Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Key Skills ICT

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Why do I have to do this even though (and the teacher knows because she asked) I got a pass (4Cs) for GNVQ ICT? Same goes for Application of Number - I got a C at GCSE Maths.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    im not sure, could be to do with your english. i didnt have to do it, but i got C's in all 3
  • Options
    I dont fully understand it either. I got two A's at ICT at GCSE and I still had to take Key Skills Level 2 in it last year, and I'm doing Application of Number and Communications this year, even though I don't need to. Probably a government standards thing.
  • Options
    Yep I got A at ICT, English and Maths. I have to do the work for all three of them but not the exams yet I will still get the certificate or something redicilous like that! The tutors at college say well it is another certificate to own and that but to be honest who needs it if your GCSEs are up to scratch
  • Options
    key skills are a big waste of time if you already have a gcse etc in the same subject area. I'm sure most teachers would agree with this, but it seems whoever was responsible for implementing this key skills thing didn't think about that and said everyone has to do it... silly really.

luckily I think mine was the first year it was implemented and no one really bothered with it.

it does make sense for those who are not so good at these key skills though, but that's no reason to make someone who knows how to use a computer already do ICT again.
  • Options
    It depends what level. When I started college it was suddenly dropped in that KeySkills in communication at level 3 is required. Apparently an AS English equivalent.

If you have done the GCSE level ICT (apparently worth 4 GCSEs, a load of shit really), then I cannot see a point in doing key skills level 2 ICT.
  • Options
  • Options
    hey i was doing a foundation degree in ICT and had to do keyskills....explain that one!
  • Options
    Littleali wrote: »
    hey i was doing a foundation degree in ICT and had to do keyskills....explain that one!

Now THAT's bordering on ridiculous. (I assume you mean Key Skills ICT)

I'm refusing to go my Key Skills Communication this year. I passed ICT last year, and I've done all my work for Number this year (I'm exempt from the exams anyway), but because of being rather ill, I missed all the input for Communication. I don't understand it, and my tutor refuses to help me, to a point that she's announced "You shouldn't have been ill then". So I'm just refusing until she actually explains the work to me. If she doesn't, I'll live

(I know it seems like cutting my nose off to spite my own face, but I'd much rather concentrate on the hardest part of my NVQ than bicker over a qualification I don't really need!)
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote: »
    Now THAT's bordering on ridiculous. (I assume you mean Key Skills ICT)

yus, AND application of number
  • Options
    i know when i go to college to do psychology - the people who are there full time say they never bother going to key skills and i don't think anyone cares tbh
  • Options
    Key Skills ICT-Quite possibly the easiest thing you'll ever do in your life. Wouldn't worry about it.
  • Options
    mrbox99 wrote: »
    It depends what level. When I started college it was suddenly dropped in that KeySkills in communication at level 3 is required. Apparently an AS English equivalent.

If you have done the GCSE level ICT (apparently worth 4 GCSEs, a load of shit really), then I cannot see a point in doing key skills level 2 ICT.

I think everyone has to do the first level, which is crap really. I admit, I did fail ICT at GCSE but it was only by one mark and had to redo a unit and passed that so I got enough marks to get 4Cs.
  • Options
    My college are asking a 29 year old mature student to do ICT Key Skill - she's spent 10 years working for DELL. :impissed:

If you're over 19, it is not compulsary. I don't have any ICT qualifications, yet refused to take part simply because I was 20 and a mature student who has a choice.

The main reason why so many schools and colleges force the issue of Key Skills is because they get funded for every student who completes it. :banghead:
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Key Skills ICT-Quite possibly the easiest thing you'll ever do in your life. Wouldn't worry about it.

It's probably the most pointless thing I have ever done in my life too. I remember when I did mine I opened my exam paper and the first question was:

Q: A manager wants to take a photo of his company, what piece of computer hardware would he use?

A: a) a keyboard
    b) a mouse
    c) a hard drive
    d) a digital camera

Shit.... wish i'd revised harder for this one

And the most pointless thing about it was that you only needed 50% to pass :banghead:

Needless to say I dropped keyskills straight after I came out of the exam
  • Options
    Q: A manager wants to take a photo of his company, what piece of computer hardware would he use?

A: a) a keyboard
    b) a mouse
    c) a hard drive
    d) a digital camera

I got many of these Questions when Doing KS3 IT Boo hoo im only doing my GCSE's And they ask you some stupid questions.

It's like have you been in the stone age!
  • Options
    Are you at college?
    Because then it might be to make up your hours because i had to do it last year
  • Options
    I have no idea whether it's to make up the hours or not. A friend of mine who is at college doesn't have to do them. Yet, A-Level people (I'm an NVQ student) don't have to do it and they alot less hours than I do. They only do about 16 and I do about 23...