Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Iraq friendly fire video causes a storm

LONDON (Reuters) - U.S. and British officials denied trying to hide the details of a friendly fire incident on Tuesday after a classified cockpit video was leaked showing U.S. pilots mistakenly killing a British soldier.

Lance Corporal Matty Hull was killed by U.S. friendly fire during the second week of the invasion that toppled Saddam Hussein in 2003. A British coroner's investigation into his death has reignited questions over whether both allies are doing enough to protect their troops from friendly fire deaths.
Coroner Andrew Walker suspended his inquest last week after learning that there was video of the incident that the government would not allow Hull's family to see. That video was leaked to the Sun on Tuesday.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/06022007/325/iraq-friendly-fire-video-unleashes-storm.html

I don't know what's more pathetic: The US government sending ill-trained cowboys to machine gun their own allies and then covering it up, or the British government aiding the cover up in detriment of its own people and nation.

In fact, I know what's more pathetic: the latter. It's bad enough the US will look after its own even if it's wrong and they're breaking the rules or attempting to cheat justice. It's a lot worse when our own spineless govenment will aid a foreign nation to do so in detriment of the British people and the soldiers who are sent to fight wars by it.

Nauseating...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I thought friendly-fire was considered accidental death given the circumstances?
    That is to say, what justice are they escaping from?
  • Options
    Perpahs not so much them as their officers in charge.

They received minimal or no training at all about markings that allowed them to recognised Allied troops and vehicles, or even a crash course on what British vehicles looked like.

I should have imagined in such circumstances the family of the dead man and to a lesser extent those injured in the attack should be entitled to rather substantial compensation for the screw up. Concealing video footage of the event and only agreeing to release it after it's been leaked sounds like a serious offence to me.
  • Options
    What's worse is people second guessing events like this.

They happen in war.
  • Options
    It does look a bit dodgy being seen to cover it up though.
  • Options
    The cover up as always is the worst part, especially for the family in this case.

To be fair to the soldiers/pilots, Aladdin, if you listen to the tape they sound absolutely devastated when they realise whats happened.
  • Options
    What's worse is people second guessing events like this.

They happen in war.

What you doing posting on here??? Go look after that gorgeous baby of yours!!! ;)
  • Options
    Shit happens - you mix a fast moving recon element, a fast moving plane and a fluid battlefield and you'd be suprised they don't happen more often.

The pilots must be wrecked as well, it'd be bloody hard to live with killing some of your own and given that the same coroners court had an unlawful killing on both the blue on blue deaths in 1991 and Terry Lloyd you can perhaps see why the US fear the pilots being the subject of a witch hunt.

PS MoK you a father again?
  • Options
    PS MoK you a father again?

Yeah! He's the man! Check out the gorgeous baby pics in 'Anything Goes'.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Yeah! He's the man! Check out the gorgeous baby pics in 'Anything Goes'.

Yeah saw the pics - cute baby and now we know where Osama Bin Laden has being hiding as well :thumb:
  • Options
    Congratulations MoK! Can we expect you start posting frequently at 4 am during feed time? ;)
  • Options
    Regarding the subject in question, to be honest I don't blame pilots much. The blame should be mainly to those who failed to give them adecuate training.

But my main beef here is the subsequent video cover up. Specially by the British government. I wouldn't and didn't expect any better from the US government, but the British government??? Disgusting.
  • Options
    I'd say that the MoD and DoD both like to keep 99% of stuff secret if they can, and only release it when they must. Although it's terrible what happened, there's no major scandal - yea friendly fire unfortunately happens and probably will continue to happen. Yes, governments will try and cover it up and whitewash where possible, because that's what they do when it comes to things like this.

When was the last time you heard the government come out with a big scandal, holding their hands up saying 'we're sorry, it turns out we've done this'. It's just politics at the end of the day.

What I find peculiar is how - in general - friendly fire is (rightly so) perceived to be terrible, but the killing and injuring of civilians / non-combatants is clinically referred to as 'collateral damage', without inquiries and witch hunts. Really, the people who authorise use of cluster bombs in residential areas should at the very least be suspended for ignorance.

Sorry for my little side-rant :) it seems to be an inescapable reality that the government and the media think the value of human life is relative - to what country they're fighting for. A soldier signs up and knows he's giving his life. Someone sitting in their home or on their way to work have done no such thing.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    What I find peculiar is how - in general - friendly fire is (rightly so) perceived to be terrible, but the killing and injuring of civilians / non-combatants is clinically referred to as 'collateral damage', without inquiries and witch hunts. Really, the people who authorise use of cluster bombs in residential areas should at the very least be suspended for ignorance.
    That's because our governments (or you could say all warring governments not just ours and that of the US) don't give much of a shit about civilian lives despite what they might say. They're just an inconvenience, an obstruction to their objectives.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    That's because our governments (or you could say all warring governments not just ours and that of the US) don't give much of a shit about civilian lives despite what they might say. They're just an inconvenience, an obstruction to their objectives.

Or as we showed quite aptly in world war 2 whilst doing all the good stuff we were apparently in doing in saving the world, that targetting the civilian populations of germany was quite effective in breaking morale.

Hell, what's the point of fighting if you've no home and no family left to defend? Sorry, I really am starting to go off on one :).

For all the good that 'alls fair in love and war' - it's not fair, in my mind.
  • Options
    You know you guys can actually risk it and post your congratulations in the Anything Goes thread as well ;)
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    You know you guys can actually risk it and post your congratulations in the Anything Goes thread as well ;)

eh hem, Jim, we're P&D posters; the angsty antisocial troles of thesite. I think it's a rare occasion when we actually go toodle around in other forums.;)
  • Options
    doesnt it matter to anyone that the government would rather listen to the US government than the coroner who just WANTED TO BE ABLE TO SEE THE VIDEO to see how he died

if i were him id show it without their permission

then id probably be extradited to face charges, but at least i done the right thing
  • Options
    TBH placebo we know how he died, in a hail of bullets and in a warzone. That should be enough for a coroner really.

