Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Outlook 2003 : Filtering

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am using Outlook 2003 at work and I am getting so many spam mails (I know that there are spam filter settings but its not catching everything and the work spam filter is also not working at the moment). :(

In the message 'Rules and Alerts' settings, I don't know if I can do the following :

1) Check the message is from '<mydomain>.com'

If 'yes', move to Inbox

2) If 'No', move to 'another folder'

Basically, I want the filter to only allow internal mails to arrive in my Inbox.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    The best I can think of at the moment is in Outlook, first create a folder where you want your internal emails to go (e.g. Not Spam, or Internal Emails) then create the rule,

1. Go to the Tools menu
    2. Click on Rules and Alerts
    3. New rule
    4. Click next
    5. Uncheck 'people or distribution list'
    6. Find and check 'with specific words in the senders address'
    7. In the step 2 section at the bottom, click on specific words and change it to your domain
    8. Then change specified to the folder you want.

I'm not sure if you can do negative rules (i.e. if something is not from mydomain then ...). Everything else will end up in your inbox.
  • Options
    Thanks Saeed. The method you propose looks as though it ought to work as an alternative. But my Rules don't seem to be applying themselves ... :banghead:
  • Options
    Jamie LJamie L Posts: 129 The Mix Convert
    The other option is to create two rules... one for all mail being sent to Junk Folders, and the second to specify anything from this domain - move to Inbox and stop processing further rules. You would just need to ensure that the second rule is the first one in the list.

J
  • Options
    Jamie L wrote: »
    The other option is to create two rules... one for all mail being sent to Junk Folders, and the second to specify anything from this domain - move to Inbox and stop processing further rules. You would just need to ensure that the second rule is the first one in the list.

J

Ha! You and Saeed are great! Thanks. I used Saeed's format but needed the 'stop processing rules' ticked too! Thanks guys! :)
  • Options
    Oh I found another way :

Method:

1.On the Tools menu click Options
    2. On the Preferences tab click Junk Email
    3. On the Options tab select Safe Lists Only
    4. In the Safe Lists tab, click Add
    5. Enter the domain you want to see in your inbox eg yahoo.com. Repeat this step to add all the domains you want eg hotmail.com, or any specific emails that are not already in your Contacts
    6. Click Apply

This is an alternative solution which keeps your domain (plus any other domains you want and Contacts) in your Inbox, and moves everything else to "Junk E-mail".