Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Iraq friendly fire video causes a storm

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Mistakes happen yes, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't go unquestioned, especially when it's a series of mistakes like this.

It could just have easilly been civillians.

Look what happened to Terry Lloyd.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    What's worse is people second guessing events like this.

They happen in war.

The US has had a recorded history of DELIBERATLEY attacking Canadian and British and other people in this recent Gulf war. Hell, they did it in WW2, they are going to carry on even now it seems.

We can prety much say, having seen what has been let out, that it most likley was deliberate. Isn't the first time A10's have gone for British convoys on purpose.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    The US has had a recorded history of DELIBERATLEY attacking Canadian and British and other people in this recent Gulf war. Hell, they did it in WW2, they are going to carry on even now it seems.

We can prety much say, having seen what has been let out, that it most likley was deliberate. Isn't the first time A10's have gone for British convoys on purpose.

Why the hell would they do that?

Or are you just being a bit dim? No offense, but deliberately attacking an allied convoy? What next, sending a B2 after the whitehouse?
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Why the hell would they do that?

Or are you just being a bit dim? No offense, but deliberately attacking an allied convoy? What next, sending a B2 after the whitehouse?

You know what he means. Accidentally deliberately doing something they promised they definately probably wouldn't do.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    You know what he means. Accidentally deliberately doing something they promised they definately probably wouldn't do.

:confused: What?
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    :confused: What?

I was trying to be confusing.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    I was trying to be confusing.

You've confused me anyway :p
  • Options
    Makoto wrote: »
    Fast moving or not, those Brits had orange panels to signal that they were FRIENDLY. The pilots thought the panels were rockets, they should of taken a better look. Our boys even let off red smoke which means their friendlies, yet the A10 Thunderbolt pilots still attacked again. They never had clearance to engage and they were not 100% sure they were Iraqi, they again questioned it after the first hit.

Want the tape?

I've read it thanks. The pilots requested confirmation that there were no friendlies. This was confirmed. They then misidentified the scimitars as Iraq. Guess what - it happens. Its nothing to do with poor training or negligence, they were on free fire so they didn't need to request clearance to engage - that's not how it works. They had been told there were no friendly troops in the area and identified the vehicles wrongly - end off.

The smoke was only released after the first strike and was only seen after the second, at the same time as ground control informed them that there were friendlies in the area.

You and others seem to think soldiers and aircrew are some sort of superheroes - calm, impervious to fear and mistakes, rather than human beings trying to do a job in which other people are trying to do nasty things to them.
  • Options

Do you want to back any of that up? Because if they attacked British soldiers knowing they were British soldiers that would be considered an act of war.
  • Options
    In incidents like this? You bet.

Do you want an inquiry into every single blue-on-blue?

There's always an enquiey after a blue on blue. However, it recognises that in stressful situations mistakes will be made.
  • Options
    There should be an assumption that every target is friendly or non threatening (i.e Iraqi civvies) until positively identified as a threat.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    It's a warzone.
  • Options
    It's a warzone.

So were many places in Lebanon a while back, and when the IDF blew up building in Lenanese communities and killed innocent civillians was that acceptable?

It not the fact it's a British Serviceman that bothers me. It's the idea that the Ynaks will shoot at things they havn't yet ID'd. And in areas where there are large amounts of civillians is that acceptable. Is it fuck.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Surely the incompetence charge here isn't against the pilots but against the people providing them information.

Who were actually in the convoy which was attacked, something worth noting.
  • Options
    The US has had a recorded history of DELIBERATLEY attacking Canadian and British and other people in this recent Gulf war.

Sorry but that is just bollocks.
  • Options
    Yeah I've got to agree, misconduct is one thing, but it's simply makes absolutely zero sense for the Americans to kill people on their side deliberately. Mistakes, possibly criminal negligence, which ever way you fall on it, but looking at the transcript it is simply untrue that they knew that was an ally and were under orders to attack it.
  • Options
    These things happen...

Lets think back to world war 1, when artillery strikes and infantry charges weren't coordinated in real time, they were planned in advance. There are documented occurences when an artillery bombardment killing their own infantry because their watches were out of sync.

Someone probably got bollocked for it, but hey, it's war. Now in the 21st century even one friendly fire event makes the front page tabloids, and it must be dissected completely.

I tell you now, even in the 22nd century, if wars are fought, people will die, and not necessarily from enemy fire.
  • Options
    In Roman times it wasn't unknown for legionnaires to be killed accidently by sword strikes from those behind them.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    There's no training in the world for being told that there are no allied forces in the area, and then- just after you've released the bombs- being told that actually, there are. They did everything by the book, and you can hear the horror in their voices.
    I'm not exactly laying all the blame the pilots am I? I am mainly and mostly blaming those who failed to give them adequate training.

Wars are not run by clockwork. Just because someone isn't supposed to be there it doesn't mean they won't be.

The British armoured trucks look different from the Iraqis and have markings that identify them as allies, and the surviving troops lit a colour coded flare that told the Americans they were Allies. According to the reports the pilots received no training on Allied vehicle recognition (something that has been common and basic training for decades) and failed to picked up on the other two signs, most probably because they weren't made aware of them properly.

If that's not a fuck up caused by negiglence I don't know what is.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Yeah I've got to agree, misconduct is one thing, but it's simply makes absolutely zero sense for the Americans to kill people on their side deliberately.

I think thats broadly true, and true in this case. I don't think there is any evidence for American soldiers deliberately killing British/Canadian soldiers and I wouldn't see any logic behind the claim anyway (unless you think Americans are indiscriminately bloodthirsty)...but there can be exceptions.

