade and then actually saw the full extent of Iran's arsenal. Sooner or later, they are going to experience a military defeat as big if not bigger than Vietnam then hopefully the people will completely lose it with the Republicans, a peoples' coup will ensue, and Barack Obama will be installed as President. We can only hope.
  • Options
    Does it occur to any of you that Iran might be doing this? Or because the US is saying it, then it must be a lie?
  • Options
    As usual, Putin proves to be one of the more sane and sage world leaders at the moment.

Who has probably killed about as many people in Chechnya as the Iraq war has.
  • Options
    As usual, Putin proves to be one of the more sane and sage world leaders at the moment.

:lol:

Nearly fell off my chair.

Good to see him abuse the US, yes, but "sane and sage".

You, sir, are having a laugh.

As for the OP. Of course Iran is involved. Always have been. It's partly why the US is there, keep Iran busy there and they won't be as interested elsewhere...
  • Options
    I also enjoyed today's news that Iran are apparently supplying Shi'ite forces in Iraq with weapons.... The US are going to step on one too many toes soon, and WWIII will properly break out.
  • Options
    In a further exercise of supreme hypocrisy, the US has criticised Russia for selling defensive short-range weapons to Iran.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=84362007

The cheek of the cunts truly beggars belief.

Though I can understand why they are uneasy about Iran buying the best anti aircraft defence system in the world. Its fighters and even its missiles would be blown out of the sky by the Iranians. What a pity that would be.
  • Options
    :lol:

Nearly fell off my chair.

Good to see him abuse the US, yes, but "sane and sage".

You, sir, are having a laugh.

No, I'm not.

The war in Chechnya is happening because Russia, quite rightly, don't want to grant them independence. It would be like Milton Keynes trying to declare independence. It is a part of Russia. If Moscow granted them independence, what would happen to all the other former states assimilated by the former USSR? When the wall fell, Chechnya declared its independence from Moscow but it's never been recognised. Now should Moscow bow to every part of the country that declares itself independent? Should it fuck! Incidentally, the ONLY state on earth that has thus far recognised Chechnya as a valid independent state was the Taliban.

I mean, they already gave away the Ukraine, for which thousands of Russians died in the 1800s. I personally think Moscow has every right to fight tooth and nail to keep Chechnya, especially in the wake of the number of bombings in Moscow and the seige in Beslan.

Aside from that, Putin's foreign policy has been cuatious, reasonable and wise. He is the only leader of the G8 man enough to actually stand up to the US and not bow to its demands.
  • Options
    Yep, there's only one side to that story, the Russians nobly and bravely fighting an evil terrorist organisation.
  • Options
    I didn't say that at all.

The fact of the matter is, one part of their country is fighting for independence which no-one else in the world recognises and the 'parent' nation is fighting back.
  • Options
    I didn't say that at all.

The fact of the matter is, one part of their country is fighting for independence which no-one else in the world recognises and the 'parent' nation is fighting back.

It's not as simplistic as that.

AFAIK Checnyans are ethicnally and religiously disctinct from the rest of Russia with their own customs. They've also had a history of fighting for independance so it's not merely a new phenomenon.
  • Options
    Was Chechnya part of Russia before the Soviet Union came to be?

Regardless of whether Chechnyia deserves independence, you have to admit that what the Russians have done there is nothing short of a crime against humanity Thunderstruck.

Chechnyan fighters are even more repugnant of course, but that does not merit castigating civilians and literally obliterating an entire city.
  • Options

I think it is more the methods Russia uses rather than the cause in particular which is the issue with most people.
  • Options
    Chechyna was conquered by Russia in the nineteenth century. Bad as they had it under the Tsars it was even worse under the Communists, Stalin deported virtually the entire population and tried to replace them with ethnic russians (and whats worse the area he dpeorted them too was one of the places the Soviets tested atomic weapons).

Before Yeltsin went in the first time, the "independent" state of Chechyna was falling to pieces, it couldn't afford to pay pensions, was corrupt and was split between about three different factions. If Yeltsin had waited a few months any idea of independence would have been dead for a generation.
  • Options
    Aladdin; Are we to assume that you totally dont think the Iranians are doing this? Or that if they are then they are a force for good?
  • Options
    If they are then I guess it's a tricky situation.

You could see it as them helping out their Muslim brethren against the evil oppressor in the same way that the US would leap to Israel's defence were anything to happen to them. Or maybe it's because a lot of people in the west think that Iran wants to make a fucking huge crater out of Israel all together and thus this could be construed as preemptive action.

I think whether they are or not is rather beside the point. As long as there's a suspicion and the US can get people on their side over this, then Iran better start target practice very soon.
  • Options
    double post
  • Options
    Oh it's quite probable Iran is doing it.

