Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Why Is Steve Mclaren England Manager

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Why??
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    God only knows.
  • Options
    Because the FA still think it's 1953 and as long as they've got a yes man who won't ruffle any feathers, then everything is right in the world. God forbid that they get a manager who could knock the players into shape, actually pick a team on form, and stop playing people out of position just to accomodate players that shouldn't be there. No, no, no...!
  • Options
    I think my dad said it right tonight: "Fucken hell, anybody can beat England now."
  • Options
    Perhaps it's now time to recognise Sven Goran Eriksson as a genius who actually worked wonders with a limited quality squad...

:p
  • Options
    Because some people think that finishing in the top half of the premier league once with a free-spending middlebrough, and getting spanked in a UEFA Cup final counts as an achievement.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Perhaps it's now time to recognise Sven Goran Eriksson as a genius who actually worked wonders with a limited quality squad...
    Hehe, I don't doubt that certain England fans seem to think their team is a lot better than it actually is. But the fact is that like any other top class side, England have a world class spine to their team, and a few very decent players to make up a good squad. But from what I can see, Mark Hughes could get Wales to be more attractive going forward than England were under Sven or McLaren. We constantly see players like Carrick, Lampard and Gerrard pull the strings for their clubs going forward, yet only Wayne Rooney and Joe Cole seem to be capable of replicating that for England. That can only be down to the management.
  • Options
    Or down to the fact that Lampard and Gerrard do not fit into the same team.

We have it arse about face over here, pick the best players and then look for a formation. Wrong. Pick a formation and then look for the best players in those positions. Fuck the media scum, do what you think is right...

As for McLaren, best of a bad bunch. Again media clamour for an Enlgishman seems to have outweighed the need for someone who can actually do the job.
  • Options
    Or down to the fact that Lampard and Gerrard do not fit into the same team.
    Well that's down to management then, for picking them.
    We have it arse about face over here, pick the best players and then look for a formation. Wrong. Pick a formation and then look for the best players in those positions. Fuck the media scum, do what you think is right...
    Well you've still got to pick a system based on the strengths of your best players, but not try to fit all of them into it, even if there's someone who might not be as good a player, but would fit the system better. I hate all this "we've got to be able to play different systems to suit different opponents" bollocks. I mean you've got to be able to adapt tactically, but in the main, Brazil were the best team in the world by playing their chosen style better than anyone else in the world. Same with France. Same with Italy. I think you're doing your own players a disservice to react to opponents rather than imposing your own style on the game.

The only thing I can say positive about McLaren over Sven, is that at least when he gives new players a chance, he plays them in their proper positions. I was sick of Sven eventually picking someone that everyone's been calling for for months, and then playing them out of position, and wondering why they were shit (Andy Johnson anyone?). I thought Barton showed some good touches in his 10 minutes, and whilst Barry didn't set the world alight, the team looked more balanced with him in it. I would've liked to have seen him with a left-footed fullback to combine with, because Phil Neville offered very little going forward (as you'd expect of a right footer on the left).

ETA: Oh and as for the Englishman argument, whilst personally, I wasn't bothered about the nationality of the coach, I would've personally preferred a coach that has experience in English football, rather than foreign football, because I think this would make him better able to do his job (*cough* Wenger *cough*).
  • Options
    It goes to show that I was right all along about Eriksson- that he did a very very good job for England.

McLaren is in a job because The Sun wanted an Englishman. We've got an Englishman. We're now regularly losing. McLaren was the best Englishman available, which is why an English manager has not won the English league title since 1992 (and that was Howard Wilkinson!). The man who should have been manager is now at Aston Villa.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    It goes to show that I was right all along about Eriksson- that he did a very very good job for England.
    You've gotta be fucking kidding right? McLaren lost to Spain. Sven lost to Spain. McLaren drew against Macedonia. Sven drew against Macedonia. McLaren lost to Croatia. Sven lost to Northern Ireland for fucks sake! I think McLaren is shit, but so is Sven. He was shown up time and again whenever we faced quality opponents in competitive matches. England aren't as good as everyone thinks. But the individual players we have in our squad are. England should be capable of competing with the best in the world. Instead, they can't handle a ten man Brazil team, and fail to create anything worthwhile against a Portugal side that barely turned up. McLaren doesn't seem any better either.
  • Options

McLaren is in a job because The Sun wanted an Englishman. We've got an Englishman. We're now regularly losing. McLaren was the best Englishman available, which is why an English manager has not won the English league title since 1992 (and that was Howard Wilkinson!). The man who should have been manager is now at Aston Villa.

No you were wrong about Sven.

But you are right about Martin O'Neill!! 100%!
  • Options
    Sven lost two competitive games in five years, won as group winners all the qualifying groups we competed in, and took us to two World Cup quarter-finals and a Euro quarter-final. The Northern Ireland result wasn't good, but I think Spain proved that NI are better than people give them credit for.

