Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Laptop recommendation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can anyone recommend a laptop for me to buy?

I'm going to need one for when i move out and have no idea what to buy

I'm looking to spend about £400 and would obviously like the best deal possible.

spec.

Software is not an issue, i can get that sorted easy enough
ram - at least a gig would be nice
hard drive at least 80gb
dvd/cd writer
decent sized screen (at least 15", but if anyone knows where to get a cheap vaio i wouldnt turn it down :hyper: )
processor - highest speed possible
wireless network card built in

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Don't quote me but I hear a lot of good things about Acer and you don't pay the earth either. Try Cougar Systems in Bulwell dude.
    I've seen a few acer systems, and they do seem to be built to a pretty good standard :)
    mrbox99 wrote: »
    Don't quote me but I hear a lot of good things about Acer and you don't pay the earth either. Try Cougar Systems in Bulwell dude.
    will do, thanks :)

anyone else got anything to reccomend? links if possible..
    nice thought but i cba to learn how to use a mac. I'm quite happy with my windows (and yes it will more than likely be running vista coolme :lol:)
    17 inch MacBook Pro with maxed out RAM :hyper:

Not for £400.
    save a bit more and get a macbook :)

Failing that, you can't go wrong with toshiba/HP/dell/samsung , stay away from bland generic laptops like 'mesh' or 'rock' though, as they're generally heavy horrible things with little to no support.

bought one of these for a customer the other month, very nice, and has biometrics too!. Only problem is the click button is rubbery, and has a tendancy to wear off if you spend lots of time on it.

and another of my customers has 3 acer laptops, the current deal is on this one, I think they all have glossy widescreens, and are very portable.

out of the two i'd prolly buy the HP tho :). Toshiba's designs tend to be a little on the bland side at the lower end of the market. they all look a little ugly.

hope that helped a bit.

edit: you're unlikely to get a laptop for £400 with 1gb in the spec.. Somehow =P.
    17 inch MacBook Pro with maxed out RAM :hyper:

heh, I have the normal macbook , with maxed out ram and hdd. It is sex, but I woulden't half mind trading it in for a mbp. I'm waiting for a 12" slim MBP to come onto the market though.
    I got a Compaq Presario C300, it's a 1.6ghz Celeron M with 1GB ram and a nice widescreen tft. Got that from PC World just before xmas for £400 - not sure if their still the same price, think you might be able to pick one up for 450-500 now.

PC World are doing an Advent 8109 for £399
    # Intel Celeron M 420 Processor 1.6GHz
    # 533MHz FSB
    # 1MB Cache
    # 1024MB RAM
    # 60GB Hard Drive
    # DVD ReWriter MultiDrive
    # 15.4" Widescreen Display
    # Microsoft Windows Media Center
    # 128MB UMA Shared Graphics
    # 1 year FREE warranty

Vista upgrade included.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0157037310.1170850181@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccegaddkdlefmelcflgceggdhhmdgmj.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=773711&category_oid=-27751
    icey wrote: »
    (and yes it will more than likely be running vista coolme :lol:)

WEW!!!!!
    noog wrote: »
    toshiba/HP/dell/samsung

Yay! You said Dell:)

Stay away from Toshiba, their laptops tend to be abit "er look at that thing"

Samsung i've never used one but HP are very good.

I say go with Dell because,
    a. i've had 2 of there laptops and no problems
    b. you get great support
    c. You know your getting what You asked for
    d. You get a Vista Upgrade!!!!

Heres there lovely laptop site your most likely want to get the middle range of there laptops like mee so heres a linkage!

Clicky!
    I said dell, they're cheap and cheerful, but the 17 inchers are heavy horrible things to use. the smaller ones are ok though :P
    noog wrote: »
    I said dell, they're cheap and cheerful, but the 17 inchers are heavy horrible things to use. the smaller ones are ok though :P

I would recommend a dell for a laptop, although I hate Dell desktops their laptops are ok. Even the bigger ones are ok as desktop replacements.
    lol Coolme, you love Vista and you like Dell. All you need now is AOL and your be l33t :P!
    Makoto wrote: »
    lol Coolme, you love Vista and you like Dell. All you need now is AOL and your be l33t :P!

ahaha! I don't like AOL used them back when i was a wew nipper haha!

I'm on blueyonder :flirt:

EDIT: I use the 17.5 Widescreen one :)