As for what makes them, it makes them an interventionist belligerant country. Though certainly no worse than the USA, who of course have gone one better than sending weapons to a faction in Iraq and actually bombed, invaded and occupied the country themselves.

Fact is the US remains an illegal aggresor and occupier of a sovereign nation after overthrowing its government, replacing it with a bunch of puppets and giving them extensive weapons, training and support. It is rather hilarious that it should complain other nations sending a few weapons to a different faction.

ETA: Iran is no worse either than our very own Britain and a good few other Western nations that have sent weapons/troops/support to the occupation forces.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    ETA: Iran is no worse either than our very own Britain and a good few other Western nations that have sent weapons/troops/support to the occupation forces.

So just because they are 'no worse' than the US, it makes it ok for them to kill western soldiers and prelong the civil war?
  • Options
    Depends on the point of view I guess. They probably see the US-led occupation as the worst thing that has happened to Iraq and a continuing source for conflict, death and misery for millions. And as such they would seek the defeat of the occupaying forces as the best thing that can happen for the Iraqis and the entire region.

I deplore every civilian death and don't particularly applaud the deaths of combatants either. But from an impartial point of view it is not wrong to say that soldiers are fair targets. If Iran genuinely believes aiding fighters will lead to the defeat of the occupation forces then I don't think any Western country can complain about its acts. Specially since the tactic of arming and supporting factions and groups abroad has been extensively used by the West for decades.
  • Options
    So Iranian style government in Iraq would be a good outcome?

I question you because the only real thing you seem concerned about is making sure everyone knows the US is the worst force in the World since the Black Death.

Of course Iraq is a balls up, of course the reasons for the war were spurious at best, but I really dont think a proxy war between Iran and the US is what Iraq needs right now.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Depends on the point of view I guess. They probably see the US-led occupation as the worst thing that has happened to Iraq and a continuing source for conflict, death and misery for millions. And as such they would seek the defeat of the occupaying forces as the best thing that can happen for the Iraqis and the entire region.

I deplore every civilian death and don't particularly applaud the deaths of combatants either. But from an impartial point of view it is not wrong to say that soldiers are fair targets. If Iran genuinely believes aiding fighters will lead to the defeat of the occupation forces then I don't think any Western country can complain about its acts. Specially since the tactic of arming and supporting factions and groups abroad has been extensively used by the West for decades.

True, but it also means that Iran is making itself a player and can't complain if the US, the UK and Iraqi Govt take action against it.

I suspect Iran is also loess worried about what's good for Iraq and more that a weakened Iraq in the middle of civil war is good for Iran, especially given the long -standing hostility between the two states.
  • Options
    I suspect Iran is also less worried about what's good for Iraq and more that a weakened Iraq in the middle of civil war is good for Iran, especially given the long -standing hostility between the two states.

They are destabalising Iraq so they can make an easier play to have power there. You could of course argue that the US planned to do exactly the same.
  • Options
    A war with Iran is inevitable. Anyone who's had their eyes open for the past couple of years will have seen it coming. The media have been used to distribute low-level conditioning of the public psyche for a long while now. The nuclear power/weapons story and the helping of Iraqi insurgents are now just solidifying the justification for it.

The Iranians are far from innocent - that’s for sure. They're the disruptive pupil who keeps testing to see how much they can get away with; while America is the self-appointed prefect with a bully-boy mentality. They were always bound to clash. It just happens that one of them is the world super-power and can do what the fúck it likes.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    I'd love to see America invade Iran and see their sorry yankee doodle asses whipped.
    I don't. It means a lot of dead American and Iranian soldiers and civilians, another destabilized country in an already unstable region, more reasons for people in third world countries to follow a radical agenda, and one more victory scored for the military industrial complex which seems to have hijacked the US government.
  • Options
    I don't. It means a lot of dead American and Iranian soldiers and civilians, another destabilized country in an already unstable region, more reasons for people in third world countries to follow a radical agenda, and one more victory scored for the military industrial complex which seems to have hijacked the US government.

I wasn't being entirely serious. :p
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    I wasn't being entirely serious. :p

yeah, I know. Just not looking forward to this whole two front war thing that is looking more and more likely.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    They are destabalising Iraq so they can make an easier play to have power there. You could of course argue that the US planned to do exactly the same.

Basically that's why the US gave support to both Iran and Iraq to keep them both killing each other rather than anyone else.
  • Options
    If Iran are given weapons to the Iraq factions, then I don't see why people are so quick to defend them?

Why are they getting involved? Surely they should stay out and exercise their anger through the correct political mediums..

Sounds crazy but you know what I mean.