We were beaten by a better team in Japan, a team that went on to win the title, and in the other two we lost on a penalty shootout after a draw. Portugal didn't beat us, folks. Twice we were knocked out by the finalists. Most sensible football people consider England v Brazil to be the World Cup final of 2002. Brazil were down to ten men, but they were in conditions that suited them and they kept the ball for 30 minutes.

I think Sven was a very good manager, and I think time will show just how good he was. You never know what you've got until its gone.

You compare results, but we only drew with Macedonia under Sven because of two goalkeeping howlers. Under McLaren we didn't even look like beating them. And Munich trumps everything.
  • Options
    I go on what I saw on the pitch, and all I remember was dismal performances resulting in 1-0 or 2-0 wins, or draws against poor opposition, post-match comments about our "professional" performance, and then absolute bullshit when it actually mattered (with everyone with eyes predicting it long before the match). I mean I couldn't give a shit about us getting a shitty 1-0 against azerbaijan if I was confident we could turn it on when it really mattered, and we never did under Sven. Again, you can point out that Brazil went on to win it, and Portugal didn't really beat us, but going on what I saw on that pitch, we were never even in danger of winning anything. And I don't care how good Brazil are, 11 men should always dominate the match against 10, especially when both teams are supposedly at a similar level. If we'd really give it a go (against a Portugal who offered nothing in 2006 as well) and they'd defended defiantly and shut us out for the entire game, I would agree with you, but we never did under Sven. 2002 will always be the one that gets me. That World Cup was up for the taking. Every decent team in the world decided not to show up to that one. But anyway, we've been over this a million times. Imo, Sven was shit, you seem to think he was great. I don't think Steve McLaren's performance will have any bearing on it, because I think he's shit too.

But I'm hearing all the same shit again. Players sounding too afraid to criticise the performance, and talking about the positives we can take from the game. No-one would even admit that the performance wasn't up to scratch yesterday.
  • Options
    The performance yesterday was bollocks, and the performances have got noticably worse since McLaren took over. Winning the League Cup doesn't make you an international-standard manager.

In 2002 Brazil were a better side, and the heat did make a lot of difference in their favour. It's hard to play a high-tempo pressing game in 98% humidity and 35 degree heat, and if a team of Brazil's calibre has the ball they're not going to give it away cheaply. If it had been an evening game, as against Argentina, we'd have probably beaten them. That game was the final anyway- if we'd have had Germany's draw they'd have given Sven medal after medal, regardless of result. In 2006 we were down to 10 men for over an hour, we did well to get it to penalties really.

The big problem in this country is that expectations are unrealistic, and always have been. Reaching the last eight of three consecutive tournaments is a big achievement for any nation, and it's an achievement that goes beyond anything England have ever done in the past. We reached the semis in 1990 because of a flukey goal by Platt, we didn't qualify for the 94 world cup, we only got to the semis in 1996 because of a very dubious linesman against Spain, we reached the last 16 in 1998, and we got knocked out in the group stage in 2000, after being placed in the weakest group.

I don't consider getting to the last eight of three consecutive tournaments, losing two competitive games, beating Argentina twice and beating Germany 5-1 on their own patch to be a particularly shoddy record.
  • Options
    I don't consider getting to the last eight of three consecutive tournaments, losing two competitive games, beating Argentina twice and beating Germany 5-1 on their own patch to be a particularly shoddy record.

And I don't consider it to be an achievement.
  • Options
    What is an achievement in your eyes then? Winning something? There's another 10 teams who could feasibly win the tournament.

It's why I think most England fans are idiots. And now, because of them, we've got an idiot manager too. Huzzah!
  • Options
    You talk about beating Germany and Argentina and then drawing against less than mediocre opposition...??!!!
    Was England consistent under Sven? NO!
    Were the players consistent under Sven? NO!
    Does England have high expectations of it's players? YES!
    Why? Coz they get paid £100000 a week, surely they must be brilliant!
    A good manager will get the best out of his players and sometimes make a mediocre team into a good one (Greece in Euro 2004).
    England haven't really been in a hard qualifying group for a long time.
    Statistics can lie.
    Are you really saying that Sven is worth the £24 million he got for 6 years of not winning anything?
  • Options
    What is an achievement in your eyes then? Winning something? There's another 10 teams who could feasibly win the tournament.
    Of course winning something. There are plenty of teams that could win a tournament, that's why we've got to be better than them. No-one expects England to win, but we do expect that if we do get knocked out, it's because we've been outplayed by superior opposition, or it's been a tightly contested game that we lost on penalties or because of a single good goal. You can't plan for your opponents being brilliant, but you can plan for your own team being shit. And frankly, England have been knocked out of three tournaments because they didn't play well enough to capitalise on their opponents not being as good as expected. Portugal were shit twice, especially most recently, and Brazil had thier best player sent off for the majority of the second half. And England failed to make their opponents earn their victory on each occassion.
  • Options
    I don't think he was worth the pay packet, and I don't think England's footballers are either. But wages aren't good enough to show that they are world-class- Lucas Neill is getting paid sixty grand a week, for goodness sake.