Instead it's turned into a political football and that's unnecessary.

Bottom line is that people will die during war. He was a soldier, he was in a warzone and he died. Hardly unheard of, is it?

Sure you can argue about the level of training but that won't stop events like this, they'll still happen. The only way to stop them is not to have wars at all and that is never going to happen.

And thank y'all for the comments. Both are well and sleeping at the moment. I'm making the most of it.
  • Options
    But are the military exempt from negiglence and incompetence?

Accidents due to bad luck or a chain of events are just that: accidents.

Accidents caused by unnaceptable lack of training and procedure are preventable and only happened due to negiglence by those in charge.

A resignation somwhere and a significant payout to the victims and their families wouldn't be out of place IMO.

And then there is the whole issue of sitting on the video footage and pretend it didn't exist.
  • Options
    Shit happens - you mix a fast moving recon element, a fast moving plane and a fluid battlefield and you'd be suprised they don't happen more often.

Fast moving or not, those Brits had orange panels to signal that they were FRIENDLY. The pilots thought the panels were rockets, they should of taken a better look. Our boys even let off red smoke which means their friendlies, yet the A10 Thunderbolt pilots still attacked again. They never had clearance to engage and they were not 100% sure they were Iraqi, they again questioned it after the first hit.

Want the tape?
  • Options
    But are the military exempt from negiglence and incompetence?

In incidents like this? You bet.

Do you want an inquiry into every single blue-on-blue?
    A resignation somwhere and a significant payout to the victims and their families wouldn't be out of place IMO.

He was a soldier, he died in a war. No payout and no damages.
    And then there is the whole issue of sitting on the video footage and pretend it didn't exist.

Perhaps the question really is, why is it considered "classified"?
  • Options
    Makoto wrote: »
    The pilots thought the panels were rockets, they should of taken a better look.

Indeed, that way - had those actually been rockets - we could be talking about dead pilots instead.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    The video show the pilots shooting at targets they couldn't identify. It shows that the Amnericans are quite happy to shoot at pretty much anything that moves.
    As it happens they were British so it's made the news, how many times do you thinks it's happened with just ordinary Iraqi civillians?
    Terry Lloyd? Who was shot and killed by the Yanks whilst travelling in an Iraqi ambulance, away from the battlefield.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Indeed, that way - had those actually been rockets - we could be talking about dead pilots instead.

If they were rockets they were being carried to another destination, the pilots thought the trucks were Russian ZIL 131's, their like the sort of thing you'd stick a horse in, not launch a missile from. They also thought they were what looked like flat bed trucks which would only carry small cargo and even if there was a rocket launcher system installed those pilots would of been in shit any way, not matter how close, assuming they were surface to air missiles.
  • Options
    Surely the incompetence charge here isn't against the pilots but against the people providing them information. They see what they think look like military vehicles, they check no friendly military vehicles are in the area - this confirmed - they attack.

If they didn't make this check they'd be to blame. Because they did it seems to be the incompetence of that intelligence that is at fault, not the pilots.
  • Options
    I heard in the radio that they were acting without authorization?

(Hence: "we're in jail, dude")
  • Options
    In incidents like this? You bet.

Do you want an inquiry into every single blue-on-blue?
    Wouldn't mind it myself :)

He was a soldier, he died in a war. No payout and no damages.
    But you don't believe in payout due to negiglence in any circumstances? Hypothetically speaking, how about if a tank was known to be defective and yet was knowingly sent to the battlefield by officers, and their occupants were killed because the tank broke up and was left behind?

Perhaps the question really is, why is it considered "classified"?
    Indeed...
  • Options
    The blame should be mainly to those who failed to give them adecuate training.

There's no training in the world for being told that there are no allied forces in the area, and then- just after you've released the bombs- being told that actually, there are. They did everything by the book, and you can hear the horror in their voices.

Shit happens in war. Would it have been better if it had been an Iraqi dropping the bomb? Or if it had been an Iraqi sitting under the bomb? Not really. But it wouldn't have been such a big issue (or indeed, any issue at all).

Of course there was a "cover up", but compared to Aldermaston this is nothing. The worst thing is that a national newspaper managed to get hold of a classified document.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote: »
    There's no training in the world for being told that there are no allied forces in the area, and then- just after you've released the bombs- being told that actually, there are. They did everything by the book, and you can hear the horror in their voices.

They asked the wrong question. Here are the errors...

ERROR ONE came when they asked the Forward Air Controller, call sign Manila Hotel, if friendly forces were around the Iraqi vehicles — not to the west.

ERROR TWO neither pilot gave the precise grid references for the Household Cavalry patrol to double check its identity.

ERROR THREE saw them convince themselves the identification panels were really orange rocket launchers.

In ERROR FOUR POPOV36 decides to attack, saying he is “rolling in” — without permission from the Forward Air Controller. POPOV35 asks for artillery to fire a marker round into the target area to clear up confusion.

ERROR FIVE came when POPOV36 attacked without waiting for it. In ERROR SIX POPOV36 strafes the column for a second time but still doubts its identity.

It's not just one mistake it's a catalogue of mistakes.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Mistakes happen in war.

I'm not going to get all worked up about it because if it had been an Iraqi convoy we wouldn't be sitting here complaining, and the same amount of people would be dead.