Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Recognising disablism

PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
David thinks that disablism should be recognised in the same way as racism, following Shilpa Shetty's treatment in the Big Brother House. And why haven't there been disabled housemates, even though many apply each year?

Recognising disablism

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I guess they try and make the house more 'interesting' with lots of stairs, raised areas etc that may be difficult for a disabled person to navigate and, perhaps, a risk that escape may not be easy if there was a fire?
  • Options
    First of all, what's the ratio of people of disabled to abled people in the United Kingdom? By putting in a disabled person into a gameshow just because there hasn't been one just leads to positive discrimination and you can't have positive discrimination without discrimination. I'm sure that such a person wouldn't want to be the token disabled guy and rather the guy in the wheelchair who happened to beat the other thousands upon thousands of applicants who got in the house (I'm sure they'd have to put a lift next to the stairs up to the BB house, but whatever).
    I'm sure there was a load of fuss about that Tourette's guy going on - wasn't that a disability or something?
  • Options
    They should get a gay black whale in a wheelchair, then they've got all bases covered then.

They've yet to have an attractive woman in the house, too- is that attractivism?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    They should get a gay black whale in a wheelchair, then they've got all bases covered then.

They've yet to have an attractive woman in the house, too- is that attractivism?

Ginger, too. Has there been a ginger person?
  • Options
    Well they've had a black gay Tory. Try to beat that! :D
  • Options
    I think we should go the other way. Stop playing the race card so much. Differences exist in society but why do we always always have to have equal representation of everything. That just leads to positive discrimination.
  • Options
    That Tim bloke was ginger, but he dyed his hair black and shaved off all his chest hair in the middle of the night to stop the housemates knowing he was ginger.
  • Options
    That Tim bloke was ginger, but he dyed his hair black and shaved off all his chest hair in the middle of the night to stop the housemates knowing he was ginger.

Ha! I remember that! He was a right tosser ... (bit not 'cos he was ginger)
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    I guess they try and make the house more 'interesting' with lots of stairs, raised areas etc that may be difficult for a disabled person to navigate and, perhaps, a risk that escape may not be easy if there was a fire?

That excuse doesnt work for every other public building in the country.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    That excuse doesnt work for every other public building in the country.

True. But is it a 'public' building, as such? I'm not agreeing that 'disablism' may be occurring here. They probably have limited space and resources to do some huge open plan building by which a wheelchair, for example, can get perfect access. And then the tasks are sometimes kinda physical ...
  • Options
    Well they choose people based on looks, not brains or anything... They want to make it so teenage girls and boys can drool over it. Big Brother is a meat market, a pretty low brow meat market probably aimed at the same people who read Heat magazine and other voyeuristic publications (no offense to anybody who enjoys it).

I feel that often, people with disabilities are either looked down on, pitied or seen as sexless which is bullshit. They're human beings and just because somebody's legs don't work, or because somebody lacks and arm of cannot see does not make them anything less than human. They are just as capable of being nice, bitchy, funny, horny, racist, happy, sad or sarcastic as anybody.

As for public buildings, the only ones which have any excuse not to modif themselves for wheelchair users is listed buildings, which I'm sure can make changes.

Check out this lady's Myspace, I think it's wonderful!

Just a question... For anybody else who follows the L Word, what do you think ofthe new character in it who is deaf?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    QUOTE]

That comment is out of order.

What is wrong with gay people?
    What is wrong with black people?
    What is wrong with whale like people?
    What is wrong with wheelchair users?

The way you phrased that makes you sound like they are the "bottom" end of our society and they should be included, not because they are valuable people in the society but more to cover your tracks for discrimination. I really can't believe you said that, perhaps you didn't mean it in such a way but god how are we meant to move on and accept people when people come out with comments like that.
  • Options
    I think the point was that it covered all of the "PC" areas, not that anything was wrong with anyone fitting that criteria.

I kind of hope that your comment was a joke.
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    True. But is it a 'public' building, as such? I'm not agreeing that 'disablism' may be occurring here. They probably have limited space and resources to do some huge open plan building by which a wheelchair, for example, can get perfect access. And then the tasks are sometimes kinda physical ...

Irrelevant, there is no excuse for disability discrimination.
  • Options
    I think the point was that it covered all of the "PC" areas, not that anything was wrong with anyone fitting that criteria.

I kind of hope that your comment was a joke.

My comment?
  • Options
    Yes, the OTT reaction.

I hope it was tongue in cheek because if it wasn't then you clearly missed the point which Kermit was making.
  • Options
    Yes, the OTT reaction.

I hope it was tongue in cheek because if it wasn't then you clearly missed the point which Kermit was making.

I genuinly think that the comment sounded sarcastic and really wasn't appropiate.

It just pisses me of when people make so much emphasis on disabled people. They are no different and really there should be no need for topics such as this to ever come up. Why can't we trust that big brother is being equal and not discriminating agaisnt disabled people and accept it. Surely they couldn't get away with turning them away purely because of physical reasons only, it is a worldwide program and they have to have things sorted. They have had a wide range of people in the house, and that probably is for viewing purposes but we can hardly say big brother discriminate?
  • Options
    ashlee wrote: »
    I genuinly think that the comment sounded sarcastic and really wasn't appropiate.

It just pisses me of when people make so much emphasis on disabled people. They are no different and really there should be no need for topics such as this to ever come up. Why can't we trust that big brother is being equal and not discriminating agaisnt disabled people and accept it. Surely they couldn't get away with turning them away purely because of physical reasons only, it is a worldwide program and they have to have things sorted. They have had a wide range of people in the house, and that probably is for viewing purposes but we can hardly say big brother discriminate?

