Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

veiny things

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ive been taking especial care this year to be good to my body
so far so good

for the first time in my life (im almost 20) i think i will be confident enough to wear shorts in the summer, or skirts without knee high socks etc etc

but... on my thighs i have like little red and purple veins. theyre not the sexiest things in the world.
i was just wondering what these are, what causes them (if its something in particular) and how i can get rid of them.

anybody know??

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Maybe they're the beginning of stretch marks?
    IWishIWas wrote: »
    without knee high socks
    Oh now I feel wanted :(

Are they varicose veins? I don't know if you get them on your thighs or when you are young.

Maybe you could use one of those toning moisturiser things?

I'm talking rubbish probably, I just wanted to quote the socks thing
    I was going to say, they might be varicose veins. The only reason why I say that is because you say they are purple.

You can get them when you are young, yes. My Mum has suffered from them very badly from a very young age.
    I think I will get them - both sides of my family seem to be cursed with them so there really isn't any hope for me at all :(
    They run through my Mum's family and almost everyone has got them in her family - I think my brother is getting them, my Mum has them really bad, her uncle does. My Mum has had so many operations because of them. My Mum's uncle ended up on crutches.

I seem to have taken my Dad's side though as none have appeared as yet *touch wood*
    I reckon they're stretch marks because they start out as red/purpley colour and then fade to white. They're very common on the thighs and it sounds like IwishIwas has lost some weight recently.

Varicose veins on the other hand are pretty horrific; they can go really lumpy and they're actually quite dangerous. Pic of varicose veins here:
    varicoseveins.jpg
    lipsy wrote: »
    I reckon they're stretch marks because they start out as red/purpley colour and then fade to white. They're very common on the thighs and it sounds like IwishIwas has lost some weight recently.

Varicose veins on the other hand are pretty horrific; they can go really lumpy and they're actually quite dangerous. Pic of varicose veins here:
    varicoseveins.jpg

:yes: They do go really lumpy. My Mum has had them really bad.

She's had to have so main veins removed :(

I hope I never get them.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Are they really tiny? It sounds like thread veins, also known as spider veins - you can get them on your face as well. (I can't vouch for the site, it was just the first one I found that had pictures!)

This cosmetic surgery site says
    Certain factors contribute to the development of spider veins, including heredity, pregnancy, hormonal factors, weight gain, occupations or activities that require prolonged sitting or standing, and trauma.

Spider veins usually take on one of three forms:

* They may appear in a spider shape with a group of veins radiating outward from a central point.
    * They may appear in a pattern that resembles branches on a tree
    * They may be in a linear pattern that appear as thin separate lines.
    They could be thread veins? They're quite little, and not as lumpy as varicose veins.

Don't think there's anthing you can do to get rid of them, though, short of surgery.

ETA: beaten to it!
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Apparently they can inject them with a solution that collapses them... I get them on my calves where I cross my legs, can't get out of the habit of it!
    thank god for you thread vein people!

the other ones looked a little bit scary and i didnt wanna get an operation or anything :(

but yeah, i think my boyfriend mentioned them as being called spider veins or something.
    so... do i just kinda have to deal with it?
    i have lots of them at the top of my thighs were no one can see them anyway but i have a few very tiny purple ones that move towards my knees.
    hehe...maybe i should just keep to shorts and skirts that are knee length!!
    lipsy wrote: »

varicoseveins.jpg

i do have some white stretch marks at the tops of my thighs.
    i didnt notice, but my boyfriend said that i had lost a lot of weight after i was ill with a kidney infection and was constantly throwing up for a week (never ever again)
    how can i get rid of those then, if thats what they are?
    You can't get rid of them but you can most certainly help them fade. Bio Oil and Cocoa Butter is really really good in my opinion. I've been using them both for years now and there are some scars that I've had that are almost not visible. Both products are good for stretch marks too.
    You can't get rid of them but you can most certainly help them fade. Bio Oil and Cocoa Butter is really really good in my opinion. I've been using them both for years now and there are some scars that I've had that are almost not visible. Both products are good for stretch marks too.

Ooh! Thank you very much! =)
    x
    Fake tan or this might help cover them up.
    oooh! that looks fancy!
    have you used that before? or know anyone who has?

heheh was trying to imagine myself with a fake tan hahahaha
    lea_uk wrote: »
    Fake tan or this might help cover them up.

:yes: I have some spider veins and you can see nearly every normal vein cuz I'm ghostly, I've never tried the sally hansen stuff but the lightly tinted moisturizer helped too.
    I doubt it would be varacose (sp) veins because as the picture suggests the are big, and mor blue. Id say just little veinioles (sp) that the broken - i have a couple on my legs - its nothing serious.