Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Canadian Immigration Policy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6316151.stm

Some interesting quotes -
Don't stone women to death, burn them or circumcise them, immigrants wishing to live in the town of Herouxville in Quebec, Canada, have been told
We wish to inform these new arrivals that the way of life which they abandoned when they left their countries of origin cannot be recreated here,
We consider it completely outside norms to... kill women by stoning them in public, burning them alive, burning them with acid, circumcising them etc.

Pretty crazy to read - what do you think?

Comments

• Options
    makes sense to me...
  • Options
    makes sense to me...

I'd second that. Vive le Quebec!

Why shouldn't Quebecois make it clear that barbaric practices acceptable in many Islamic cultures are not acceptable in Quebec?
  • Options
    Why shouldn't Quebecois make it clear that barbaric practices acceptable in many Islamic cultures are not acceptable in Quebec?

That's a load of bollocks. You really think immigrants are going to bring those sort of beliefs with them when they come to a new country?

Anyway, I sort of see their point, "When in Rome" and all that crap but you can't deny immigrants practicing some of their customs when they arrive. They have the right as much as we do.
  • Options
    When in Rome do as the Romans do. When at Woodstock eat tofu and don't wear deodorant. And when in Canada don't sew women’s vaginas shut.
  • Options
    I'd second that. Vive le Quebec!

I wonder if you would be as jubilant if it were Christian immigrants and they were warned not to sell their daughters to slavery, kill people who work on the Sabbath or start bombing abortion clinics.

Would you?
  • Options
    I'd be quite happy.

It's there to make things clear for anyone that might consider it, and doesn't affect me because whilst being RC I don't engage in any of those practises.
  • Options
    Its perfectly acceptable to inform new arrivals to a country that laws, the way of life in the society they have moved to and social norms are different: in fact I would say it is a duty in order to make sure they integrate smoothly and/or don't break the law.

However, this is a little bit of a non-story really (although interesting). Also the title of the thread is misleading: this isn't Canadian immigration policy its unofficial guidelines from one a small yokel town who don't know what to expect from immigrants. It says in the article "Herouxville has one immigrant family in its 1,300 population" so its pretty obvious that they've never actually experienced any of the horrors that they mention (unless that immigrant family was the Mansons or something).

Apparently Canada has had a pretty liberal immigration policy, especially towards muslims. In fact on right-wing American forums I follow sometimes its regularly referred to as "Canuckistan"
  • Options
    its not what they say, but the way theyre assuming that all muslims are gonna do those things.
  • Options
    its not what they say, but the way theyre assuming that all muslims are gonna do those things.
    Precisely.

In the name of fairness they should be issuing such warnings to people of all religious denominations- or none.
  • Options
    The Quebecois are notorious for being rather, erm, insular. I think its funny. Never forget that they are descended from the French ;)
  • Options
    exactement!

They should have entitled it "listen up all you bloody foreigners"
  • Options
    At least they didn't print it in French, like they do with everything else...

Rather distasteful, but hey ho. I don't think its such a bad thing- many Islamic communities do have serious issues with women's rights, especially those Muslims from mid-Africa.
  • Options
    écoutez bandes d'étrangers!!!!

merde putain!
  • Options
    That story made me smile! A community rightly not bothering to tip-toe round an issue and outlining a perfectly sensible set of demands to newcomers to the area.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    At least they didn't print it in French, like they do with everything else...

Rather distasteful, but hey ho. I don't think its such a bad thing- many Islamic communities do have serious issues with women's rights, especially those Muslims from mid-Africa.

Ironically, I imagine that that is one of the reasons that many muslims might want to move to Canada. I don't see the need for this really. As long as they're informed of all of the major laws, there's no need to mention specific acts based on a few extreme examples from throughout the world. I think it's more than a bit patronising tbh.