Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

note taking becoming redundant?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I have noticed myself taking almost no notes this year... I guess this happens at other uni's too - they put the lecture slides on the net so you can get them anytime...

I think on the technical courses where its kind of hard to expand from the content note taking can become a bit of a waste (half the time i find myself writing something down then missing the next bit of whats getting said)..

anyone else think this?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Putting lecture slides on the net is the best idea ever!! All my English Language lecturers do that, and the very fact that they use powerpoint presentations with videos and pictures is brilliant, because they give a great visual representation of what's being explained.

capo2
    Yes and no. It depends on teachers and it depends on courses. My uni requires students to own laptops and notes are very much alive. However, now people offer to record lectures to write down and sell, and then we have huge collections of notes from classes/exams/lectures floating around. Makes exams that allow all data a lot easier!

I'm also shit at taking notes so I don't take a lot. ;) But that might change as I'm going to need to lose my precious laptop for old fashioned pen and paper on Monday. :nervous:
    they sell them!? :eek2:

we get them for free over here :D
    When i was at uni the lecturers gave us copies of the slides and put them on the uni website for any one who was away. Despite that i took loads of notes. There's so much that was said by the lecturer or other students that expanded on the slides, that i'd have missed out if i didn't take notes! After all it wasn't as if the lecturers just stood there reading from the slides.
    Ours did yesterday...I was ready to do her harm...I was so bored!! I'm used to lecturers for that part of the course being really hyperactive and interesting...my God she was dull...!!
    muse- wrote: »
    they sell them!? :eek2:

we get them for free over here :D

The uni does have all the equipment needed to record lectures, but they don't want to in case attendance plummets. So some students do instead. Sometimes they try to charge, sometimes it enteres the share-pool immediately.
    We take notes from the blackboard. No copies of the notes online either :( really sucks, especially in Maths where to understand a hard bit you need to know the intermediate bit and if you don't have the notes...
    We get all our notes given out at the beginning of the lectures and they're put on the internet for anyone who wasn't there. We can then add any extra notes that may be required as the lecture goes on but at least we have the backbones of what the lecture was about. However, there seems to be an increasing amount of lecturers changing the modules they are teaching and taking over other peoples notes, that they either haven't read through before hand or don't really understand so all they are doing is reading the notes to us without expanding. I'm starting to feel like turning up to lectures is a pointless waste of my time.
    All of our lectures are online too. I usually print them off and write my own extra notes on the slides. Sometimes the notes aren't out online until after the lecture has taken place in which case I just write on foolscap. I have tried not writing notes and just listening but I tend to drift off into a wee dream world if I do that- I personally find that if I am listening and writing things down I stay "awake" and pay more attention. Depends on the individual though.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Here we get the lectures slides on handout and add our notes as we go along;.

Notes are then put online if you miss the lecture.
    Gosh you're all so lucky!
    Note-taking is more for remembering what you've learned, rather than learning the material. Writing it down helps you remember, so note-taking isn't going to become redundant for dedicated students.
    I think all this "notes online" kinda thing is a bit silly. Whats the point in making it easier for you not to be in lectures. Now dont get me wrong, i dont particularly like gettin up most mornings, but i go cuz i know that i wont know half the stuff im supposed to unless im there.

I think its good to give students all the help you can but it should be pretty obvious that if you dont make it and take notes/pay enough attention to at least absorb what the tutor is saying, then your gonna get in a mess come assignment/exam time.
    Most of our lecturers provide some kind of handout, which has bulky stuff and then we are expected to add to that. Some only hand out the complicated diagrams.
    I never get lectures put up online. Sometimes we get handouts with key bits on it, then add all the detail ourselves. I'm an avid note-taker, I feel that I remember more when I've written it down for myself.
    Most of the Law department in my Uni refuses to put lectures up online because it usually results in people not turning up.

However, they do it in my Land Law module and it doesn't really encourage me to go because alot of the time, everything on the handout is repeated. I do though. Its just, if I miss a lecture, I don't feel so guilty sorta thing.
    All our lecture notes were online. We used to print them off and take them to the lecture so that you could write down explanations of the bullet points.
    muse- wrote: »
    I have noticed myself taking almost no notes this year... I guess this happens at other uni's too - they put the lecture slides on the net so you can get them anytime...

I think on the technical courses where its kind of hard to expand from the content note taking can become a bit of a waste (half the time i find myself writing something down then missing the next bit of whats getting said)..

anyone else think this?

In some cases I do agree with this but not always. There was a mathematics module that I took last semester as part of my course I missed 1 lecture. I thought I would be OK with the lecture notes by they just made no sense at all, I really needed to be in the lecture to have the mathematical notation etc translated to english (effectively). It is also quite typical that the lecture I missed was on the topic of mathematical functions, the only examination question I couldn't answer....
    lipsy wrote: »
    All our lecture notes were online. We used to print them off and take them to the lecture so that you could write down explanations of the bullet points.

i try and do that when i remember but half of the lectures don't put them on the virtual campus anyway. being a student rep i get lots of people moaning to me about it!