Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Taking lil bro to lectures

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey.
Do u guys think it would be possible for me to take my twelve year old brother to a few lectiures with me?

I have him staying with me for as long as i deem it necessary, but don't feel comfortable leaving him in the house alone for a few hours without me here.

What do you think?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Will your brother not be in school whilst you are in your lectures?
    ^ I THINK its half term, don't quote me on that though! :)
    I'm pretty sure it's illegal to have an under-16 in the house alone, I was questionned when having a house party and my parents weren't there once.

Eh, sounds a bit drastic but if it has to be done, it has to be done.
    Littleali wrote: »
    ^ I THINK its half term, don't quote me on that though! :)

As of Monday it will be.
    stick him in the university/college nursery
    He said his half term isnt until the week after so he's gunna be having the week off.

I wouldn't leave him in the house alone anyway, i don't like that.

As for putting him in the nursery or summat like that, he wouldn't want to. And if you have to pay i wouldn't be able to afford it anyway.
    jordy wrote: »
    And if you have to pay i wouldn't be able to afford it anyway.

its a lot cheaper than other nursery's.
    well... you could ask your lecturer i suppose but other than that your pretty much screwed.
    otter wrote: »
    its a lot cheaper than other nursery's.
    well... you could ask your lecturer i suppose but other than that your pretty much screwed.

Tis crap!!!
    Think I'm just gonna ask anyway. No harm in trying. Like I say, I'm hoping it's not gonna be a long term thing anyway, so they may be lenient with me, fingers crossed
    is there noone else he could stay with?
    Nobody.

I written in a different thread of how my mum recently OD'd and so i don't really want him going back there for a while. I am so overprotective of him that i don't want him out of my sight anymore.
    Nobody.

I written in a different thread of how my mum recently OD'd and so i don't really want him going back there for a while. I am so overprotective of him that i don't want him out of my sight anymore.

that will fuck anyone up. tell the university/college or wherever you are at the situation. that way they are more likely to be sympathetic.
    otter wrote: »
    that way they are more likely to be sympathetic.

Yeah, I'm sure if you explain the situation, and that it's a temporary measure they'll be more understanding. If it's not possible for you to take him into the lectures they may be able to help you make alternate arrangements.
    guess it also depends how big your lecture hall is. if its big and a lot of people are attending. take him in there, stick a hat on him and tell him to keep his head down and the uni might not even notice :)
    Thanks guys.

I'll send them an email and take it from there
    My class has 120 people in it and in previous years has had up to 300 people in one lecture theatre and there is no way anyone would notice an extra face in a situation like that. I took my sister to a few lectures to let her see what uni was like before she came :)

If you are in a smaller class and it would be obvious that he was there I would recommend talking to your lecturer and just being honest about the situation. If its not possible you could possibly sign him in on a computer for an hour in the library or somewhere? If you trust him not to delete all your coursework of course :impissed: It might also be a good idea to let someone know about the situation at home as it might affect your work having your brother to look after too..? Hope it gets better for you soon. *Hugs*
    I'd talk to your lecturers... Also, do you have any flatmates who could give you a hand? Do you have a playstation he could play on?
    Thanks ppl.

I have one flatmate, but she has lectures at the same time as me, so thats a bit crap.

We have a playstation as well, but like i say I'm way too overprotective at present to leave him alone.

I've emailed my lecturer now, and i reckon she should get back to me tommorrow so i shall have to see how it goes from there
    I don't see why it should be a problem, there were always quite a few children in my lectures when it was half term and nobody really noticed.
    I would imagine your lecturers would say yes if you've got the courtesy to ask in advance. It's not exactly a big deal.
    I wouldn't thought it would be a problem so long as he sits there quietly and doesn't distract you or anyone else. I know people under 16 aren't allowed in our uni buildings on their own, but it's fine as long as they are under supervision at all times.
    I would say though, he'd probably be happier being left with the playstation, and a box of microchips :). When I was 12, or even younger, I much preferred staying at home than going to boring things :p - I was left alone plenty without incident. :)
    Hey guys,

My lecturer got back to me today and said that it wont really be appropriate for my brother to come along as things may be discussed that are a little too old for his ears.

She did help however and told me not to worry too much about missing them, so i feel a little bit better with that. Im just hoping that the situation wont be for too long, as i don't really want to miss too many.

Thanks for all the help
    Hey guys,

My lecturer got back to me today and said that it wont really be appropriate for my brother to come along as things may be discussed that are a little too old for his ears.

She did help however and told me not to worry too much about missing them, so i feel a little bit better with that. Im just hoping that the situation wont be for too long, as i don't really want to miss too many.

Thanks for all the help

ooh makes me wonder what you are studying :razz:
    Maybe you could leave him for an hour or so, so you go to some lectures even if not all of them.

Is there a sports centre in/near your uni, he could go swimming for a couple of hours, safe, supervised and occupied.
    I'm thinking something along the lines of biology

Nope! Its actually psychology!!!! Didn't think there'd be ote frisky about that course!!!
    Why can't he listen to a psycology lecture? Can he come to some of them?

Monster has had a great thought though can you dump him at your uni swimming pool or other sports facility? Mine's got a climbing wall...
    She just said that sex and sexuality come up too much for him to really be able to come.
    Can't really take credit for it, I just know how many kids we get at the pool who are mainly there for babysitting.

Is there a coffee shop/canteen in your dept? You could always leave him there for a lecture, I'm sure if you asked the person who runs it nicely and said your mum wasn't well (remember, that's all you need to say) they wouldn't mind.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's illegal to have an under-16 in the house alone,

It's not.