I think Kermit's point was that he doesn't think there is a big deal, but people always go on about it, so lets just have someone who is in the extreme minority, then nobody can go on about it. Kind of sarcasm in a way.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I think Kermit's point was that he doesn't think there is a big deal, but people always go on about it, so lets just have someone who is in the extreme minority, then nobody can go on about it. Kind of sarcasm in a way.

I just think on such a sensitive subject sarcasm isn't the best way. I suppose we are agreeing on the point, but I just don't like the way he put it over.
  • Options
    ashlee wrote: »
    I just think on such a sensitive subject sarcasm isn't the best way. I suppose we are agreeing on the point, but I just don't like the way he put it over.

That's Kermit in p&d for you :p
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    That's Kermit in p&d for you :p

Guess my noviceness in this part of the site shows then eh.

I get easily wound up, best stay out or a ban will be guarenteed! :razz:
  • Options
    I don't like people who slag disabled people however I'm known to use the word "handicap" a lot and call people it when they do something stupid.

"Look at ye ya handicap." It's something I'm gonna have to get out of the habit in doing.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    I don't like people who slag disabled people however I'm known to use the word "handicap" a lot and call people it when they do something stupid.

"Look at ye ya handicap." It's something I'm gonna have to get out of the habit in doing.

Agreed, I hate slipping back to the awful mentality of a bunch I used to hang around with as a teen and start calling people a "mong" or "tard" if they do something stupid - in the same context as you just used.

It's a pain trying to stop doing it, it's same type of thing as calling people a puff or something ya know - horrible habits to try and break.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Well they choose people based on looks, not brains or anything... They want to make it so teenage girls and boys can drool over it. Big Brother is a meat market, a pretty low brow meat market probably aimed at the same people who read Heat magazine and other voyeuristic publications (no offense to anybody who enjoys it).
    They don't. They pick people based on their personality, and pick people that are most likely to clash in the house.

On the main point, I don't know why they haven't had any physically disabled people on. It would certainly be interesting to other contestents attitudes (I say interesting, I can't actually stand the show). But I reject the suggestion that disabilities are not represented in mainstream television as incidental features of characters. I mean just off the top of my head, The Office series 2 has a character in a wheelchair and explores the main characters attitudes to her, Extras does a similar thing with a variety of disabilities, Family Guy has a well-rounded disabled charcter in Joe, who isn't portrayed as weak or helpless in any way, yet isn't without character flaws, X Factor had a finalist who was in a wheelchair, and I don't believe she was at any time the subject of a sympathy vote. And other people have mentioned other examples. There's always the fine line you've got to tread between having a disabled/black/gay/insert minority group here person in it, but never mentioning it (a token disabled person), and having the entire show about the problems caused by the disability (which suggests that it's the defining feature of the character). I think most programmes seem to do a fairly good job of it.
  • Options
  • Options
    Irrelevant, there is no excuse for disability discrimination.

Did I say it was? Did I say I agree? I was just offering a comment on how their minds may work ... so it's as relevant as your post. :confused:
  • Options
    They don't. They pick people based on their personality, and pick people that are most likely to clash in the house.
    Which is why everybody who enters the Big Brother house happens to be somewhat attractive? :chin:
    On the main point, I don't know why they haven't had any physically disabled people on. It would certainly be interesting to other contestents attitudes (I say interesting, I can't actually stand the show). But I reject the suggestion that disabilities are not represented in mainstream television as incidental features of characters. I mean just off the top of my head, The Office series 2 has a character in a wheelchair and explores the main characters attitudes to her, Extras does a similar thing with a variety of disabilities, Family Guy has a well-rounded disabled charcter in Joe, who isn't portrayed as weak or helpless in any way, yet isn't without character flaws, X Factor had a finalist who was in a wheelchair, and I don't believe she was at any time the subject of a sympathy vote. And other people have mentioned other examples. There's always the fine line you've got to tread between having a disabled/black/gay/insert minority group here person in it, but never mentioning it (a token disabled person), and having the entire show about the problems caused by the disability (which suggests that it's the defining feature of the character). I think most programmes seem to do a fairly good job of it.
    They probably haven't had any physically disabled people on Big Brother because it's about voyeurism, not about making a political statement, not about representing society, not about getting 'quirky' or interesting people
    on it (I mean look at that Glyn guy, he couldn't even cook and wasnt the sharpest tool in the shed). Would Pete have been on there if he was fifteen stone with goofy teeth and a turned up nose? I wouldn't criticise reality TV for having attractive people on it, that's what sells at the end of the day. Not to say that there aren't attractive people with disabilities.

I agree with what you said on the few examples, there was a person in a wheelchair in Holby city too... But they are only very few examples and people with disabilities are still portrayed as sexless in a lot of cases, don't you agree?

Also, what about people who are blind or deaf? People with severe celebral palsy, a regular character with downs?

I remember in some romcom a deaf character appearing and in the L Word (played by a deaf actress), but what's about it.

L Word's deaf character
  • Options
    Putting someone in a wheelchair into Big Brother just because they're disabled smacks of tokenism.

If you want it done right see the original Taggarts, where his wife was disabled and it had no relevance at all to any of the plots.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Which is why everybody who enters the Big Brother house happens to be somewhat attractive? :chin:

i disagree

e.g. jade goody....not exactly a sex pot is she? nor was kinga, george halloway, nick, nadia, elizabeth, bubble....etc

think it's more about personalties

i think at some point there will be someone disabled in the house, but they'll do it in their own time so it doesnt seem like because of public opinion, they've shoved a token "wheelchair" guy in

plus, they got slated for putting pete in, maybe they're worried about the same thing?