I think that winning qualifying groups and consistently reaching the last stages of tournaments shows a lot of consistency. Sven only lost two competitve games in his five years- Keegan lost more games than that in one tournament.

But we're not going to agree, because unrealistic expectations in this country mean that anything less than winning every game 6-0 is a failure. There are ten teams in any tournament that could feasibly win, expecting us to win is unrealistic- there are better teams than England. England were one of them but now I doubt we'll even qualify.

I think we must have been watching different games in 2002 and 2006. Conditions play a huge part, as in 2002, and using your own logic taking Portugal to penalties after playing an hour with 10 men after seeing our best striker get sent off was a big achievement.
  • Options
    and using your own logic taking Portugal to penalties after playing an hour with 10 men after seeing our best striker get sent off was a big achievement.

Not really. In both cases, it was down to the team with 11 men failing to capitalise on their advantage, rather than any great heroic effort by the 10men.

But anyway, blah blah blah, whatever, it's all in the past now.

So is England's problem a lack of technical ability all round? I mean I know that we have some technically gifted players, like Joe Cole, Rooney, Carrick, Owen and the like, but with other countries like Spain, Portugal, Brazil, Argentina and Holland, it seems to be a given, rather than another quality a player might have. Whilst England can put some decent attacking moves together, they don't seem to find it as easy to just pass it about, it always seems to be an effort. Is that due to a lack of technical ability like everyone says, or a lack of movement, a lack of teamwork?
  • Options
    I think its a lack of teamwork, to be honest, and an obsession with big name players rather than the players that will do the job. Witness England fans abuse of Hargreaves because he wasn't a big Premiership name (forgetting all his German medals, but hey). I think managers get sucked into picking the names rather than the best, and yes, Sven did fall into that with his persisting with Owen and Beckham when both were clearly not fit.

Whilst a Greek manager can pick a side for tactics, if an England manager dropped Rooney or Lampard because of tactics he'd be slaughtered unless he won every game 6-0. Lampard and Gerrard clearly can't play in the same team, but its a braver manager than me that tells Fat Frank that he's dropped.
  • Options
    Then the whole thing, the FA, National football is all a big pile of nothing and a theatre play. Why should we bother!

To be honest, I would rather Beckham played yesterday than Lampard, at least Becks has some heart when he plays for his country!
  • Options
    Well that's another reason why I don't like McLaren, he was too busy in scoring political points with Beckham to bother picking a decent side.

He was a cretin at Boro and he's a cretin now.
  • Options
    I loved how he dropped Beckham to show that he's not afraid of making big decisions, yet still doesn't have the balls to pick between Lampard and Gerrard. Both play well for England when the other one isn't on the park. It's not rocket science.
  • Options
    One things for sure, Beckham would've been better than SWP last night. How many times did he give the ball away? I don't support England but I was screaming at the TV in frustration at watching him fuck up over and over again. And then in the studio at half time the clueless wankers had the audacity to praise him. Wonder if it had anything to do with his daddy sitting there? I think he managed to get a ball off once, and even then it was a fluke.

Lampard wasn't great. Carrick was poor. Crouch just gives away too many frees, though admittedly some decisions against him were poor. Dyer had a mixed bag. Gerrard shouldn't have been withdrawn. The only real positives were Foster and possibly Barton.

McClaren is an absolute shite bag. He will NEVER win you anything. You can just forsee it now, quarter finals Euro 2008, a talent packed England side getting done by a relatively poor side while McClaren looks on showing no emotion, devoid of any ideas. That's what's going to happen. It is the toughest job in football, but it's not made any easier when the xenophobic press force someone so drastically under-qualified in.
  • Options
    Do mclarens comments to the press piss anyone else off?

he ALWAYS says stuff like ahh the attitude was there but we just lacked that final pass.... or we just need that extra bit of quality and i ll tell the players this. FUCK OFF lol, stop saying crap and start doing it!

it always looks like hes trying to get people off his back... i really dont think he has the integrity to handle the pressure of a job like this :/
  • Options
    Gutless! nuff said but when you all gonna learn that 'Engerland' have no god given right to win games on player rep! The EPL is all hype anyway with a bunch of overpaid nancy boys! (not all english)
  • Options
    EPL.... Remember the first time I went to NYC and watched Newcastle - Liverpool in a pub on 46th and 7th and the TV had the EPL logo on the coverage.

No country has the right to win games on players reps.
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    You can just forsee it now, quarter finals Euro 2008,

For a non-England fan you're giving more a chance than most supporters at the moment :)
  • Options
    Has it occured to anyone it could be the player and NOT the manager?