Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Snow dilemma

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
six of us are mean to be travelling to milton keynes to see Fame tonight, about 40 mins away from me. Two of us are adament to going and think it will be safe if you drive safe. The other two of us know that it probs will be really icy and are probably not going to go. I really want to got though! do you think it will be safe enough?
Grrr its annoyed me, my other friends can't see how driving safely doesn't mean you wont have a crash!

Comments

• Options
    Well most main roads will have been salted/grited. Theres probably a bit more of a chance having an accident as loads of people have no idea how to drive in the snow. But i wouldn't say it was that much greater than any other day.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    You should be OK as main routes will have been gritted and treated - the main rule of course is to drive safely or take public transport if it is available.
  • Options
    But public transport is so shit and unreliable in this or any weather. You are probably best driving but take your take there and back and give yourself plenty of time.
  • Options
    There is a severe weather warning today and motorists are being advised not to travel unless absolutely necessary. I ride a scooter and never use it when there is snow or ice. I walked to work today.

Someone in my office already crashed into someone else on their way to work today.
  • Options
    I've got a driving lesson in a bit :/
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I've got a driving lesson in a bit :/

Now there is learning to drive in real weather conditions!
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    ashlee wrote: »
    But public transport is so shit and unreliable in this or any weather. You are probably best driving but take your take there and back and give yourself plenty of time.
    Not really true. For example the Railways will happily carry on in 6 inches of snow, not much else will - including the roads.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Not really true. For example the Railways will happily carry on in 6 inches of snow, not much else will - including the roads.

The trains round here cancel at a bit of hard rain, never mind snow. Or if they arent cancelled then big big big delays are expected.
  • Options
    I live (relatively) near Milton Keynes... I reckon you'll be fine as long as you leave plenty of time so you can take extra care.
  • Options
    The snow has gone up here now!

Down south though it might be more problematic.

The problems would be ice, and going off the major roads. The major roads should be well gritted, but outside of that you could have trouble progressing. And then there's ice, which is difficult to do much about.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote: »
    I ride a scooter and never use it when there is snow or ice. I walked to work today.

Wuss. I've been out on my motorbike today, on loads of roads - treated or not, it's all good :).

Getting power down in thick snow isn't good. It may have a wide rear tyre, but the contact area isn't all that big. Imagine putting 100bhp through a pushbike tyre and it'll be a similar contact area :).
  • Options
    Wuss. I've been out on my motorbike today, on loads of roads - treated or not, it's all good :).

Getting power down in thick snow isn't good. It may have a wide rear tyre, but the contact area isn't all that big. Imagine putting 100bhp through a pushbike tyre and it'll be a similar contact area :).

I wouldn't advise people to ride in snow or icy conditions!! I know someone from a lj community who rode to work fine because it wasn't too bad, but then the roads froze and he slipped off on the way home. Couldn't even pick the bike up it was that slippy!!
  • Options
    I didn't advise anyone to - I called them a wuss for not doing it, because I'm a big macho-man and I did it ;).

Virtually all main-roads are absolutely fine. I was doing triple-figures earlier. But the smaller roads - housing estates, car parks, basically anything left untreated is pretty much a nightmare.

What narks me is these people who moan about all the snow, then go out and attempt to drive - having not checked their tyre pressures for the last 3 months, not removing the snow from their headlamps, taillights, registration plates, or windows properly. It doesn't take that long to do... and it's amazing how much safer the roads are when people take 2 minutes to ensure they can see as much as possible...
  • Options
    + the 20 minutes spent washing the bike when you get home so it doesn't rust overnight from the salt :p

Although tbf, I was never bothered with mine. I don't think I checked the tyre pressures more than a quick squeeze sometimes. We live a little and learn a little though. That's why I've got two bikes SORNd, without MOT sat in the garage. Although one runs fine, just needs a bit of a run, the other doesn't even turn over :( starter just clicks *cry*

Sorry, going off on one again :p
  • Options
    I squeeze mine each time I get on it - literally. And check my pressures pretty much each time I fill up with fuel. Haven't washed it in months, there's little point at this time of year. Not much to rust, really - every nut I touch goes back on with copper-slip or silicone-grease :).
  • Options
    I squeeze mine each time I get on it - literally.
    I bet you're a tyre kicker when it comes to checking out cars aren't you too? :rolleyes: :D
  • Options
    Nah. Tyre pressures aren't so important on a car - 3psi difference on a bike can make a huge difference to the handling, as you are required to tilt on the tyres. Lower pressures make the bike slower to tip :).

Though yeah, when I had a car, I pushed the sidewall at least once per week to ensure I wasn't losing huge amounts of air. I'm a bit anal when it comes to vehicles :).