Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Moving back home

PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
Moving back home after you've already flown the nest may not be the easiest thing in the world. You've been used to your independence and now you have to keep tidy and adhere to new rules. This new article looks at how you can get through it without having too many family feuds...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Stay out of the house as much as possible and count down the days until you move back out again.

That and pretend to be a grown up, helps you get treated like one.

Exactly 8 months until I move back out.
  • Options
    Ha ha - I've been back at home about 6 weeks after living away for 5 years and in my own house for 2, and I think it's brilliant!

I guess it helps that my parents are pretty chilled, I save a buttload on household bills and I get my meals cooked and my washing and ironing done for me :thumb:
  • Options
    I would move back home if I could...
  • Options
    I've got to spend a few nights at my parents' next week, so that I can get to work easily, and I'm dreading it. It's one thing popping round to visit or staying over after a night out but it's another thing entirely to feel like you're living by someone else's rules in someone else's house!
  • Options
    just thinking about it now and all my mates moved home after uni because it was the easy option, 2 years on and 99% of them are still there and not bothering to sort their life out so i'm glad i didn't....although i am a bit jealous of the cooked meals and washing/ironing gratis, grrr.
  • Options
    I seem to do most of the washing, ironing, dog walking and cooking for the meals I'm in for....
  • Options
    damn no wonder your parents let you stay :p i think it's safe to say you're in the minority of young adults living under their parents' roof...
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm hoping what I do will decrease now I'm working full time, it's not happening yet though.

Problem is it's shifts so not out the same time everyone else is and it seems expected that I should do useful things when I'm home.

But I don't pay rent so shouldn't really complain.
  • Options
    i still live at home and i'm 23 :D

have never left though do plan to move out in the next few years
  • Options
    Can't imagine having to move back !
  • Options
    I still live at home, I get my washing/ vast majority of my cooking done,and pay bugger all rent. I'm quite happy here, but I do want to move out, hopefully this year, cant afford it on the crappy salary I'm on at the moment (the cost of living is really high down here)
  • Options
    I moved back recently after nearly 5 years away. Its driving me up the fucking walls and all around the ceiling.

There are no coping strategies or easy ways out. Its like how I imagine prison but with a bit more freedom and worse food. I just keep my head down, count off the days I have left and pray to any god that may be in heaven that I don't become institutionalised!