Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dentists

Ok, I'd getting rather irritated now.

I'm having real problems finding one.

I rang up the hospital because apparently they treat people who don't have a NHS dentist.

I think I need some fillings because I get really bad toothache when I eat certain foods.

Anyways, they told me they don't do fillings and basically, I must have a swollen face, etc to be seen!

They gave me a number for another dentist. I've just rang them up. They told me that they don't do fillings either and what they do is see you if its an emergency and put you on a database and when a NHS dentist becomes available, they will give you a ring. Thats bullshit because I know I'll never be called up.

I've done a search for NHS dentists and there is not ONE in this area. Infact, I can't find them anywhere.

I really need these fillings. I don't want to end up with big holes in my teeth and them to get really manky. I'm suffering from pain so don't understand why I can't get help anywhere.

I can't really afford the NHS prices so I doubt I'll be able to afford private prices. I'm beginning to consider it though. What are the private prices like? Are they much different that the NHS ones?

Meh.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sorry I don't really have anything helpful to say, just wanted to offer some sympathy :(

I hope you find someone to treat you soon and don't have to pay too much.

*hugs*
  • Options
    http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php?t=111593

I have a similar problem. Sucks doesn't it
  • Options
    ashlee wrote: »
    http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php?t=111593

I have a similar problem. Sucks doesn't it

It wouldn't suck as much if you followed the advice.

Follow this link http://www.nhs.uk/England/Dentists/LocalSearch.aspx and search for all the local dentists in your area. If there isn't one taking on fe paying NHS patients there will definately be one seeing emergency patients. You call them up and say you would like emergency treatment... exaggerate the pain if you feel it's necessary.
  • Options
    If you are in pain then you should be getting seen.

Use that link and if that doesn't bring anything up then look up the number of your PCT and get hold of them. You may have to whinge and moan and complain lots and repeat that you are in pain but they have to find you a dentist. They should have Dental Access Centres which see patients who don't have a dentist and need treatment.
  • Options
    Bumblebee - I rang up the place that does emergency treatment in our area and they told me that they don't do fillings which I think is what I need.

I've tried that search engine and nowhere around me is accepting patients.
  • Options
    Are you ringing up and saying I want a filling?

Or are you ringing up and saying I'm in pain and I'd like to see a Dentist?

Dentists don't do fillings because the patients says they think they need one. Dentists treat patients, they examine, they do treatment plans and they carry out the treatment.
  • Options
    I pay £30 a filling with my private dentist. But she's nice and gives me money off cos I have a lot :o
  • Options
    After I turn nineteen I'll have to pay for dental treatment which I think is unfair :grump:

Sorry :p
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Jazza wrote: »
    After I turn nineteen I'll have to pay for dental treatment which I think is unfair :grump:

Sorry :p
    You should ruin all your teeth quickly then, to save money!
  • Options
    Jazza - I thought it was from 18? At least that's what my dentist told me :lol:
  • Options
    I'm 18 and my dental nurse gave me a form to fill in because after I'm 19 I'll have to pay. They subsidise it but don't pay it all which sucks :(

Sounds like you're being bumped :p
  • Options
    the emergency cases will only give you temp fillings and then tell you that you have to see your own one to get them changed in a certin time
  • Options
    Jazza wrote: »
    I'm 18 and my dental nurse gave me a form to fill in because after I'm 19 I'll have to pay. They subsidise it but don't pay it all which sucks :(

Sounds like you're being bumped :p

I'm 19 anyway.

I forgot for a minute :blush:
  • Options
    Oh yeah! :lol:

Must be the old age :razz:
  • Options
    16-19 and in full time education don't pay. After that you pay unless you come into the low income/assests category, which surprisingly few students do.

If you haven't got a regular dentist then Dental Access Service *should* do proper fillings, not just a temporary fix. Emergency Dental Services (who do out of hours stuff) often only do temporary fillings.
  • Options
    Are you ringing up and saying I want a filling?

Or are you ringing up and saying I'm in pain and I'd like to see a Dentist?

Dentists don't do fillings because the patients says they think they need one. Dentists treat patients, they examine, they do treatment plans and they carry out the treatment.

Well, no, not exactly but they are asking me whats wrong.

I just said that I'm having really sharp pains and bad toothache when I eat particular foods and I have a inkling that I may need fillings.

They then told me that they don't do fillings.
  • Options
    Dentists that don't do fillings? :o

So not moving to the UK!

Good luck finding somebody. Maybe you should exclude the part where you think you need a filling if you call someplace else? They'll hardly chuck you out without giving you some suggestions if you do need a filling and they can't do it.
  • Options
    TammyGTammyG Posts: 15 Settling in
    Just to clear up the confusion about when dental treatment is free and when you have to start paying for it, check out our article on NHS dental treatment. This also explains what you can get on the NHS and how to register with your local NHS dentist. :)
  • Options
    You need to stop telling them what you think needs doing, because that makes it sound like you're after routine Dentistry rather than urgent treatment.

Don't play down the pain at all, make the point that it's affecting your eating etc.
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    It wouldn't suck as much if you followed the advice.

Follow this link http://www.nhs.uk/England/Dentists/LocalSearch.aspx and search for all the local dentists in your area. If there isn't one taking on fe paying NHS patients there will definately be one seeing emergency patients. You call them up and say you would like emergency treatment... exaggerate the pain if you feel it's necessary.

I am in no pain and as far as I can tell need no work done, just want to register so it is there when I need to so I don't have to go through the trouble poor SWQ is going through. Just being prepared.
  • Options
    ashlee wrote: »
    I am in no pain and as far as I can tell need no work done, just want to register so it is there when I need to so I don't have to go through the trouble poor SWQ is going through. Just being prepared.

The second paragraph wasn't aimed at you.
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    The second paragraph wasn't aimed at you.

ahh ok! :)