Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Research papers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I've never written a research paper and I took a writing class last semester but it wasn't research writing, so I was wondering if anybody knew of any books or websites that you have used and would reccomend because they are good.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Hiya my_name,

It really depends on what type of research paper you are writing. If your institution has access to any e-journals or databases you can find academic papers there which can be useful. (web of science, web of knowledge etc)

Or are you looking for books and websites relating to writing a research paper? Sorry if I'm getting the wrong end of the stick here- it is still early!

:)
  • Options
    silverhalo wrote: »
    It really depends on what type of research paper you are writing. If your institution has access to any e-journals or databases you can find academic papers there which can be useful.

:yes:
    if not try google scholar
  • Options
    silverhalo wrote: »

Or are you looking for books and websites relating to writing a research paper?

:)

Thats the one I think. I have no idea about style, cover pages, bibliographies or anything of that nature when it comes to writing. I'm not curious about matter related on topic, but more of a how-to guide I guess... (I still probably make no sense :p)

Thanks though :D
  • Options
    a good start would be to take a look at some existing papers for your subject area, and take not of the literary style for a given journal for example. as previously mentioned, google scholar is good for this, or ATHENS, (if you have something similar, I dont know what you're studying) which many scientific journals belong to.

also note that some research papers are actually not that well written :lol: so see if you can find any faults in the writing style too. you'll find a lot are just plain hard to read.

also, if this is for some sort of assignment, see if you can get a hold of work done by others for this module last semester to look at the layout and referencing style.

different schools sometimes like different styles, but ultimately it's up to you whichever you prefer.