Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Being Transfered

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just out of curiously here.

If you work in retail and the management turn around and say they are transferring you to another of it's shops locally do you have to do so. If it is not written into your contract that they can do such a thing, can they really bump you out to another shop without even talking to you about it telling you they are thinking of doing it/would it be ok etc ...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i guess they cant make you move if you dont want, but they might get rid of you or something if you dont.

are you sure there is nothing within your contract about this? i know in all the jobs ive ever had there is always something in the contract about "you may be required to work throughout the UK" or something like that, im not sure the exact wording.

same as they usually cover themselves for working non contracted hours.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I know its in my contract: "You may have to work in alternative locations to suit the business need"
    In most retail contracts they can make you move to alternative reasonable locations for the needs of the business. They couldn't transfer you to a store in Brighton if you live in Newcastle, but they could feasibly transfer you to a shop a few miles away (say the MetroCentre). They would need to ensure that it was reasonable to expect you to do the extra travelling, though.
    It's not for myself i ask, as i said it was out of interest. There are a few staff in my store who have been told they are being moved to the shop along the road however they were not consulted whatsoever about it other than literally at the last minute being told they were being moved.

From what we know and can see there is no reason to do this but they wouldnt do it without reason so they'll need to dig deeper to find out why.

Thanks
    hi

They cant transfer you if u dont want to, u have to agree on paper etc.. ive transfered from 1 store to another because it closed, either that or redundent
    if its only along the road tho does it really matter? or are they just trying to make a point?
    It's mostly the point Koe. They are settled where they are, one of them comes from the outskirts of town and has a child were they to start changing her hours when she got there, well that could be very diffucult for her.

It's the fact that from what we know it isnt written into their contracts that they'd ever have to move stores therefore they shouldnt be forced to move, unless they are told a VERY good reason for it.
    But is the site specified in the contract?

That's how ours are done, we occasionally get switched between sites when one is desperate, but my contract is for DC, not DC on the Molesy site.
    Check your contract.

I am constantly being transferred to different offices within a 30 mile radius, it's a pain in the bum, and I can't claim travel expenses.
    That's what i told the people who have been told they're ebing moved to do. One of them was already away to check there contract and i know they won't hesitate in complaining if it doesnt state in the contract that they can move them.