It also depends on what one means by "on their side." For instance there are serious questions over Terry Lloyd's death and the US soldiers who killed him. Was he "on their side" (on "our" side?) And wars - especially this war - are confusing places, the distinction between who is an is not "on our side" isn't that clear anymore. Complicated sectarian political movements backed up by armed militias, journalists, aid workers, "aid workers," civilians working for multinationals, diplomats, intelligence agents, hitmen, and don't forget the hundreds of thousands of hired mercenaries of many different nationalities currently working/fighting in Iraq.
  • Options
    Oh fuck yeah, I didn't mean to imply anything wider than soldiers within a specific military coalition.
  • Options
    In Roman times it wasn't unknown for legionnaires to be killed accidently by sword strikes from those behind them.
    Friendly stab?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I'm not exactly laying all the blame the pilots am I? I am mainly and mostly blaming those who failed to give them adequate training.

Wars are not run by clockwork. Just because someone isn't supposed to be there it doesn't mean they won't be.

The British armoured trucks look different from the Iraqis and have markings that identify them as allies, and the surviving troops lit a colour coded flare that told the Americans they were Allies. According to the reports the pilots received no training on Allied vehicle recognition (something that has been common and basic training for decades) and failed to picked up on the other two signs, most probably because they weren't made aware of them properly.

If that's not a fuck up caused by negiglence I don't know what is.

Do you have a source for that, or are you just going on what you've heard? Have they even carried out an inquiry yet?
  • Options
    It was reported on BBC News 24. I'll try to find some printed or web-published confirmation.
  • Options
    The lead pilot clearly asks the command whether there are any friendlies "this far up north"? The Command replies with absolute certainty that in fact there are no friendlies this far up north. So, who is to blame here?
    Possibly lack of intelligence and communication between the allied forces.
    Both the convoy and the US pilots have radios, why was there no attempt of communication between them? There are surely procedures for that...

Basically, I agree there was a series of mistakes here, but the pilots are not to blame.
    Secondly, you can't just say these things happen in wars and forget about it.... these things can be avoided in wars and there are procedures to do just that.

The cover up is no new thing, how many cover ups are there that we don't know about???!!
  • Options
    I take issue with the orange markings as well. If it is true that they actually resemble Iraqi missiles from the air, that would be a monumental fuck up by those in charge of designing said markers. Though I'd be interested to know if other pilots agreed with that statement, or simply these pilots weren't familiar with the markings in the first place. Weren't they supposed to be National Guards who were shipped to Iraq and put on a plane wih minimal training and briefings?
  • Options
    The rumour that the US doesn't train its crews in friendly unit air recognition has been repeated for as long as I remember (it was certainly doing the rounds in 1991), but after being in a room with some USAF officers who seemed quite adept at identifying which of the armour was NATO and which was Serb I'm unconvinced that its true.

That said its kind of irrelevant. This wasn't that the crew mistook a scimitar for a BMP, but that they mistook it for a flatbed truck. If you identify something as sparrow and it turns out that its a ferret its not a problem with bird recognition skills.

On another day one of the pilots would have correctly identified them or the fact that British forces were in the area would have been communicated quicker. It wasn't, because nothing runs like clockwork and sometimes mistakes are made, which if people weren't tired, stressed, high on adrenaline etc, etc wouldn't be made. But it was Iraq during a war, not Piccadilly circus in rsuh hour.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Sorry but that is just bollocks.

I am afraid it is not.

An American tank column began firing on British soldiers. The commander soon found out what was going on, and ordered the units to cease firing. One of the tanks continued firing even so, even when the order was issued twice. He did eventually cease firing. This story has been repated - Americans begin attacking, find out it's Brits or Canadians, order given, a few cowboys think it's a good game to carry on firing.

And this isn't the first time the A10's have done runs on British units. Hell, between the huge Union Jacks draped on tank roofs during the invasion, and the fact they show up as ORANGE and thereby FRIENDLY you'd think it might be obvious.

So, I say deliberate. If I was a British commander, I'd tell our boys fuck this, return fire next time they do it.
  • Options
    Evidence?

That is a serious accusation.
  • Options
    I am afraid it is not.

An American tank column began firing on British soldiers. The commander soon found out what was going on, and ordered the units to cease firing. One of the tanks continued firing even so, even when the order was issued twice. He did eventually cease firing. This story has been repated - Americans begin attacking, find out it's Brits or Canadians, order given, a few cowboys think it's a good game to carry on firing.

And this isn't the first time the A10's have done runs on British units. Hell, between the huge Union Jacks draped on tank roofs during the invasion, and the fact they show up as ORANGE and thereby FRIENDLY you'd think it might be obvious.

So, I say deliberate. If I was a British commander, I'd tell our boys fuck this, return fire next time they do it.

Do you have a source for this? Sounds like gossip to me (my platoon were convinced that Spetznaz was helping the Serbs at one point and stories still appear all the time about USMC snipers in the Falklands - either with the Brits or Argentinians depending on the teller).

There is an example of a US pilot continuing on an attack run killing some Canadians after being told to 'hold fire'. Whilst in that case there seems to be to be justified criticism of the pilot (and possiby command, control and communications) no-one has seriously alleged that he deliberately attacked
    Canadians knowing them to be Canadians.

Now it may be 'fog of war' that orders to stop firing aren't heard or the firer believes that he is acting in self-defence (Major Schmidt's defence), but that's a different matter.

And tbh if you gave an order for me to open fire on friendly units not only are you possibly facing a charge of murder, you're actually going to prolong the friendly firing. If you see yourself being fired back on, its going to be a lot tougher to a)work out whether it is friednly fire or whether you've bumped an unknown enemy force and b) convince the poor bastards on the ground of that fact.